RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

escalador

Feb 3, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Acopa B3's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question for anyone who is an owner of Acopa B3's. When it says "considerable stretch" what size should one get then? I have size 10 feet, so do I want to buy a size nine, nine and a half or a ten? I don't want to purchase them over the internet and then try them on and wear them a bit and then findout that they are to big after stretching. Granted, usually one wants their shoes to be a little on the snug side, but not to snug, and I'm talking about after they have stretched. So, if any B3 owners could help out that would be great. Thanks.

escalador

gt29905

Feb 3, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Re: Acopa B3's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own B3s but I'm very interested in them. After you buy a pair keep us updated about your experiece. Especially the issue that your post pertains to. I wear a 10.5 so after you have streched your's out I may be able to use the same ratio for sizing that you used or alter it accordingly.

breaksnclimbs

Feb 3, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some Acopas. Not sure exactly which model but, they're all leather green slippers. If I had to do it again I'd buy a size that is REALLY tight and expect them to strech to being pretty snug/comfy but not loose. I bought mine pretty snug and, now I don't wear them because they're too loose :?

bachar

Mar 17, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

escalador and others! Bachar here (Acopa part-owner). Sorry about the late reply...B3's have a pretty aggressive forefoot area, meaning that the area is slightly shorter than most shoes thereby putting your toes in a more "ready = scrunched" position. Not uncomfortable however, but meaning you don't have to downsize as much with this shoe.

I wear 10.5 US street shoe and a 9.5 US B3, but I think I wear my shoes a little tighter than most climbers (old school habits don't die easily!). Most people are going with the same size B3 as their street shoe, and some go an half size below.

Keep in mind, Acopa pays return shipping if you don't get your size right the first time, but we have a pretty good track record of getting it on the first try. Don't worry too much about ordering on-line with us - if you don't dig the shoe, we'll set you up with something else or refund your purchase. I'm pretty sure you'll be stoked with the B3 - it's like climbing in little Ferrari's. Got Editor's choice award in Climbing mag as well.

You can always email me direct with ANY questions, sizing concerns, etc. at <> . I'd be happy to help out!
Cheers, john

Bee3

Sep 3, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bachar] Acopa B3's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'll resurrect this thread and give my novice opinion of the B3.

*disclaimer-my user name does not have anything to do with the shoe, it is my common user name on message boards.

The shoe is awesome. I sized it a half size down from my street shoe and it works extremely well in all of the climbing situations that I have put it (bouldering and gym climbing).

I found that the shoe fits my wide foot (E) well and there is no dead space in the heel (common problem from my previous love affair with 5.10 Anasazi Verde). The shoe is also tight enough that there is zero slip even during the sweltering Japanese summer.

The construction is awesome and the rubber is great (dunno if its better than Onyx or C4). The velcro is holding up well and it doesn't come open while climbing once I trimmed the end of the lower strap.

The anatomical outside edge felt a little unusual during the first session in the shoe but it works well in dropknees and while doing kung-fu footwork.

I haven't noticed too much stretch but I also did not fit them extremely tight. It wasn't needed for my foot and I am no longer into foot s and m play.

These shoes are the best I have ever worn in almost every way. The only minus (which doesn't matter to me) is that the dye bleeds onto my feet and makes my toes grey for a while.

I just hope that this shoe never changes. Or if it does, I'd like an email prior to the new model so I can order 10 or so pairs of the current B3 model.

bozeclimb

Sep 10, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #6 of 7 (908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bee3] Acopa B3's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was interested in the B3s, I e-mailed the company and got the same advice that John B. gives above. Based on that, I purchased a pair in my street shoe size (8.5). They do not bend my toes as much as my Galileos, which are the same size, and they are considerably more comfortable than the Galileos. My experience/ability may not allow me to distinguish small differences in performance, but my overall assessment is that I climb as well in the B3s while being considerably more comfortable. I am sure I could get my feet into size 8 (and possibly 7.5) B3s, but I am not sure I would climb better. The shoes do not appear to have changed sizing since I first pulled them on last spring. Cheers

bachar

Sep 10, 2007, 7:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bozeclimb] Acopa B3's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the compliments!
As noted, the B3 will seem tighter than many other shoes of the same size (due to the shorter forefoot area which puts the foot in a more aggressive "scrunched position). They do stretch quite a bit due to the thinner leather. This has its advantages for comfort reasons but also has its disadvantages for sloppiness reasons. They seem to stretch out about one half size after the break n period (5-10 climbing days).

Don't worry, we will not be changing this model - there are way too many B3 fanatics out there already!

Good climbing, jb

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook