Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Link Pitch 5+6 on East Buttress, Middle Cathedral Rock
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rm

Apr 27, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Link Pitch 5+6 on East Buttress, Middle Cathedral Rock  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley: Cathedral_Rocks: Rocks: Middle_Cathedral_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My friend and I are planning on doing Yosemite’s East Buttress of Middle Cathedral Rock at the beginning of June. From what I have read off of other forums, you can link pitches 1+2 and pitches 3+4 with a 60m rope. I was wondering if it is possible to link up the belay at the top of pitch number 6 by going up the 50 Crowded Variation and passing up the optional belay? I read one post that said the belay at the top of pitch number 6 could be linked up when climbing the original route “if the belayer was willing to unclip and walk over 10ft to the start of the bolt ladder.” Since the original route goes left before going right, it makes sense that the additional rope needed to link the belay would be present because the 50 Crowded Variation only goes right. I wanted to know if anyone had done this or if some one who has climbed the route thinks this is possible. Take care,
Ronnie Munoz

fear

Apr 27, 2006, 5:20 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: Link Pitch 5+6 on East Buttress, Middle Cathedral Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

www.supertopo.com.... Ask there.

I don't remember the exact details but we did both variations. I think if you stay to the right on the Crowded variation(much better IMO), you should be able to easily reach... If not there's an alternative bolted belay that you could downclimb easily back to.

-Fear

rm

Apr 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey fear, thanks for the suggestion. I went over to Supertopo.com and asked my question there. I thought I would post up the links to the information I got from over there. That way is some one has the same question and does a search or visits the regions route database, they can get the beta. Here is what the guys over at Supertopo.com had to say:

http://www.supertopo.com/...html?topic_id=185792

I did a search there and I found this post as well:

http://www.supertopo.com/....html?topic_id=17180

No decision yet. My partner and I will most likely try and link the pitches if the drag is not bad. I will post up the results after the climb. Take care,
Ronnie Munoz

fear

May 1, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also for East Butt...

Get there before first light or you'll be behind stacks of gumbies.

-Fear

nthusiastj

May 1, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can say that 1+2 link easily. The drag is bad, but most of the rock is loose so you don't place much anyway.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook