RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kungfuclimber

Aug 6, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Hauling barrels
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm cheap. Cheap and lazy.
I'm thinking of converting two 64L (13gal) barrels into hauling barrels.

Any thoughts?

krustyklimber

Aug 6, 2002, 10:15 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Hauling barrels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, (you have no name?)

Welcome,

Not a bad idea, as ideas go, but the real hard part is attaching straps that won't get rubbed off by the rock. You'll either have to add a skirt at the top of the bucket (like Pika's haul drums), or perhaps the straps could run through slots in the lid and the floor of the buckets, thus having the straps riding inside the bucket.

Go look at the Pika Haul Drum to see what I mean about there being no straps to be abraded, it's here, http://www.pikamtn.com/11climbingbags.html

I hope this helps,

Jeff

P.S. How you gonna carry these buckets full of heavy gear to the base of the wall? I once carried a bucket with little weight in it and I thought my arm was gonna fall off. Pika's belay seat/straps may be another thing you'll want to check out (this is how you carry theirs).

bigwalling

Aug 6, 2002, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They will make an awful noise on stuff that isn't over hanging.

kungfuclimber

Aug 7, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the lack of info on my person previously, but I did mention I was lazy.

Actually, I had written quite a good message, full of description and humour. Then the server ate it. Properly pissed at the technology at work I wrote the above message.

Where I'm climbing is approached by boat and tops out near a parkway/lookout/parking lot. So the carrying of these stiff pigs will be kept to a minimum.

The straps (as mentioned in my previous, etherial, post) are my main concern. I think the bottom of the barrel idea will lead to some funky center of gravity issues. The skirt is a good idea. I was thinking perhaps I could rivet on a layer of thick plastic on top of where the straps are exposed to keep them from going Bobbit.

Keep those ideas coming!

krustyklimber

Aug 7, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O.K. I have been thinking on this and how 'bout you get some old fire hose, cut two pieces long enough to go under the drum, rivet those to the drum with washers on both sides and the bottom, after you've run the webbing through them. If they are longer than the drum is high the rock will never rub through the fire hose and webbing IMHO.

A fire extinguisher company would be a good place to source the hose (don't steal it from your apartment hall) they may even give you some scraps.

I'll keep thinking on this...

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-08-06 18:38 ]

freeclmr

Aug 7, 2002, 5:37 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny thing is that the new issue of Climbing magazine had a one page article in the Aid-tips section on how to make a cheap-o haul bucket out of those plastic 5 gallon detergent containers. Actually seemed pretty interesting and do-able.
But, IMHO, save your pennies and buy the real thing. That way you won't look like a freakin' idiot hauling a train of 5 gallon Biz-Clean detergent buckets up that wall and be sorry when it explodes against a dihedral when it takes the big swing.

apollodorus

Aug 7, 2002, 5:57 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right on the money. But go large. Supersize. 33 gallon polyethylene barrels are about the same size as a grade VI haul bag. Well, they're a bit big. But, those barrels are tough and slippery. Polyethylene is a first cousin to teflon, and to this day they use polyethylene for fake knee and hip joints. Low friction. That sort of thing.

If you're going to use a barrel as a haul bag, you need to think about using it as a pack, too. So, make SURE your strap system holds the thing high enough that the bottom is above, well, above YOUR bottom. You want it to sit high. Sure, it'll catch on trees, but the worst thing is to have a haul bag that sags past your azz as you slog up to the base. I know. My Blue Whale (in every other way a complete success as a wall fixture) was PURE HELL to carry because the strap were mounted too high, and it dragged against my azz as I fought it.

Another benefit of the barrel, which I extrapolate from using a five gallon bucket, is that it is easy to get at Your Stuff. A typical haul bag is a real bitch to go headfirst into when it's almost empty to find that tiny little thing you need RIGHT NOW. I have very fond memories of being able to put my camera into the five-gallon bucket just as the rainstorm moved in on us. And knowing that the lid would seal.

Check out tag lines, by searching (I'm too lazy, sorry .. . ) for the way to hang multiple small pigs instead of a huge one.

passthepitonspete

Aug 8, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom is right on with his comments.

He means Catch Lines, and not "tag lines," which are a completely different animal.

Your barrel must be both carryable and bombproof during hauling.

Make it so.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook