RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

testi

Jul 7, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Climbing shop?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does somebody know some (good) climbing shop? (Better if in the North west area but..)

Thanks,
Alex

jeepinchrisc

Jul 22, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing shop? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

REI, EMS or Earth Treks in Columbia and Timonium. MD is pretty sparce with good shops.

Chris

justsaynototake

Jul 22, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a great climbing store in Atlanta, GA called The Climbing Store.

http://theclimbingstore.net

dina

Jul 22, 2005, 8:00 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Campmor in NJ is good too. www.campmor.com

mhh35

Aug 11, 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hudson Trail Outfitters
424 York Road
Towson MD 21204
Telephone: 410-583-0494
http://www.hudsontrail.com/index.php

landgolier

Aug 11, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe others have had better experiences, but I have found that unless you want to buy a limited range of gear at full retail from people who don't know anything about what they're selling, Hudson Trail isn't your best bet. EMS tends to be a little weak, too, though at both stores you can sometimes just say, "look, I want to spend my money here, but I need good advice, when is somebody going to be working who knows climbing gear?" REI sometimes has more knowledgeable staff, sometimes not, but they definately handle the most brands and keep the most stuff in stock. Ask if you don't see the size you want (if it's protection), as they keep a lot of stuff stowed at most stores.

There are exceptions, but for the most part the good independent gear stores in the US are located within spitting distance of the major crags. Living in DC/baltimore, and with REI/EMS/HTO around, we just can't support a good independent shop, because we're not a climbing destination. So I guess for the original poster, if you want to save money, shop online, and if you want advice, expect to have to be patient.

cesaros

Apr 5, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would have to say that HTO would be the worst place to buy climbing gear. I used to work at the annapolis store and about 95% of the staff has their heads up their butts most the time and has no experience with the equipment.

And i can honestly say that they only want your money from you, they could care less if you like what you got, as long as it was $$$ and they got the sale since they have sale marks they need to meet.

if i was you, id talk to people at your local Gym such as Earth Treks and Sport rock..get advice for what you want to buy..go into a store (if its shoes or whatnot) try them on..and buy online..it will be alot cheaper.

some of the best shops ive been to are in NJ and NY state. Since there are the Gunks around that area..and alot of people climb up there. so there are alot of specialy shops.

oldrnotboldr

Apr 5, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just ordered some shoes from Acmeclimbing. com from Spokane Wa. Great prices and most of all great service!

When I ordered the shoes the sales rep called to me verify the size and order. When I had to return them for a larger size (yea, thought I knew better) I spoke with the sales rep and a tech. for a solid 20 minutes calculating the correct size and my order from reshipped the very next day! I received both orders 3 days ahead of teh estimated delivery date.

landgolier

Apr 5, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is another one of those threads that is actually local-specific but nobody notices the little thing in 8 point type at the top. It's also kind of old. The subject here was shops in Maryland and that area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook