RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

hosebeats

Dec 20, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Brisbane in late January
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My ship, the USS Ronald Reagan, will be pulling into Brisbane sometime in late January. So far they have had talks about organizing climbing trips but those always end up with 2 or 3 topropes on easy climbs and a ton of gumbies milling around at the base of the cliff. I'd rather avoid that.

There are 4 or 5 of us that actually climb on a regular basis. None of us are really any that good but we would like to escape the hordes of mouth breathers. So we are looking for some people to hook up with and make it out to do some sport leading. Nothing terribly hard, I can onsight most 5.10's and everyone else can climb 5.9's and easy 10's. Thats somewhere around 19-22's on your scale? We'll even go boulder if thats the better stuff in the area.

We will be bringing a few ropes and draws. Any other gear is too bulky and heavy to stash on board. We'll buy the gas, food, and beer for anyone that wants to truck us around and show us some good stuff.

-grady

mattw

Jan 10, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Re: Brisbane in late January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there you can try posting a message on www.qurank.com which is the Queensland climbing website there is a section in the forums for people seeking climbing partners, there are heaps of Brissy climbers on the site. Id love to help you out if I was back home but im currently travelling round Canada.

good luck.

kachoong

Jan 10, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there.....

After living in the Brisbane area for the last two years, my first advice would be to watch out for the January heat and humidity. It's blistering at times and most climbers will be concentrating their efforts after sunrise till about 11am and then again in the evening. You can climb at Kangaroo Point all night if you want since it's floodlit. This crag is in the middle of the city and sees quite a bit of climber traffic. It predominantly a top roping crag, but plenty of sport routes have been established there. At your level you shouldn't find it difficult finding enough climbs for days on end. The guide can be purchased locally for around $10.

The Glasshouse Mountains is an hour drive north of Brisbane and there are a few walls that are "climbable" in summer. You will encounter freak storms, dripping humidity, horseflies, mosquitos and oven-like temps on north-facing walls. Stay on the south-facing walls, climb mostly in the morning, take insect repellant and plenty of water.... the views are awesome and worth the visit if you're only in Brisbane for a few days.
The climbing there has become more sport-friendly, however you must be careful choosing your climbs. If you have only led sport, and especially if you've just started, approach the Glasshouse Mountains climbing with caution and if you can, wear helmets. If you can, try and meet a local climber who knows the crags up there and go with them.

As Matt suggested, put a message up on qurank and they should hook you up. Ask philbox, as he is a great source of info and experience.

Good luck, enjoy your visit and climb safe!

saundersrob

Jan 15, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Grady,

Rob here, did you get my PM or did I stuff it up?

If not send me an email, I may be able to help you out.

Rob

linnyozz

Jan 24, 2006, 4:36 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its very bloody hot here right now - when are you going climbing? linny

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook