RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

chuck01

Nov 11, 2005, 8:44 AM
Post #1 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Imperfection Training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

RAM BAR Imperfection Training, by Jamie Hale [November]
By Jamie, Hale coachhale@adelphia.net

Perfect with Imperfection Training

By Jamie Hale

When playing sports athletes are consistently faced with ever changing conditions.
Whether it be a quick cut on the football field or sprawling in wrestling the need for Imperfection Training is apparent. What is imperfection training? In general, this type of training refers to an exercise that exposes the body to a load that varies its position or is asymmetrical through out the movement. Your body responds by recruiting various stabilizer muscles.

Mel Siff coined the term Imperfection Training. He speaks about it extensively in Super training (the bible of strength and conditioning references).

The following is an excerpt from pg 457-458 of Super training by Mel Siff

the occurrence of injury is partly related to the philosophy of injury prevention. Currently, the emphasis is placed almost exclusively on prevention by means of avoidance of so called dangerous exercises and excessive volumes or intensities of loading. Unfortunately, this approach is limited in that it tends to neglect the vital aspect of preparation cope with less than optimal training and competitive situations. All-round sports must include the capability of coping with unexpected and sub-optimal conditions. In certain sports, where accidents are unexpected situations occur, such as the martial arts, parachuting and motor racing, participants are taught to deal with events that can have serious consequences. This type of preparation needs to be adopted far more extensively in all sports so that the athlete is able to anticipate threatening situations, react much more rapidly to unexpected circumstances, and take action to avoid or minimize injury, and cope with suboptimal conditions by practicing with imperfectly executed movements.

These strategies are rarely invoked, but they should be a standard item in the training repertoire of every athlete. After all, it is rarely possible to produce perfection of movement every time or balance one’s training loads very precisely, so it is logical to program the nervous system and brain to respond with effective contingency actions whenever imperfections of movement or accidents occur. For instance, it is not unusual to witness Russian Weightlifters holding a snatch overhead in the low squat position and shifting in different directions to the bar into unstable positions which they are then compelled to control by astute postural adjustments.

In general, exercise safety is largely a consequence of skill development and may be enhanced by imposing activities which progress carefully with respect to factors such as complexity, intensity, volume, speed, range of movement, duration, variety, level of fatigue and mental state.

Siff spoke abut Imperfection training extensively on his Super training Forum. He often indicated that this method of training with was also a key element he used in conditioning his athletes. He said there was no machine or device (currently) that could give athletes or general fitness practitioners the same benefits. I would agree with Siff 100%.

Coach Davies (founder of Renegade Training, author of Renegade Training for Football) is a firm believer of Imperfection Training. A couple of years ago when I was attending a Renegade Seminar in New Jersey Coach Davies introduced the Imperfect Overhead Squat (similar to what Siff refers to ). I performed an Overhead Squat held the position at the bottom, and was slightly pushed by Davies. This movement requires tremendous core stabilization as will as shoulder stabilization. A large portion of Coach Davies’ seminar was focused on the concept of chaos in training (Imperfection training). Various renowned strength coaches have used this type of training in their programs including Ethan Reeve and Pavel.

Introducing the Ram bar (Perfect for Imperfection)

The Ram Bar is the perfect tool for Imperfection Training.

The center of gravity is constantly shifting. The thick handle also makes it ideal for grip strength. Any movement performed with the Ram Bar will provide a different stimuli than that provided with a standard barbell. This tool has serious implications for anyone interested in enhancing fitness levels or athletic prowess.

Tips for using the Ram Bar

- Begin with light loads

- prepare for massive forearm pumps

- don’t attempt to use the same loads you were using with a standard Barbell (refer to begin with light loads)

- prepare for physical mayhem

- when performing Olympic lifts be sure you are adequately warmed up and have adequate shoulder flexibility (be careful with hitting the throat with bar when performing cleans)

Below is a workout I have been using with the Ram Bar (variations are endless)

High Hang Clean and Jerk w/ Behind neck push press 4sets 3 reps

High Hang close grip Power snatch 4sets 3 reps

Overhead Walks 2sets 200ft

Turkish getups 2sets 5reps

References
Siff, M. (2000). Super training. Mel C. Siff

Visit Coach Hale’s site at www.maxcondiition.com

Chuck Hedges
pkchuck@tds.net

lordshockspeare

Nov 11, 2005, 9:47 AM
Post #2 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Re: Imperfection Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice shameless self promotion!
I think I'll stick to Hangboard and campus boards for training for climbing.
As for as imperfect training goes... climbing has this sort of training built into it as it is constantly changing and and every route requires different movement and style. I doubt using a slightly bigger barbell will make much difference in anyones climbing but it could be useful for those who want to maintain finger strength away from the rocks.
Just my thoughts
chiao

tobym

Nov 11, 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #3 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is a Ram bar?

shear

Nov 11, 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #4 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol...ok chuckie... :roll:

chuck01

Nov 12, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No "Shameless Self Promotion" intended. I posted to contribute a training and conditioning technique that could be incorporated with the sport of rock climbing. The author of the article is coach Jamie Hale who is a sports conditioning coach, nutrition consultant and writes for numerous fitness and sports publications.

There are numerous training techniques that can be very beneficial to rock climbers, especially in the areas of the hand, forearm and shoulders. A large portion of our clientele is Military and Law enforcement and I'm sure they value a variety of options in insuring their physical preparedness.

Please feel free to treat my postings like a radio station, if its not your style, just change the channel.

Charles Hedges
Torque Athletic
www.torqueathletic.com

chalkfree

Nov 12, 2005, 5:53 AM
Post #6 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, have you ever noticed that not too many of the best of us are really cut out for the marines?

Heavy weights aren't really the big thing here, climbing is about technique, balance, flow, finger strength, flexibility, and yeah sometimes muscle. But more often then not the sort of muscle obtained from workouts involving the sort of lifting equipment torque sells just gets in the way.

Not to say you're not welcome here, just to say that sometimes self promotion is just that.

anykineclimb

Nov 12, 2005, 7:42 AM
Post #7 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the post chuck.
Don't worry about the peanut gallery here. So many people on rc.com are tunnel visioned into "just' climbing and doing it the only way the magazines tell them how. Just because they don't think it'll work for them doesn't mean its not good information. :twisted:

I've been to you site (torque) before and its got some good info.

tyson16v

Nov 12, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #8 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the post chuck.
Don't worry about the peanut gallery here. So many people on rc.com are tunnel visioned into "just' climbing and doing it the only way the magazines tell them how. Just because they don't think it'll work for them doesn't mean its not good information. :twisted:

I've been to you site (torque) before and its got some good info.

i totally agree. thank you for posting. the more variety we get here the better.

chuck01

Nov 12, 2005, 8:11 AM
Post #9 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the good words. I was beginning to think that rock climbing was some form of spiritual meditation and that no muscles were needed. Thanks for bringing the body back to the sport.

We might not all be Marines, but we should all take training tips where we can find them being applied effectively.

Stay Strong

Chuck Hedges

tyson16v

Nov 12, 2005, 8:22 AM
Post #10 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most people who bag on others training techniques on here will never take the time to try it themselves to see whether or not it works for them.
dont knock it till...........

bensnyder

Nov 16, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #11 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is generally accepted that the most effective conditioning exercizes for climbing are sport specific and utilize body weight for resistance...

I'll let the rest of you draw conclusions from here...

As for you Chuck Norris, when your atheletes have the strength required to do any of the following, let me know:

one finger pullups
front lever
one arm lock off at 90 degrees held for 30 seconds

chuck01

Nov 17, 2005, 7:21 AM
Post #12 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As for you Kip Dynamite, if you can pull your claws in for a second and actually visit www.torqueathletic.com and do a little looking.

You will notice we not only design Strength Equipment, but also design and produce Body Weight Resistance pieces. A large number of our athletes primarily do use the body weight resistance training.

In their line of business they aren't interested in their benching powers but in developing overall body weight strength.

I'll let you all draw your on conclusions...

I'll see your bet Kip and raise you

Pavel Tsatsouline
Nate Morrison
Jeff Martone
Alfredo Desphy

Chuck

tyson16v

Nov 17, 2005, 8:05 AM
Post #13 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Pavel Tsatsouline
Nate Morrison
Jeff Martone
Alfredo Desphy

Chuck

bensnyder

Nov 17, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #14 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Pavel Tsatsouline
Nate Morrison
Jeff Martone
Alfredo Desphy

Chuck

It apears I spoke too early! Point taken. Sorry. Maybe you should talk about these Body Weight resistance pieces - I bet there is a lot more interest in these products around here.

icarus_burned

Nov 17, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #15 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It is generally accepted that the most effective conditioning exercizes for climbing are sport specific and utilize body weight for resistance...

I'll let the rest of you draw conclusions from here...

As for you Chuck Norris, when your atheletes have the strength required to do any of the following, let me know:

one finger pullups
front lever
one arm lock off at 90 degrees held for 30 seconds

find a "good climber" who can do those things and let me know also

iltripp

Nov 17, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #16 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In certain sports, where accidents are unexpected situations occur, such as the martial arts, parachuting and motor racing, participants are taught to deal with events that can have serious consequences. This type of preparation needs to be adopted far more extensively in all sports so that the athlete is able to anticipate threatening situations, react much more rapidly to unexpected circumstances, and take action to avoid or minimize injury

This is definitely true. Learning how to roll/fall in martial arts as a kid has come in extremely handy many times and prevented a number of injuries. It's not something you normally think about, but it's a useful skill to have.

bensnyder

Nov 17, 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #17 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris Sharma
Wolfgang Gullich (could)
John Gill
The list goes on and on...

Most all professional/elite climbers can do these exercizes with relative ease. I am not suggesting that the fact that they can do these exercizes makes them good climbers, but they do showcase their strength...

sidepull

Nov 17, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #18 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.camp4.com/photos/4/onearmed.jpg

sidepull

Nov 17, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #19 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if you read Peformance Rock Climbing you'll note that a lot of the exercises - bouldering blindfolded, one-arm traverses, metaphorical climbing (climbing like a sloth, gecko, or cat) - all build in imperfection. Similarly, as an earlier poster mentioned, climbing has an enormous amount of built in variability and therefore imposes imperfection training. That's probably also the reason for such a high incidence of injuries in the sport.

I guess I'm saying that there's nothing theoretically wrong with what is being introduced by the OP (although it does feel very informercially) and in fact a lot of us already implicitly endorse it. That said, I think implementing this into a training regimen requires pretty good guidance or else injury will be a more likely result than improvement - "yeah, my tendons are all blown - I'm imperfect!"

icarus_burned

Nov 18, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #20 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i really must work on my sarcastic one liner delivery

tyson16v

Nov 18, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #21 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i really must work on my sarcastic one liner delivery

this is key for optimal training.

icarus_burned

Nov 19, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #22 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

truly, when i hear one directed at me when im training i always push that extra bit

things like

"that was quick"
"nice move"
"stop running so FAST"

in the right context can all be awesome catalysts

tyson16v

Nov 19, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #23 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
truly, when i hear one directed at me when im training i always push that extra bit

things like

"that was quick"
"nice move"
"stop running so FAST"

in the right context can all be awesome catalysts

i base all my coaching on this principal.

chuck01

Nov 23, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #24 of 24 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no harm, no foul man...

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook