Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Dec 30, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #76 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front levers, Campus Boards, and Beginner Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
My stance on the benefits of the front lever (which isn't solid) comes from looking at an outcome (i.e. baseline climbing level and campusing ability) before and after a specific intervention (training the front lever), without any confounding activities that could have skewed my results (no chin-ups, climbing, or other training during that period). I come from the world of medicine, so these are the kind of analyses I'm used to.

Uncontrolled case studies. Sounds about right.

In reply to:
Of course my little experiment would be considered a case study, and would easily be picked apart by a seasoned epidemiologist...

Ok, then, never mind.

Jay

fluxus

Dec 30, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #77 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From what I understood from your previous posts, a kinesiological analysis is just that: an analysis used for hypothesis building. It means nothing until you test your hypothesis in at least a semi-scientific kind of way.

Not at all, a correct kinesiological analysis is not some remote abstraction for hypothesis building, it can be used to build a hypothesis of course, but a correct kinesiological analysis will tell you exactly what bones, muscles and joints are involved in a movement and how they contribute to the movement in question.

It provides an objective tool for describing movement. Further, it will tell you the type and quality of balance involved in a movement, what planes the movement occurs in and can make a good assessment of how a move was initiated and how efficient a movement is as well as what to change to make a movement more effective. Using video and other tools kinesiological analysis can be use to quantify the position of the center of gravity in space, as well as the duration and timing of a movement among other things.

In reply to:

I don't know how you can be so dogmatic about your ideas.

Kinesiological analysis can be very difficult to do in an activity as complex as climbing and I frequently allow for the possibility that I've missed something or the possibility that my analysis is incomplete or not correct, I'm doing it now, and I did it in my above post when I wrote: "if this analysis is correct . . ."

if that's what you consider dogmatic, so be it. At least I know and apply an objective method of analysis to climbing. How many other people who post here can say that?

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 31, 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #78 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, “Sportklettern heute” does have a lot of material on kinesiology as applied to climbing. Even if you can’t read German, there are many interesting stick figures showing the body’s center of gravity in different climbing positions from which a lot can be learnt. In my post, I emphasized the sport-specific training aspects of “Sportklettern heute”, since that was what’s been in contention here. It’s unfortunate that this book has never been translated into English.

I imagine Fluxus’s new book will have far more material on kinesiology especially as there are now available technologies in recording and reproduction (esp. DVD) that were not available in the 80s. I look forward to reading it.

The other issues in Fluxus’s latest post have been critiqued by other posters so no need for me to go there.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

doofus564

Dec 31, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #79 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"It would be interesting to see what happens to gymnasts who start climbing."
Well I was a gymnast until last summer and I could do front levers, iron crosses and was just getting planches but it didn't make me that good of a climber. Maybe if I had better technique that strength would have helped more.

jitterbugclimb

Dec 31, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #80 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not at all, a correct kinesiological analysis is not some remote abstraction for hypothesis building, it can be used to build a hypothesis of course, but a correct kinesiological analysis will tell you exactly what bones, muscles and joints are involved in a movement and how they contribute to the movement in question.
With all of the thousands of moves possible in rock climbing, how can 2D video kinesiological analysis be exact-or even close for that matter.
In reply to:
Using video and other tools kinesiological analysis can be use to quantify the position of the center of gravity in space, as well as the duration and timing of a movement among other things.
Again, I wonder how you can come to such conclusions and generalizations based on 2D video analysis.

fluxus

Jan 3, 2006, 6:14 AM
Post #81 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
With all of the thousands of moves possible in rock climbing, how can 2D video kinesiological analysis be exact-or even close for that matter

[Snip]

Again, I wonder how you can come to such conclusions and generalizations based on 2D video analysis.

1) you are misrepresenting my claims a bit (perhaps you were reading too quickly) and also making some assumptions, but in short, if you learn some kinesiology the answers to your questions will be self evident.

2) My conclusions and generalization are not basede soley on my own 2D analysis. They are based on the numerous 2D and 3D analysis that have been published in many sports from Ice skating to Rock climbing that do quantify the position of the COG during movement. Also, 2D video is a perfectly valid tool for quantifying the timing of a move, the fact that the video is 2D has no bearing on its temporal accuracy, assuming that the action in question is fully visable in frame for the entire duration of the action.

3) Stop being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Read my posts more carefully before you spout off. If you knew anything about Mechanics or Kinesiology you would feel silly for posing the specific challenges that you do. Granted, I am not some kind of kinesiology savant, I just have a good amount of practacal experience and am one of a very small group activly applying Kinesiology to climbing. There are plenty of excellent critical issues and concerns that could be raised regarding my description and application of kinesiology to climbing, and there are many people who could totally school me on these issues. but you are not one of these people, and you clearly have no idea what the issues at hand might be. Spend some time learning and applying, then feel free to come back and tell me I'm full of shit, that would be fine.

tomma

Jan 3, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #82 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry for keeping this thread alive for another while;-)
in one of the last posts fluxus mentioned an important issue, never raised before:
problems with recognizing what is sport-specific training in the case of climbing..
it is by no means a 0-1 game, we can talk of proximity only,
if we get very strict about this, then the whole concept of 'climbing-specific' becomes void,
in climbing a success or failure always refers to a particular route, crux or single move,
to success you have to master that specific sequence and in terms of motorics/balance/strength whatever training/climbing you do outside of that particular problem may only be of indirect relevance,
so in a way we only can speak of problem-specific training which consits in working that specific problem in some organized manner,
but of course we all know that even working on a specifc climbing problem we can benefit from other activities, and discriminitaing between those that are definitely relevant and those which are not is pointless, what we can do is put them all on a scale..

Partner rgold

Jan 3, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #83 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with tomma. The relevenant/irrelvant dicotomy is a false one, as is some of the reasoning offered for various claims in this thread:

Fallacy 1. "Climber A can climb 5.xx and can't do front levers." The main fallacy here is that we do not know whether or not A could perform at a higher level if A could do front levers. A secondary fallacy is that perhaps A is really close to being able to do front levers. A gymnastically acceptable front lever requires some specific practice. A lot of good climbers are remarkably close already, yet still fall into the category of not being able to do them. These climbers are actually evidence for the relevance of levering strength, not its irrelevance.

Fallacy 2: "Climber B can do front levers but can only climb 5.y." Sure, but nobody ever said strength in the absence of technique will get you anywhere!

There is another issue. Upper body strength that exceeds contact strength is almost useless. A person of moderate hand strength who can do one-arm pullups will never be able to apply that strength or anything close to it in the field, and is meanwhile lugging around muscle that consumes energy resources.

rockprodigy

Jan 4, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #84 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! what a great thread! I have a number of random contributions:

1. I have some anecdotal research on twins in climbing and training etc., but I'm not sure if I have anything interesting to say about it...let me think about it.

2. Lets not forget that Graham, Koyamada (sp?), etc. have the freedom to climb 60+ hours a week if they want to. That is clearly out of the question for most of us. I don't necessarily disagree that, given that much time, high level bouldering outdoors is the best way to train. Now ruling that out, the relevant question is what is the next best way to train, and in the least amount of time. I think it entails some sort of not-perfectly-climbing specific trianing.

3. I believe that part of the genesis for the original campus board was the desire to "practice" dynoing a certain distance, it was not purely the pursuit of more power. I think he may have even measured the distances between holds on AD. Therefore, it was originally conceived as, and used for movement training, in addition to strength/power training. I think most people forget that.

4. Has anyone ever proven that indoor climbing is a "climbing specific exercise"? I don't see why we should blindly accept that contention any more than the contention that a front lever is climbing specific. In case you think I'm crazy, let me list a few reasons it's not:
- most gyms are less than 40' tall, these routes would all be considered "power" routes outdoors.
-every foothold in a gym is an edge, not so outside
-holds in a gym can be easily recognized by the climber before touching them.
-every hold in a gym is "comfortable"
-consider the time it takes to "on-sight" a route in a gym, vs. outdoors. The repetition lengths, rest periods and total duration of effort are very different from outdoor climbing.
-consider the number of moves on an outdoor route 80' long (100+?) compared to a 35' gym route (10-20?).
-In outdoor climbing you might "tic-tac" your feet 3-4 times between every hand movement, indoors, you frequently have a 1:1 ratio of foot to hand movements.

5. A wise man once told me (I'm paraphrazing here) that you shouldn't assume that top climbers know how they got to be top climbers. I'm sure many top climbers do all kinds of crazy things that might look like "training" to us, but that doesn't by any means prove its effectiveness.

climb1212

Jan 4, 2006, 5:53 AM
Post #85 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to throw out some more slightly random ideas and comments . . .

I guess I always thought of campusing as power/recruitment training and hadn’t considered it as movement training. I don't know if it technically is or isn't.

I had an experience recently, though, that is somewhat related to the concept of supplemental exercises not only building strength/power, but also being a useful mode of ‘movement training.’

So last week I spent some time with a partner who is a good all-around climber, though his primary pursuits are in the alpine and ice arena. He was doing sets of uneven pull-ups with his ice tools and suggested the same exercise, minus the ice tools, would be beneficial for crack climbing (especially splitters). He emphasized that uneven pull-ups not only build strength but are similar in motion to climbing a crack in lets say Indian Creek.

So, how do certain types of supplemental exercises contribute to the very diverse types of climbing? Would uneven pull-ups, for example, be beneficial to someone whose goals include lots of crack routes with sport routes secondary? Or in another sense, would campusing be of value if you pretty much climb traditional routes? The AD example suggests that Koyamada and Graham were engaged in enough bouldering/sport climbing to succeed quickly on a route that required those skills. Though I am very sure they are capabale, its hard to imagine them having the same type of success on a long yosemite free route, at least as quickly. Are a lot of our training woes the result of picking an inappropriate method of training for the types of goals we set?

In reply to:
4. Has anyone ever proven that indoor climbing is a "climbing specific exercise"? I don't see why we should blindly accept that contention any more than the contention that a front lever is climbing specific. In case you think I'm crazy, let me list a few reasons it's not:
- most gyms are less than 40' tall, these routes would all be considered "power" routes outdoors.
-consider the time it takes to "on-sight" a route in a gym, vs. outdoors. The repetition lengths, rest periods and total duration of effort are very different from outdoor climbing.
-consider the number of moves on an outdoor route 80' long (100+?) compared to a 35' gym route (10-20?).
-In outdoor climbing you might "tic-tac" your feet 3-4 times between every hand movement, indoors, you frequently have a 1:1 ratio of foot to hand movements.

Would you suggest that climbing inside is on the same plane as campusing or hangboarding? It seems like there is a continuum of training exercises/methods to supplement or help one improve if they can’t climb outdoors for whatever reason. For example, climbing outside is as sport specific as you can get, followed by gym climbing, hangboarding and campusing, and then other exercises like weights and so forth. That’s how I perceive it at least. I suppose the bottom line comes down not to how sport-specific a given exercise is, but whether the result is a better performance.

On a slightly different note, and rather off topic, I’ve been doing some research on a training philosophy called CrossFit (if you want to know more then check out crossfit.com). Mark Twight operates a private gym (gymjones.com) based many CrossFit principles and their dedication to training is extreme to say the least. Anyway, while browsing through his site, I came across a ‘disciple’ named Jim Howe. This guy has an impressive tick list:

Ht/Wt: 5’11’’ 165#

Snatch 135#
C&J 166.5#
Clean 185#
30x Clean & Jerk @ 95# 2:49
Pull-ups 65
“Fran” 7:06
2000m row 7:24
5000m row 19:33
Beacon Hill (west ridge): 39:57

2005: 1st ascent of "Atlantis" (V, 5.11), Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO
2004: “Scenic Cruise” (V 5.10+), Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO, 6.5 hrs car to car
2003: Mount Moran, South Buttress Direct (V 5.8 A1), Tetons, WY (complete 3,770') 13.5 hrs round trip
2002: "Appetite for Destruction & "La Fin du Monde" (V 5.12a), Notch Peak Utah, 1st ascent
2002: Mt. Babel, East Face (V 5,11+), Canadian Rockies, 19.5 hrs car to car (with summit)

I guess this says something to me, which is that a combination of mental strength coupled with an extreme level of fitness are vital to pushing one’s standards. Of course the above routes require different demands than a boulder problem . . .

Thoughts?

tobym

Jan 4, 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #86 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5. A wise man once told me (I'm paraphrazing here) that you shouldn't assume that top climbers know how they got to be top climbers. I'm sure many top climbers do all kinds of crazy things that might look like "training" to us, but that doesn't by any means prove its effectiveness.

I certainly agree with this point, Mike.

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 4, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #87 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is another issue. Upper body strength that exceeds contact strength is almost useless. A person of moderate hand strength who can do one-arm pullups will never be able to apply that strength or anything close to it in the field, and is meanwhile lugging around muscle that consumes energy resources.

Are we to interpret “contact strength” here to mean hand strength? And, if so, what is meant by that and what kind of hand strength? What would be a test to distinguish between contact strength and upper-body strength? I’m not trying to be picky here, but I find the phrase “contact strength”, as used by climbers, confusing. (An aside: for a long time I was confused by climbers’ use of “core strength” until I figured out it meant strength of abdominal, pelvic and lower back muscles. I guess I get confused easily.)

In any non-technical, ordinary usage of the term, laypeople would say that someone who can do a one-arm pull-up has good hand strength (as well as upper-body strength). So obviously, you mean something different in your usage.

An example that comes to mind about different types of hand strength arises from the different barbells used in power lifting versus strongest-man lifting. Consider the deadlift. In power lifting, a narrow diameter Olympic bar is used. In strongest-man lifting, a wide diameter barbell is used, which makes the lifting more difficult. An obvious conclusion is that a closed-hand grip is stronger than an open-hand grip, but both types of lifting do involve hand strength. Is your usage of hand/contact strength related to this?

Another example is something I’ve noticed with my young grandchildren. They can hang from chin-up bar for a long time but cannot do a single chin-up. Would you say they have high contact strength but low upper-body strength?

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

piton

Jan 4, 2006, 6:29 PM
Post #88 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i much rather read a training book by T. Caldwell then some unknown name as fluxus or that sporto eric hurst :roll:

the emphazies on climbing the hardest routes is dumb number pusher gym climber mentality.

climb the cool climbs :righton:

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 4, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #89 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Actually, just learning to climb indoors may be a strong negative when it comes to learning to climb outdoors. For an experienced outdoors climber, indoor climbing may be excellent training, but it can have a deleterious effect on a beginning climber who eventually wants to climb outdoors.

I have often taught the elements of traditional climbing including cracks up to offwidths and issues of protection for new climbers. Pure sport climbers have no problem with this. My favorite student over the years was a 5.12 sport climber who could not get up a 5.5 chimney our first day out, but was leading 5.11 wide cracks I couldn’t follow in a couple of weeks (I’ll take credit for the instruction). On the other hand, very often pure gym climbers just don’t get it. As an example, this past year, I was involved with a brand new climber and an experienced gym climber, who was far stronger than I in the gym (she could climb 11+). The new climber had no trouble learning the essentials and was following 5.8 traditional climbs from slab to offwidth in short order. She had no preconceptions about what holds should or should not be there and was willing to try different body positions as the moves demanded. The gym climber was always being held back by the decision making process of what hold to use and never quite positioning her body right (especially on low angle stuff) and just having a mental block on jamming.

An eye opener for me was a few years back, when I took a couple of gym climbers to the base of a 5.4 crack, and they asked me where the holds were.

Cheers,

Rob.calm

jt512

Jan 4, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #90 of 119 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, just learning to climb indoors may be a strong negative when it comes to learning to climb outdoors. For an experienced outdoors climber, indoor climbing may be excellent training, but it can have a deleterious effect on a beginning climber who eventually wants to climb outdoors.

That is a total fantasy. It is so common for kids to climb in a gym for several years before they ever climb outdoors, and then to climb V-harder-than-you-or-I-ever-will outdoors almost immediately, that it is a banality. These skills are easily and commonly transfered to sport climbs, once the boulder kid develops a little endurance. I know a gym-trained boulderer who onsighted a 5.12 sport route his first first time out. Many gym-trained kids are redpointing 5.13 in their first months of outdoor route climbing. Some of these gym rats are getting into trad, and there is no reason to think that they won't excel at that, too. Obviously, they have to learn protection skills, but didn't we all.

Jay

rockprodigy

Jan 5, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #91 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, I think you are glossing over a number of relevant factors in your assessment. For every kid you can prop up as an example to prove your point, there are probably three to disprove it, of course those kids never make the headlines.

Furthermore, you seem to be fixated on the idea of relative climbing ability, which is completely irrelevant to the topic of training. What is relevant is an individual climber's performance relative to his or her own genetic potential. In simple terms: I dont care if a kid can climb "V-harder-than-you-or-I-ever-will". That proves nothing whatsoever! The question is, does the kid climb "V-as-hard-as-he-or-she-possibly-can", and if so, is it a result of his or her training activities. I don't think that question has been answered (or will any time soon), so I maintain my contention that indoor gym climbing is unproven as a "climbing specific activity".

Eric, I agree with your idea of the "spectrum" of climbing specificity. However, I do think many people are too quick to make assumptions about the level of specificity of certain activities without critical analysis, or better yet, scientific proof, while at the same time discounting other activities for the same reasons.

fracture

Jan 5, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #92 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is relevant is an individual climber's performance relative to his or her own genetic potential.

But what makes you so sure that anyone is even remotely close to this theoretical upper limit?

It seems quite possible, since this sport is so young, that we may all be so far from our "genetic potential" that such a limit (if it were measurable), would be completely irrelevant to how we should plan out our climbing training and climbing goals.

Partner rgold

Jan 5, 2006, 4:31 AM
Post #93 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Robdot, you're right, I used "contact strength," as many climbers do, without thinking much about what it really means. Certainly, the ability to hang one-handed from a bar doesn't, by itself, qualify as even moderate hand strength for a climbers, where the standards for hand strength are high (and bar-shaped holds very infrequent).

It always seemed obvious to me that "contact strength" referred to the ability to hang on to holds. Of course holds come in different sizes and types, and crimp strength is not the same as sloper strength or pinch strength or monodoigt strength or etc. etc. etc. By and large, the greater the spectrum of "bad" holds you can hang on to, the higher your contact strength. I have no interest in trying to make this hazy notion any more precise.

And frankly, I don't think my point requires any more precision about what contact strength really means. If you can't hang on to the holds, then your upper body strength, no matter how prodigous, isn't going to count for much. That's all I'm saying, and I made it as an aside because it seemed self-evident. But self-evident or not, we read claims about various types of upper-body training that seem to ignore the fact that your ability to hold on has to progress apace with your upper body strength, otherwise that strength is largely superfluous.

healyje

Jan 5, 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #94 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What is relevant is an individual climber's performance relative to his or her own genetic potential.

But what makes you so sure that anyone is even remotely close to this theoretical upper limit?

It seems quite possible, since this sport is so young, that we may all be so far from our "genetic potential" that such a limit (if it were measurable), would be completely irrelevant to how we should plan out our climbing training and climbing goals.

I've said it around here before, I think 99% of the time when folks "fall" off a climb they are really jumping off them at whatever their emotional limit was at that moment. I think the average solid climber only climbs at their true physical limit a few times in a lifetime. I think we are seeing that gap between physical and emotional limits closed more and more as the sport matures, but the flip side of that is I think we are seeing it from a declining percentage of the total climbing population as it grows larger and more risk averse every year.

fracture

Jan 5, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #95 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've said it around here before, I think 99% of the time when folks "fall" off a climb they are really jumping off them at whatever their emotional limit was at that moment. I think the average solid climber only climbs at their true physical limit a few times in a lifetime. I think we are seeing that gap between physical and emotional limits closed more and more as the sport matures, but the flip side of that is I think we are seeing it from a declining percentage of the total climbing population as it grows larger and more risk averse every year.

I know your religion prohibits you from using hangdog tactics, Healyje, but have you ever tried to do a sport-style redpoint of a route harder than anything you have ever done before? The emotional aspect of the game is quite significant, and unlike runout slab climbing you can't just remind yourself you aren't really going to fall (because you are going to fall).

Also, as we've somewhat discussed here before, what you are calling "risky" climbing is a very strange game. It is far less focused on actual climbing ability, so really has little (or nothing) to do with the type of rock climbing that I like (bouldering, sport, etc), and is also way softer on the "risk" than real risk-based sports (like BASE). Of course, its practitioners both think they are good climbers, and very bold, when more objectively they are often neither. Quite a humorous historical curiousity....

:lol:

tobym

Jan 5, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #96 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, as we've somewhat discussed here before, what you are calling "risky" climbing is a very strange game. It is far less focused on actual climbing ability

Do you not feel that the psychological aspects involved with bold onsights, are an aspect of climbing ability?

healyje

Jan 5, 2006, 9:44 PM
Post #97 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I know your religion prohibits you from using hangdog tactics, Healyje, but have you ever tried to do a sport-style redpoint of a route harder than anything you have ever done before? The emotional aspect of the game is quite significant, and unlike runout slab climbing you can't just remind yourself you aren't really going to fall (because you are going to fall).

Also, as we've somewhat discussed here before, what you are calling "risky" climbing is a very strange game. It is far less focused on actual climbing ability, so really has little (or nothing) to do with the type of rock climbing that I like (bouldering, sport, etc), and is also way softer on the "risk" than real risk-based sports (like BASE). Of course, its practitioners both think they are good climbers, and very bold, when more objectively they are often neither. Quite a humorous historical curiousity....

:lol:

Fracture,

Climbing close or at to limits is what I was speaking of in general be those physical limits or variations on the emotional limits theme. Mike Reardon, Alex Huber, and other classic free soloists certainly speak to climbing at the limits of fear, which is what I believe you are speaking of. Some of my/our FA's in the mid-70's were on TR due to our strict LNT ethics. We decided to focus purely on the movement so in a way you could say we were some of the first "sport" climbers around, we also did free soloing and some pretty hairaising "highball" bouldering as well. Several of our TR FA's from '76 are rated as .12's and .13's today. Some of those TR's FA's like the one in my profile photo are also far from risk free. One of the things I particularly like about TR FA's on steep terrain is it precludes even the possibility of dogging and hanging out inspecting and trying moves. Do a really steep FA on a TR (or deep water solo) and you really earned it and had to think fast and hard on the fly. Do an onsight FA that way and you are styling in my book. So, yes, I have climbed a couple of times damn close to both my physical and emotional limits and do understand the "sport" mentality - I just don't care much for bolts or dogging - but I'm not saying these haven't helped push difficulty up.

rockprodigy

Jan 6, 2006, 2:38 AM
Post #98 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mean to suggest that people are reaching their gentic limit in climbing. In fact, I believe we are very far from it. My point is that comparing climbers to each other has little meaning in terms of training techniques. What is meaningful is a specific climber's improvement over a period time using a certain technique compared to using a different technique.

jt512

Jan 6, 2006, 2:54 AM
Post #99 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My point is that comparing climbers to each other has little meaning in terms of training techniques. What is meaningful is a specific climber's improvement over a period time using a certain technique compared to using a different technique.

That is certainly the ideal way to test the hypothesis, but I'm still waiting for that $100,000 check to implement my study.

Less rigorous "studies," while not definitive, can provide clues to what training methods are or are not likely to be effective. While the observation is casual and subjective, it does appear to me that there is a marked separation between the training regimes of beginning to intermediate climbers and those of advanced to elite climbers. In particular, the more advanced the climber, the more specific his training tends to be, to the point that the most advanced climbers do little off-the-rock (or out-of-the-rock-gym) training at all. In contrast, beginning to intermediate climbers seem obsessed with aparatus exercises, such as pull-ups and front levers. If such exercises are so effective, then it seems reasonable they would be used more often by advanced climbers, but we don't seem to observe this, as a rule.

Jay

dave27

Jan 6, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #100 of 119 (15884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In particular, the more advanced the climber, the more specific his training tends to be, to the point that the most advanced climbers do little off-the-rock (or out-of-the-rock-gym) training at all. In contrast, beginning to intermediate climbers seem obsessed with aparatus exercises, such as pull-ups and front levers. If such exercises are so effective, then it seems reasonable they would be used more often by advanced climbers, but we don't seem to observe this, as a rule.

Jay

This could be interpreted quite logically the other way as well (chicken-egg; egg-chicken):

1. Noob starts doing chins/levers/whatever in addition to climbing, to gain strength quicker than he would by merely climbing 2-3 times per week

2. Noob gains enough experience and strength to do 5.12s, and is suddenly no longer a noob

3. Ex-noob now doesn't need adjuncts to develop strength since he's developed enough to allow him to climb 5.12, and can maintain his climbing-specific strength by merely climbing (losing any strength unnecessary for his type of climbing in the meantime)

4. Ex-noob forgets his past and extols the virtues of "just climbing 2-3 times per week" in order to climb 5.12+

Maintenance of strength takes a lot less effort than its initial development.

Again, I have no proof or even experience to back this sequence of events, but since we're interpreting observations here, we should make sure we're examining all reasonable possibilities before forming rigid point of views (if we care at all about being correct that is).

Dave

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook