RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

isildur

Jan 25, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

16 Day road trip...need help with destinations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

To begin...yes, I've searched and read previous threads.

In the beginning of April my friend and I are taking off on our first climbing road trip for 16 days. We are leaving PA (near Philly) and heading down south and back. We are definitely going to hit up New River Gorge, Red River Gorge, and HP40.

We are just wondering what other spots come highly recommended with camping nearby. Also, how long is the recommended stay at certain spots (we are figuring we would stay a few extra days at the Red and HP40). We really need locations in the Georgia, Carolinas, and Virginia area (we are going to hopefully make a loop).

Thanks a lot.

-Jeffrey

pendereki

Jan 25, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Re: 16 Day road trip...need help with destinations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just recieved a ton on helpful advice on North Carolina climbing--here is a link to that thread.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ewtopic.php?t=105603

Have a great trip!

isildur

Jan 25, 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot. I didn't see that trhead before.

Also, if there are anymore suggestions, my friend and I have no trad gear or real experience leading trad, So, we are just after sport and bouldering. Thanks again.

-Jeffrey

styndall

Jan 25, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocktown, Ga. has incredible sandstone bouldering, and it's two hours north-east of HP40. It used to be that you could camp free there for up to two weeks, but I've heard rumors there's been some kind of upset with the Pigeon mountain camping system lately. The dixie cragger's says the number to call the rangers and check is 706-638-1085.

If you need more info, you can pm me or get a topo of the area from drtopo.com.

jermeng

Jan 25, 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Also, if there are anymore suggestions, my friend and I have no trad gear or real experience leading trad, So, we are just after sport and bouldering. Thanks again.

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey,
I would recommend finding some trad gear and swinging by Seneca rocks, WV. Really though, if you feel like backroadsing through VA/WV near Harrisonburg, then you could check out Franklin. Though I surely wouldn't go out of your way for it, as an extra day at the New or Red would be more worthwhile. Also, check out Summersville Lake near the New, as I believe it has some high water bouldering. Best of luck,

Jeremy

Partner kasharp

Jan 25, 2006, 8:45 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Summersville also has quite a bit of sport, there's Hawks Nest near the New River Gorge for bouldering and there's a fair amount of sport you could get into at the New. as far as camping - Rogers is $5 a night (right near Kaymoor), or I believe, you can camp anywhere in the national park as long as you're 100 feet from the trail. Enjoy your trip! :)

climbingaggie03

Jan 25, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Horshoe canyon in arkansas is good too

outsideguyzak

Jan 25, 2006, 9:38 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You definitely have to also stop at the Obed Wild and Scenic River Gorge! It has AWESOME sport and has some great camping at Del and Marty's. That is a must.
Also, you should check out Little Rock City, Rock Town and Foster Fall's.(they are all in Chattanooga)
SandRock is also supposed to be really sweet.
Obviously New River Gorge and Red River Gorge and the Carolina's as well. But North Carolina has pretty much only trad. Although there is some excellent bouldering at Rumbling Bald, Grandmother and Grandfather.
Hope everything goes well. I took a road trip this past summer to the Valley and that was AMAZING!!! Have fun!

chossmonkey

Jan 29, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We are definitely going to hit up New River Gorge, Red River Gorge, and HP40.

Sounds like you have a pretty full trip already. Don't spread your time at these places too thin.

I've never been to HP40, but I know I could for sure spend 16 days at the Red and go to a different place each day. Same with the New/ Summersville. Take into account that you will need to take a few days off for driving and bad weather and you have even fewer days.

While hitting up lots of different areas is cool, spending a good amount of time at each will probably give you a better trip with a much lower cost. Guide books and gas aren't cheap. Not to mention if you only spend a day at an area you may end up spending a good part just finding your way around.

isildur

Jan 30, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So as i said before, we are definitely going to the NEw, Red and HP 40, we are thinking of one more...choices are Rocktown, GA, Little Rock City, or Boone.

What do you all think? Whats your vote...we are also extending the trip by a few days.

Thanks again

-Jeffrey

krusher4

Jan 30, 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say maybe only choose two locations, you don't what the whole trip to be in a car.

sumchum

Jan 30, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree totally with the less driving more time climbing mentality. Have been on some poorly planned road trips before and being stuck in a car due to spreading yourself too thin can be a real drag.
Have a great time!!

ne1469

Jan 31, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys this is Erik, I will be accompanying Jeffrey on our road trip. We both really appreciate all your input especially because this is our first big road trip and we want it to go as smoothly as possible.
I totally understand your advice to go to less places but let me throw this piece of information out there and tell me if it changes your minds at all. First off we know that we are going to need rest days because I can't see us climbing for 18 days straight.
OK here was the initial plan, the first leg of the trip is about 450 miles to the New. We were planning on staying at least 3 days at every place. After the New all the other stops are only about 250 miles away. We were planning on making our travel days our rest days and being that 250 miles is only about a 4 hour drive we thought that would be a reasonable distance to drive every 3 or 4 days. We were shooting for 5 stops making a big circle through the midwest and east with the last stop being close to the first at Summersville Lake near the New.
My biggest concern is that 3 or 4 days may not be enough time at each location. But once again we have never done this before and we know that many of you have, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Erik

chossmonkey

Jan 31, 2006, 6:11 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We were planning on making our travel days our rest days and being that 250 miles is only about a 4 hour drive we thought that would be a reasonable distance to drive every 3 or 4 days.

Driving on rest days, does work okay. Sitting in a car for long periods may not be the best for recovery though. I'd stop at least once in your 4 hour drive to stretch and get some blood moving through your body. You can also use the remaining part of the day to scope out the new area so you have a clue of where you are going the next day when you will be climbing.

In reply to:
My biggest concern is that 3 or 4 days may not be enough time at each location.

Generally I would say no. I really like to spend at least two weeks at most areas. The first week you spend getting familiar with the rock and do a bunch of the classics. The second week you can wind it up and do some stuff closer to your limit.

3 or 4 days is plenty to decide whether or not you like an area and if you would like to go back for a longer time in the future.

I would suggest having a loose plan and go with what feels right when you are there. If you and your friend really dig an area don't be afraid to spend some extra time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook