Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
What is it with younger climbers sticking to bouldering?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner phaedrus

Dec 20, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #76 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Bouldering.

remi

Dec 20, 2005, 8:49 PM
Post #77 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is it with younger climbers sticking to bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't get it, how does bouldering overtake rope climbing? Don't know who Chris & Klem or this Jason guy are...I guess its pretty pure though, I mean, obviously having half a dozen crashpads, 3 spotters and 2 guys taking video is more pure than a rope and a rack :roll:

rispo

Dec 20, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #78 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are many possible reasons for not getting roped up, not just simply he wants to be the next Sharma. The head for leading and getting up on rope is simply different than bouldering, mentally he could just not have it together to have an enjoyable time getting up on rope. After all it is all about having fun in the end, whether that means being a well rounded climber, alpinist, boulderer, trad, sport, solo. Who are we to criticize the style in which someone else chooses to climb. It sounds more elitist to say he and others like him are ruining the sport. You should read the book "Feeding the Rat" it may help you gain perspective on why climbing is a pastime and not a whole sport. Please, don't flame this statement until you read the book (because when you do read it, you'll feel like an ass).

insanefox

Dec 20, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #79 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just think that bouldering is for training, i only do it from monday to friday so i can go to the rock on saturday and sunday.

But of course that having enough money to buy gear is very important.

dingus

Dec 20, 2005, 9:40 PM
Post #80 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went bouldering Saturday.

It was fun.

DMT

roshiaitareya

Dec 20, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #81 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Re: phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think bouldering can be fun. And good for training. If people only want to boulder, more power to them, besides that means fewer people making the lines long at the crag right?

climb_ian

Dec 20, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #82 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personaly im 16 and love trad and sport mostly bouldering is fun way to get strong but if im going to throw in on gas money im going to get up on a rope .... p.s climbing club?! Thats sick.

caughtinside

Dec 20, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #83 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It was fun.

DMT

Where? It was raining all over the place.

And no it wasn't. Fun, that is.

bbrock

Dec 20, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #84 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These young kids boulder because they are afraid to admit they don't know what they are doing. Roped climbing involves learning from someone who is better than you and being humble while you learn the involved procedures. The last thing alot of young kids want to do is be humble and pay their dues.

dingus

Dec 20, 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #85 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It was fun.

DMT

Where? It was raining all over the place.

And no it wasn't. Fun, that is.

Burl and I went in to send the Monster of the Middle Fork. The storm arrived about 8 hours earlier than the forecast indicated. It was cloudy at 7 am.

We scoped out a new approach some kind rc.com soul told me about... 10 minutes from the car to the top of the descent gully. It started rain spotting as we packed a pre-descent bowl. We decided that being 3 pitches up a III friction climb with an approaching winter storm would sorta suck.

"Burl, there's good bouldering 10 minutes from here."

Easiest sales pitch of 2005 I must say.

Big Bald Rock, Middle Fork of the Feather.

Not a destination, but a good half day diversion. It didn't start really raining until much later in the day.

Caught some good pow pow at Bear on Sunday too.

DMT

pdx_climber

Dec 20, 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #86 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
These young kids boulder because they are afraid to admit they don't know what they are doing. Roped climbing involves learning from someone who is better than you and being humble while you learn the involved procedures. The last thing alot [sic] of young kids want to do is be humble and pay their dues.
That is by far the most ignorant and elitist statement I've ever read on this forum. Surely you can't be serious.

dingus

Dec 20, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #87 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is by far the most ignorant and elitist statement I've ever read on this forum. Surely you can't be serious.

That was far from the juiciest and fattest worm I have ever seen on this forum. Surely you didn't swallow it?

DMT

cmacblue42

Dec 21, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #88 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i boulder for a couple reasons. first off it is cheaper and well, cheaper is better. second off, it is harder to find a partner etc, 3rd off, i enjoy bouldering a lot and it is somehting my parents can ust drop me offatthe gym to do. if i ever envision myself roped climbing, it would either be in college or when i turn 16 and can drive and have some climbing freinds. personally, if i was in your school's climbing club and i went to josh and you had your rope and al your gear, i would love to sport climb. i am an open minded individual and would not really dismiss other forms of climbing like that.

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 21, 2005, 3:36 AM
Post #89 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd take my axes, hammer, pons, pins, fist full of screws, hexs and tri-cams for a shitty alpine route any day; over rock humping :roll:

climberboy193838

Dec 21, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #90 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i prefer rope but i go with whatever competitive season it is....i hate bouldering because there is a lot of big moves but it does help with technique and strength.....i guess im a little of both....yep........i just want it to be rope season now.... bouldering is getting old.....only a few more weeks.....

nola_angie

Dec 21, 2005, 4:55 PM
Post #91 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was *ahem* younger, I mainly bouldered for a coupla reasons:

I could not afford gear (yeah, Iworked, but I also had to buy my own clothing, car notes and insurance etc not that I knew what I needed or how to use it!

But also, I didn't have enough of a set at that age to really function that far outside of my comfort zone. It takes guts to say yeah, I can boulder, but I've never done *this* before can you show me how? Your asking them to be a small fish in a big pond again- that's rough for a lot of people!

Or maybe they just dig more on the social aspect of hanging out and watching- in that case, they won't be climbing forever, so chill out and let them enjoy the little their letting themselves experience!

Come the 10 year, most of them will be fat and saying "remember when we used to climb together", and you'll just chuckle and groom calluses.

namoclimber

Dec 21, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #92 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its stupid to argue the point on this subject when many of the top boulder climbers are also the top climbers in the world.
Its all rock the moves are either powerful or not and its all about the experience and if your afraid of getting shown up, by kids cranking moves you could only dream of doing, thats your problem.

shut up and climb!

pappy

Dec 23, 2005, 1:14 PM
Post #93 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i myself being your age i think could give you my answer. i have done all kinds of climbing but bouldering is just funner in my opinion. but thats my preference. i dont think there is a main reason why younger kids do it more as you said i just think maybe its because you dont need to deal with alot like ropes and micros and all that stuff just chalk shoes crashpad and some buddies. :)

azrockclimber

Dec 23, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #94 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't consider boulderers climbers anyway so...( i.e. people who only boulder..) No, I don't care if you hate that.

Boulderers are like birds without wings.

However, people who can climb trad, hit some sport, climb a big wall, bag an occasional peak, and pull down hard on boulders around the camp fire or the tent site....KICK MAJOR ASS!!!

my 2 cents.

dynosore

Dec 23, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #95 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People who boulder: burned out traddies, people who climb for primarily social reasons, people who are afraid of heights, people with no money for gear

People who trad climb: people too weak to boulder, people who love buying shiny objects, people with money to burn, people who thrive on the challenge of keeping your head together, antisocial bastards

Since I'm all of the latter, guess I'll continue to pursue trad climbing

moonshine505

Dec 23, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #96 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yay!! :lol: Another trad-climbers rule vs boulderer's suck thread!!! Happy Holidays!! DOWN WITH BOULDERING IT"S NOT REAL CLIMBING. :twisted:

Here's a comparison for those with the patience to read 7 pages of chest-thumping puffery. After 15 years of snowboarding, I can say that I don't generally like the "snowboarding community" all that much. Too many punks. I can honestly say, though, that I LIKE the climbing community. I'm very glad that over the years, the hundreds of climbers I've met sport climbing, trad climbing, bouldering, and Ice Climbing across New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, California, Nevada and New York, that I genuinely LIKE climbers as a community. American climbers, german climbers, spanish climbers, swiss climbers, and yes, for those of you freedom-fry eating patriots out there, I even like the french climbers I've met.

So here's the obvious catch...I've never once run into you bastards that haunt rockclimbing.com and do nothing but bitch about how your faction of the sport is the best and try to bring everyone else down. I can't honestly imagine sitting at indian creek talking with someone about how boulderers are wimps and trad climbing rules. I also can't imagine sitting around the campfire at Hueco talking about how bouldering is just the best and everything else sucks. In my experience, these things just don't happen in real life. I'm glad rockclimbing.com doesn't represent what I see as the real world of climbing.

nate_fordham

Dec 24, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #97 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 14 and i love to boulder, i still love to sport climb, but when i boulder i feel free, there isn't any ropes or gear to get in the way. plus, your crash pad acts as your harness.

sick_climba

Dec 24, 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #98 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm 14 and i love to boulder, i still love to sport climb, but when i boulder i feel free, there isn't any ropes or gear to get in the way. plus, your crash pad acts as your harness.
Totally bro! I started out sport climbing but I got really into bouldering and its much more ... just climbing. No setting up gear, really tuff hardest of the hard moves and when you top out you just get taht feeling of acomplishment.

climbmore999

Dec 29, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #99 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is the only way to go, dont get me wrong trad and sport are always good, but going out to boulder with your buddies is always a good time. plus, bouldering is one of the best ways to work on hard problems and improve your technique.

healyje

Dec 29, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #100 of 100 (10656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, one thing I'll give to bouldering - there is no dogging, only climbing or flying.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook