RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

markjarvie

Dec 4, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Advice on this please
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have recently come up with a plan of my own. due to me being 16 and not being able to drive to get to my gym, or the outdoor world, i have to resort to other methods of training.

My question is this. Will me wearing a 0.5Kg wrist weight ALL the time (apart from rock climbing, sleep, shower) help my arm strength for rock climbing. or will it just injure my shoulder or something. 8^)

Mark.

cjstudent

Dec 4, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Re: Advice on this please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure that will help you pick up the ladies.

Have you ever heard of a hangboard?

misanthropic_nihilist

Dec 4, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion: No. At least nowhere near enough to out-weigh the annoyance of wearing weights on your arms all the time. Finger strength and endurance is way more important than upper arm endurance (your biceps are much bigger than your forearm muscles). But above all: technique is the most important skill; and that you can only learn on a wall.

If you really can't get to the gym at all, I'd say the best way to get ready for climbing is to get on a general work out schedule. Do lots of running to drop any extra weight you're carrying around and increase your overall endurance, do sit ups to strengthen your core, which will help you out on overhung stuff, and do pull ups to work out your upper body.

You're idea represents what most people want: results with minimal effort. I wish I could climb harder just by wearing a bracelet when I'm at home. So I'm going to guess that you'll probably say to yourself "Running? Sit ups? Pull ups? Screw that," and come up with reasons to convince yourself that you don't need the work out and won't benefit from it. So here's what I'm getting at: I'm that type of person too, and the only type of workout I do is rock climbing. It's the best way to get better at climbing, and it's the only workout you'll enjoy. Basically, find a way to get your ass to the gym. Worst case scenario: you have to wait a few months 'til you get your license.

jeapord

Dec 4, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a rock climbing book or look at www.trainingforclimbing.com, I bought books to learn how to train because I had no one to tell me because I live in Mississippi. How to Climb 5.12 by Eric Horst is a really good book, he also has a few others.

sick_climba

Dec 4, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

And if you can't get a hang board use the top edge of a door triming... or better yet go biuldering! Good luck dude

iltripp

Dec 4, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And if you can't get a hang board use the top edge of a door triming... or better yet go biuldering! Good luck dude

Good idea... Just don't fall and break your wrist on the sidewalk...

While there is no substitute for climbing, there are a million things you can do to put yourself in good physical shape, most of which require very little equipment. Rather than wear a weighted armband, devote yourself to other ways to train. Do pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc. Work your cardio with some running and/or swimming. Do things that help balance like slacklining (fun too) or martial arts, and do yoga to develop wicked core strength. Add in a hang-board, and you've got your finger workout as well. That way, when you can get out and climb, at least you'll be in good shape.

Or, you can go out and do what this guy does:
http://video.google.com/...6227308929&q=russian

climbilicious

Dec 4, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that video is crazy! yep, i think that wold improve your climbing skillz :P

markjarvie

Dec 4, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok. but i already have a hang board and i already do pull ups press ups (although not running sounds like a plan) but I'm wondering if wearing these things will actually help my arm muscle and surely my endurance too? seeing as I'm small ( :( ) and skinny ( :) ) i don't really have a prob with figure strength only really endurance in my arms, so will this help?

Partner lagarita

Dec 5, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That video waaaaas crazy!!!! Through the whole thing I was looking to see if there was a cop chasing those guys.

Sean

howzit_rockin

Dec 5, 2005, 5:13 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at this stuff...it's pretty good. Coach Sommer's article helped a lot, and I found a lot more of his articles elsewhere on the internet. This kind of stuff is true strength...have fun.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94799

that video was ricidulously cool...i am motivated

mcgivney_nh

Dec 5, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my opinion: No. At least nowhere near enough to out-weigh the annoyance of wearing weights on your arms all the time. Finger strength and endurance is way more important than upper arm endurance (your biceps are much bigger than your forearm muscles).

There are things for guitar (or maybe aggressive piano players :lol: :lol: ) called finger weights, you could wear those all the time... find them here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/...ail/base_pid/429080/

-Sean

PS hope that link worked...

bobruef

Dec 5, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have recently come up with a plan of my own. due to me being 16 and not being able to drive to get to my gym, or the outdoor world, i have to resort to other methods of training.

My question is this. Will me wearing a 0.5Kg wrist weight ALL the time (apart from rock climbing, sleep, shower) help my arm strength for rock climbing. or will it just injure my shoulder or something. 8^)

Mark.

Napoleon, is that you?

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook