Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Red rocks late May
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

trangtu

Apr 8, 2006, 5:40 AM
Post #1 of 2 (818 views)
Shortcut

Red rocks late May  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Laurentians: Montagne_D_Argent: M___M)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in town Memorial Day weekend, and maybe a couple extra days before and after...is it totally crazy to try and climb at that time of the year or would it be possible on shady routes? Thanks for any beta.

mgreeby

May 5, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 2 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red rocks late May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not a local, but I have a work conference in Vegas every year at the end of May and have climbed at Red Rocks every single time. Depending on the weather and your heat tolerance, I would not think you should have too much trouble finding great climbing over that weekend.

I very rarely "chase" the shade, but depending on the type of climbing and difficulty, it is relatively easy to find. A lot of long classic trad routes are in the cooler canyons and can see a lot of shade for most of the day. Some moderate-ish sport areas (plenty of 5.9 - 11c's) such as the Black Corridor (both am/pm), Stone Wall (noon - pm), Sweet Pain Wall (noon - pm) at the Second Pullout and The Pier (pm), Mass Production Wall (am), and Holiday Wall (am/pm) at Sandstone Quarry can be in the shade in the mornings or afternoons.

Regardless, do not be afraid of the heat. It has never been so bad that we couldn't find a quality route to climb. Enjoy your weekend - I will have just finished my conference the previous weekend and will be off to San Diego for Memorial Day. Cheers!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook