RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

welikoa

Feb 13, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

I learned my lesson.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On saturday night I stayed up to about 2 am smoking hookah with my friends and smoking tobacco pipes for about 4 hours. The next day I went climbing at 7 am to do some nice multi pitches. I lead the second pitch( 5.9) and it was a really long one, around 130-150 ft maybe. About half way up it, I became insanely dehydraded, thanks to the hookah and other factors and started puking all over myself, mid climbing mind you. With puke stained shoes and clothes I managed to hold on and clim another 10 ft before I took a nice 20 foot whipper. I sucked it up, managed to finish the climb all while dry heaving and spitting on myself. When I set my anchor I kept vomiting and managed to belay my partner up, then we rapped down where I pretty much blacked out. I learned my lesson, on not subjecting your body to high amounts of tobacco and alcohol before climbing the next day. Either way, I was damned stoked I finished the route while vomiting. It was a first, and hopefully a last.

jeep914x4

Feb 13, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: I learned my lesson. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

That's a good lesson to learn. Luckily I learned from the mistakes of others...

It was on a mountain bike ride the day after my friends 24th birthday. He was hurting real bad. Dry heaving and he developed a bad headache.

Maybe if you would have made more of an effort to stay hydrated it wouldn't have been so bad.... I was pretty trashed for my friends birthday but i drink LOTS of water when I go to sleep and wake up.

Edited because I can't spell.

wonderwoman

Feb 13, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How does vomit affect the longevity of your rope / harness / gear? Maybe you can post that question in a 'gear heads' thread! :lol:

Funny story! Hope your belayer got out of the way? You can't exactly warn him by yelling 'puke' while your in the process of being sick!

daithi

Feb 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I learned my lesson, on not subjecting your body to high amounts of tobacco and alcohol before climbing the next day.

You have this all wrong! The true lesson you need to learn is to do those things more frequently, thereby building up a resistance. This will enable you to party hard and enjoy climbing the next day. Seriously, get training!

pastprime

Feb 13, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can't exactly warn him by yelling 'puke' while your in the process of
being sick!
Yes you can. A friend of mine was climbing some choss pile with Layton Kor once, who was frequently yelling "rock!" just before one of his disposable holds dropped past the belay stance. At one point, the rope stopped going up for a rather long time, then my friend heard, from far above, "turd!"; followed by something dropping past that was not a rock.

liquidshadow111

Feb 13, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can't exactly warn him by yelling 'puke' while your in the process of
being sick!

Yes you can. A friend of mine was climbing some choss pile with Layton Kor once, who was frequently yelling "rock!" just before one of his disposable holds dropped past the belay stance. At one point, the rope stopped going up for a rather long time, then my friend heard, from far above, "turd!"; followed by something dropping past that was not a rock.

HA HA HA!! :lol:

welikoa

Feb 14, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting bile or vomit on your rope is actually really bad, or anything. Its a strong acid and extremely corosive. So dont puke on your rope or any of your gear for that matter. Luckily, I have a nice set of la sportiva Katanas that i mostly anihiliated, there yellow and so was my puke so no problem haha.

climbsomething

Feb 14, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um. Yeah, great, thanks for sharing.

roshiaitareya

Feb 14, 2006, 2:53 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hookahs rock. I think I'm going to smoke mine now.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook