RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

zenchef

Apr 5, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

webbing concerns
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey. i want some input on 1/2 inch webbing. Im thinking of buying 50 or so feet of that and cutting it into 2 foot pieces and using it for my nuts and hexes as a sling. Of course, connect the webbing via water knot. that way when im trading, i dont have to fumble with draws and things when trying to set protection. Agree or disagree?

scrapedape

Apr 5, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Re: webbing concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eh?

vegastradguy

Apr 5, 2006, 5:06 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go with 9/16" supertape or 11/16" tubular webbing- much stronger than 1/2". you can get it on mountain gear or most gear shops.

also dont forget that you need about 5' or so of webbing to make a 2' sling. 4' for the loop, 1' for the knot.

this method is fine, and cheaper than buying pre-fab slings, but they also tend to be pretty bulky, which may annoy you over time. i usually carry two or three tied slings and mostly pre-fab 8mm Mammut slings.

areyoumydude

Apr 5, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't use anything smaller than 11/16ths. 1/2 webbing is normally used as tie off material.

veganboyjosh

Apr 5, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

someone else will know where to find the pic, but a rc.com user sent his cams back to the manufacturer to have longer, color coded sewn slings attached. the picture of the rack is awesome.
i don't see why it wouldn't work with tied webbing, just check those knots.

up4climbing

Apr 5, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are talking about putting the webbing directly through the wire loop on the nuts and hexes, than this is a bad idea. The wire loop can cut through the webbing, and can't be trusted in a fall. You will need to use a carabiner on the wire loop, and then attach a sling (tied webbing if you wish), but you can not get around needing to use 2 carabiners and a sling with nuts & wired hexes.

veganboyjosh

Apr 5, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are talking about putting the webbing directly through the wire loop on the nuts and hexes, than this is a bad idea. The wire loop can cut through the webbing, and can't be trusted in a fall. You will need to use a carabiner on the wire loop, and then attach a sling (tied webbing if you wish), but you can not get around needing to use 2 carabiners and a sling with nuts & wired hexes.

this is correct. my previous post was regarding cams.

reg

Apr 5, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've got a few tied slings (11/16ths) one 2' and one 4' but i don't use them much. cheaper isn't always better. make sure you leave 6-8" tales

pastprime

Apr 5, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was the way we did it in olden times, and I always wondered why it fell out of favor. 1 piece plus on biner instead of 1 piece plus 2 biners plus a sling is lighter, simpler, and faster. Is somewhat messier to rack, but not all that much. Having a bunch of pieces on webbing will tie themselves together into one big knot, though. Perlon or spectra will be a lot less tangly.

antiqued

Apr 6, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As mentioned above, 1/2" is too weak for most nuts, and 2ft is too short. Webbing is really best used only on pieces large enough to easily get fingers in and around. It has no stiffness, and therefore you cannot extend to place above your reach, or, more importantly, into a constriction in a crack which will not allow your fingers. This will be even more obvious on removal attempts. If the nut doesn't lift out cleanly, webbing on medium nuts will force your second to pull out the nut tool. Accessory cord is usually stiff enough to help in placement and removal, is similarly priced for equivalent strength, and resists abrasion better.

Reasons for nylon falling out of favor and wire coming in:
1- webbing or cord need to be periodically replaced.
2 - the webbing length has to stay fairly short, close to wire lengths or it leads to massive congestion on a rack sling*, so an additional draw or runner is often needed anyway
3 - pain to color code
4 - Spectra is sexier

* Tape or sew the two legs together in one or two spots to minimize interpenetration and entanglement if you try to go long

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook