RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

pastprime

Apr 20, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Pitons- Good shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone used 5.10 Piton shoes yet? I tried a pair the other day at IME, and they seemed to be really good, but they didn't have my size, so it was hard to tell how my feet would like them. I'm looking for an all day, or 1/2 day, trad shoe that will climb better than I do. I've been in 5.10 Huecos, size 11, which have become a bit large. I like them, and size was the only reason I was looking at new shoes, but when I tried these things (Pitons), I was amazed at how much better they seemed to climb, even in a too large size.
Any thoughts? Anyone know how their sizing compares to Huecos after they stretch out? I'm assuming they will stretch quite a bit less since the toe is completely rubber enclosed, and they seem to be made on a different last from Huecos, so I can't just go by the numbers on the tag compared to my old shoes. I want these to be the last shoes I buy for a long time, and want to get it right.
Any other shoes I should look at? The boys at IME, who know there stuff, seem the think these are the hot new thing- the stickiness of the rubber is amazing- and that they are lots better than the Mythos, which they also sell, which was another shoe I was considering.
Thanks.

davelwang

Apr 20, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: 5.10 Pitons- Good shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have worn mine for about a month. I really like them for all flavors of crack climbing. I also took them for some slabby friction climbs and they performed well. I think they have the perfect balance between feel and support for my climbing skills.

As for the fit, you probably noticed that the front toe section of the shoe is almost entirely covered in rubber. So far mine has not stretched on me much. The rubber has been compressed a little were my toe knuckles bend so it has botten more comfortable. I recommend sizing them exactly the way you like them at the store, they are not going to stretch at all.

pastprime

Apr 21, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, that helps.

caughtinside

Apr 21, 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you climb with Pitons, you can't claim a clean ascent.

Partner climbinginchico

Apr 21, 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you climb with Pitons, you can't claim a clean ascent.

Oh for a trophy!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook