Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
What does the "rate" button on a forum post mean?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sarcat

Oct 13, 2004, 3:56 PM
Post #26 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Re: What does the "rate" button on a forum post me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks tim.

By the way, NICE JOB!!!

healyje

Oct 13, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #27 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a way of searching based on ratings, say show me the best and worst of the week?

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 13, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #28 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there a way of searching based on ratings, say show me the best and worst of the week?

Not yet but I think this is defineitly a good idea - another one to add to the top ten list perhaps..

Highest Rated Posts of the Week

Partner one900johnnyk

Nov 7, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #29 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is not a good idea...

johnson6102002

Nov 7, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #30 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why have i not had the chance to vote ever? i check the site daily while logged in and it has never worked ever

ptone

Nov 19, 2004, 6:32 AM
Post #31 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked in and *bing* I got the ýou can rate posts today'flag.
Tho I'm anarchical enough to disagree with the whole good/bad thing as usually applied (lobster is bad--makes me swell up and choke, but I found out cause I believed everyone who said it was good and blindly crammed some in my craw)
The poo turned golden when I read it's about the posts, not the people.

I wonder--can we go pin a ribbon on a golden oldie that sparked a gem of wisdom (or a good fight) or are we restricted to current posts only?

Just a thought:

You guys should put up a top ten posts of all time or the week or something now and again, cause there are so many day in day out that if we're offline for a while, lots of good stuff gets buried.

Edited to say--was I thinking or what--óf course its about individual posts not threads. For some reason a top ten list suddenly seems like less of a good idea...

peace,
-p

Partner cliffhanger9

Nov 19, 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #32 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just a thought:

You guys should put up a top ten posts of all time or the week or something now and again, cause there are so many day in day out that if we're offline for a while, lots of good stuff gets buried.

Edited to say--was I thinking or what--óf course its about individual posts not threads. For some reason a top ten list suddenly seems like less of a good idea...

peace,
-p

I thought this was good idea at first too...the problem is, unfortunately, there are just enough immature anonymous flamers out there to ruin this for everyone..You see it with the photo gallery, especially the pics that make it to the front page...anything in a high traffic/high profile place is going to get poo bombed :roll:

hoofers_andy

Dec 23, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #33 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just used all five votes to throw poo at curt on his 'new belay technique' thread. muahahaha

now how do we see the results of these votes?

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 23, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #34 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i just used all five votes to throw poo at curt on his 'new belay technique' thread. muahahaha

You have entirely failed to understand the point of this system. I m sorry..

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Partner tim

Dec 23, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #35 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just a thought:

peace,
-p

I thought this was good idea at first too...the problem is, unfortunately, there are just enough immature anonymous flamers out there to ruin this for everyone..You see it with the photo gallery, especially the pics that make it to the front page...anything in a high traffic/high profile place is going to get poo bombed :roll:

Actually, I feel like the front page photo does pretty well -- the best shots tend to accumulate so many high votes that the flamers get drowned out (plus of course the bomb votes are >3 std devs out of the norm so they get tossed). I'm probably going to set up something similar so that the probability of a thread getting bumped onto the front page is proportional to its overall rating as well as the most recent post... of course that, and meta-moderation ("is this rating fair?") are lower priorities than fixing Events and the Routes Database, as well as setting up the Partners Search tool, which I have encountered a new and irritating snag in.

So, at some point I'll use the vote totals for more than just plunking threads into a person's 'Popular posts' profile page. But not yet.

Dan, thanks for clearing up much of my original thinking. You and Jon are becoming very good at this (judgement, not just code).

Partner tim

Dec 23, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #36 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You realize that only one of those votes was counted, don't you?

bandycoot

Feb 21, 2005, 7:03 PM
Post #37 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this rating thing strike anyone else as completely worthless? There is no longer a way to see what posts have been rated highly in the profile under the "Posts" tab and there's never been any way to find out if someone thought your post was a steaming pile of poo. I used to rate posts highly if it was good or I wanted to find important information easily, but now it's completely worthless since it was removed from the profiles.

Josh

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 21, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #38 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does this rating thing strike anyone else as completely worthless? There is no longer a way to see what posts have been rated highly in the profile under the "Posts" tab and there's never been any way to find out if someone thought your post was a steaming pile of poo. I used to rate posts highly if it was good or I wanted to find important information easily, but now it's completely worthless since it was removed from the profiles.

Josh

Not sure I understand. They are still visible in profiles... :?

bandycoot

Feb 23, 2005, 6:41 AM
Post #39 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, I know what was missing. The "Posts" section has been changed a lot. You used to be able to see what posts of yours were rated highly, and now you can't. I for some reason I assumed that was gone for everyone, but it's just yourself. My bad.

Josh

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 23, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #40 of 48 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah, I know what was missing. The "Posts" section has been changed a lot. You used to be able to see what posts of yours were rated highly, and now you can't. I for some reason I assumed that was gone for everyone, but it's just yourself. My bad.

Josh

Scroll down...I can see my own...reads something like this..

Your highest-rated posts

Partner tim

Feb 28, 2005, 5:51 AM
Post #41 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Josh

Scroll down...I can see my own...reads something like this..

Your highest-rated posts

That section of profiles is getting pretty big... maybe I should add toggles to it like with FAQs and such.... hmmm.

If you ever need to add a toggle for a div, just use a like with the URL "javascript:unhide('name_of_your_div')" and declare the div as class="toggle". The thing will hide/unhide more or less effortlessly.

This would not be notable except for the fact that everything else in the codebase seems to be effort-ful ;-)

We should knock out the redesigned FP this week. It will be fun, and it will turn some heads, and get rid of a lot of crap. Much toggling and CSS should be included.

rjtrials

Mar 23, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #42 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While reading this thread, I realized that even though I prefer lurking around the forums and rarely posting, I can still contribute to the site.

Imagine my despondence when I tried to trophy a vote, "Server not responding" was the gift that I recieved.

Oh well, I guess maybe votes will be granted later.

RJ

ari_jebolan

Jun 1, 2005, 9:38 AM
Post #43 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how a U, :)
am from indonesia
regard

Partner tisar

Jun 1, 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #44 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how a U, :)
am from indonesia
regard

:shock: I rate this the most random post ever... :lol: :lol:

- Daniel

tnmountainman

Nov 14, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #45 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I logged on and saw that I could rate posts and I read this entire thread to see what it was about and then I browsed the threads on the home page, thought I would try out my new rating liberties and I tried to rate about 4 seperate posts and each time I clicked on the rate button it said that I hade 5 rates left and that there was a problem with registering my rate.

"Error in processing your vote"

Can anyone explain/help, may just be a glitch in the system? :?

Partner tim

Nov 14, 2005, 5:29 AM
Post #46 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I logged on and saw that I could rate posts and I read this entire thread to see what it was about and then I browsed the threads on the home page, thought I would try out my new rating liberties and I tried to rate about 4 seperate posts and each time I clicked on the rate button it said that I hade 5 rates left and that there was a problem with registering my rate.

"Error in processing your vote"

Can anyone explain/help, may just be a glitch in the system? :?

Could be, what browser are you using? Javascript on/off/whatever?

The system hashes everything that it is keeping track of (who you are / what IP you are using / what vote you sent) in an attempt to enforce a little integrity on the system... if it gets back a bizarre hash that doesn't correspond to the data, it will complain. Not sure if that's what's happening here, though.

Another possibility is that the system legitimately isn't getting part of the request, or is having trouble stuffing it into the database. It's hard for me to debug these things remotely, since people use so many different setups.
But I'll see what I can do if you can give me a little more information.

I like the mechanism I used for the process, usually it is fairly effortless and everything works great. When it doesn't... well, that's another story.

Partner philbox

Nov 14, 2005, 6:49 AM
Post #47 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim, I just voted your last post a gold trophy to check if the system is working so at the time stamp on my post it is definitely working. That said for the last couple of months I have had to click the voting icon about two or three times to get the gold trophy/poo icons to display.

tnmountainman

Nov 26, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #48 of 48 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey tim, I have experienced the same problem as I reported in my last post. I just now thought about looking at this thread again :oops: and I saw your reply to my post. Anyhow, I am almost a complete retard when it comes to computers. I am on AOL, on a standard dial up, past that I don't know much of anything else. Possibly PM me and I will correspond w/you to try to fugure out why I am still having the same problem.

Thanks, Ray

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook