Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Jan 18, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #51 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Re: hey [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Given that I might my last 2 ex's in the gym, I might be "that girl". Or maybe I just spend more time there than anywhere else.

You are so not "that girl"! You are a woman who is serious about her climbing. And climbing just happens to be a male dominated sport... of course you're going to meet guys doing it. I met Blueeyedclimber climbing and I would never classify myself as "that girl". As a matter of fact, I don't even know who "that girl" is! :lol: I've never met her!

I'm beginning to think the 'that girl', 'make up at the crag', and 'hardcore' discussions are really reflective of how we women are judgemental towards other women climbers. Shouldn't we be more supportive of our sistah's and just judge the men. :lol:

shorty

Jan 18, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #52 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Re: That guy who only climbs with women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
as a woman who never wears makeup, i'm a bit perplexed why you would wear makeup climbing or running :?
Marge, you're an instructor now; you must expand your horizons, go for the gusto, think of your clients' needs. A dash of rouge here, a bit of eyeliner there, throw in some pouty red lips -- you just might convince that mega-rich who's-your-daddy ski student that you're the one to show him how to ski powder.

Who knows, he might even take you heli-skiing as his own personal instructor.

Hey, it could happen. (not likely, but it could happen)

i guess i could break out the leopardprint spandex ski pants, slap on some face paint........cougar for hire! What are you trying to tell me shorty, you looking for lessons!!! :D
Leopard print spandex ski pants? Mmrrroowwwwrrr!

Who knows -- I just could end up being "that ski guy". Shoot, I might even squeeze into my lycra Spyder GS speedsuit.

Partner macherry

Jan 18, 2006, 8:45 PM
Post #53 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
as a woman who never wears makeup, i'm a bit perplexed why you would wear makeup climbing or running :?
Marge, you're an instructor now; you must expand your horizons, go for the gusto, think of your clients' needs. A dash of rouge here, a bit of eyeliner there, throw in some pouty red lips -- you just might convince that mega-rich who's-your-daddy ski student that you're the one to show him how to ski powder.

Who knows, he might even take you heli-skiing as his own personal instructor.

Hey, it could happen. (not likely, but it could happen)

i guess i could break out the leopardprint spandex ski pants, slap on some face paint........cougar for hire! What are you trying to tell me shorty, you looking for lessons!!! :D
Leopard print spandex ski pants? Mmrrroowwwwrrr!

Who knows -- I just could end up being "that ski guy". Shoot, I might even squeeze into my lycra Spyder GS speedsuit.

i love those ski suits!!! bring it on!!!!!

ao

Jan 25, 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #54 of 64 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been on the receiving end of "that girl", and it's exactly how it's described...she seems to know where you're climbing, and almost want to make sure you're watching her climb. She'll walk under your rope, but no one else's...she'll also jump on to do a traverse-boulder right in front of you, as you're tied in and about to hop on a climb! The feeling you get is that she's trying to silently bully you. I had noticed that she *only* climbed with guys, knew every single guy there, and was VERY friendly with them. The only thing that would make any sense was that she had approached one of my male climbing partners w/ a hug (before she even knew him!), and he didn't reciprocate. I don't know if it was her way of "getting back" or what? Anyways, I haven't seen her in the longest time, and hope I don't come across another one like her!

ao

Jan 25, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #55 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey swift_arrow, just noticed you're in MA...so am I! Maybe it was the same "that girl" :)

swift_arrow

Jan 25, 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #56 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe it was, what gym are you talking about? Though I've met a few of "that girl"s, I've only seen the particular one I am talking about once. Next time I see her, I'll probably try to befriend her but if that don't work there is always the gym parking lot...

Where are you in MA, maybe we can meet up for some climbing.

ao

Jan 25, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #57 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, this happened numerous times w/ a certain chica (and never saw her in the parking lot!). It was at Boston Rock Gym, but since Metrorock opened, I haven't gone back! Send me a pm if you'd like to climb- most of my climbing partners are male (with the exception of Wonderwoman), so it'd be great to have more female partners!

swift_arrow

Jan 26, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #58 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to same gym last night and met another "that girl". She was making fun of every girl there, including the friend she was climbing with. Apparently this gym is a magnet for competitive chicks.

Luckily there was another woman climber there who was far more friendly, and far more talented then this lame downer.

wonderwoman

Jan 26, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #59 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Apparently this gym is a magnet for competitive chicks.

I get strange vibes at BRG. Do they still scream at people from across the gym? I think MetroRock is a much more friendly atmosphere in general. I like it a lot better.

Partner cracklover

Jan 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #60 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Late coming to this thread. It's entertaining, though, cause I know exactly the guy WW is talking about. He's that blatant.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Does that guy get any?

I doubt it! :lol:

I dunno. I bet he does, or he wouldn't keep doing it. That appears to be the only reason why he climbs. I've never seen him doing anything other than trolling for chicks. I've never seen him at any crag unless he's got a newbie chick in tow, and I've never seen him at all at any of the bigger crags in the area, though he's been climbing quite a while. I wonder if he even likes climbing. Or girls. I suspect that both of them are just a means to an end for him.

And Ratherbe, I'm so curious to know who the other 2 "that guy"s are. I'm only aware of the one.

The one place where I feel some sympathy for that guy is that I have found myself really not enjoying the gym that much these days, except for the social aspect of it. Sure, the climbing is okay, but I'd rather be outside. What I really like is seeing the community of climbers there. People I know and like. And sure, potentially people who I might like to get to know better. It's tough.

Thing is, I'd like to date a climber, but I sure as hell don't want to be "that guy." Because I'm so attuned to not being "that guy", I have my rejection-meter set up on high with women. If you were to see me in the gym and I were interested in you, I would be illogically hot and cold. I would be completely confusing, and unless you beat me over the head with your interest in me, I would sooner or later run away, thinking I had overstepped the line. At least being "that guy" is appealing in its simplicity. IRL, interactions with women are confusing and difficult. Oh well, what can you do - you gotta just keep trying.

GO

ratherbe

Jan 29, 2006, 4:43 AM
Post #61 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And Ratherbe, I'm so curious to know who the other 2 "that guy"s are. I'm only aware of the one.
GO

We already chatted off line about this, but I'll just add that the two others I thought of a minor versions of the true player. Probably just interested in dating a climber and therefore always seem to be seen with one new climber girl after another.

Jen

Partner cracklover

Jan 29, 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #62 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best discussion of this topic I've ever seen was on rec.climbing. It was started by a wonderful TR called "How not to pick up chicks in the gym (a small rant)" that I'll link here.

In addition to this rant (a sort of mini TR) that everyone should go read, because it's hilarious, the thread contained this bit of wisdom that I've never seen better expressed anywhere (it's by Melissa). I obviously took it to heart.

In reply to:
I think that if you (genericly speaking) are brazen enough to hit on a total stranger at the gym, you should have your rejection radar set on extra sensitive, and get lost at the first negative vibe. Think of it as knowing when to down-climb to avoid a fall or to make an inevitable fall shorter when you are run-out, off-route, and climbing higher is not an option.

GO

clausti

Jan 29, 2006, 9:43 PM
Post #63 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is pretty stinkin' funny, gabe.

but she forgot "stupid boys and their stupid stupidness!" our cadre's motto from HS.

-cla

lilfoxiq

Feb 20, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #64 of 64 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a jerk that guy is.

however, my bf and i got into climbing together. he also thinks that women climb diffrent than men. i can't really see it (all I ever get to see is either guys climbing or little girl scouts at the gym) But I think people climb to make up for their weaknesses. i don't have tons of upper body stength and i'm short, however i do have some great flexability. so the result is when my bf and i do the same route, i'm more likely to need to heel hook, have to get creative with my foot work, try a different approach, and according to my bf, i'm more graceful.

so i can see the appeal of some guys to want to see women finish a problem. usually it is different.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook