Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
most exposed climb in LCC
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

blindslap

Aug 23, 2002, 5:02 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

most exposed climb in LCC  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Little_Cottonwood_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone know a long, exposed and moderate climb in Little Cotton Wood Canyon. (5.6-5.9)

climbinganne

Aug 23, 2002, 5:14 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

most exposed climb in LCC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

schoolroom is a really sweet climb and so is tingey's terror...try PMing bshaftoe or alpinerocket they know their canyon really well...and will give you awesome beta...good luck!!!

alpinerocket

Aug 24, 2002, 12:23 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Either one of these are good. Try Petapitch. Just tried Cresent Crack today. I hate the OW, it kicked our ass. I just need to improve this technique. Any more ? contact me. John

tylerphillips

Aug 26, 2002, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The BEST exposed route in LCC that is 5.9 has got to be the S-Direct on the Thumb, you can take a number of good ways to Lunch Ledge that are within the 5.7 to 5.9 range. This route is a must for any self respectin 5.9 leader.

k9rocko

Aug 27, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a self-respecting 5.9 leader, b/c I choke on Straight on For You (5.8+)

But, I do admit I want the S-direct. Good tick Tyler.

larsadam

Aug 27, 2002, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the more moderate end of this spectrum, I think Beckey's Wall is a great classic. The second pitch affords some of the best easy exposure in LCC (in my opinion). The route is only about 3 pitches as I recall and requires an exciting and circuitous descent. Schoolroom is a great route, but I don't think the the exposure is all that thrilling. I never got to climb The Coffin or a route above Perhaps called someone's (Gordon's maybe) Hangover, both of these are 5.9 and looked to afford great exposure at a harder grade.

I'm sitting in a hotel room in flat Rochester, NY and wish I was in LCC desperately, but I'm planning on going to Poke-O in ADK Park next weekend so I think I'll be OK.

dirtbag

Aug 28, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree with Phillips on this one, S direct. But just to add my two cents, Japanese terraces just up canyon of Pentapitch.

rocknpowda

Sep 5, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed Japanese Terraces with Dirtbag a while back and it is definitely sweet and doesn't see much traffic. Mr. Dirtbag is now teaching english in Korea and is probably hoping to find a nice Korean Terraces route! Good Luck you dirty DirtBag.

As T"boss"Phillips noted however, the S-Direct is much more exposed. The last pitch climbs a sea of perfectly dished granite. It is like 15 feet to the first bolt, 30 feet to the next one, 40 or 50 to the next, then to the top if I remember correctly. Don't let the runout scare you off though, as that pitch is one of the finest friction pitches in the canyon. At least now the bolts on it are bomber. When I did it, it featured the original 1/4 inch bolts, some of which were pulled by hand when they retro'd the route!

climbjs

Sep 5, 2002, 5:35 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do Pentapitch, and Perhaps. Satan's Corner has exposure, but feel very comfortable on 5.8+! Have fun!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook