Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bootlegger

May 4, 2006, 6:28 PM
Post #26 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad climbers have you ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Had a small cam hanging from my harness get tangled in my shoelaces mid-way up a trad route. When I made my next move, it just cinched down tighter...that was fun. Made me think hard about switching to velcro, but I like my Mythos too well. Was thinking about converting to wiregates later this year for weight - might ought to reconsider, since I haven't had any problem with my Petzel Spirits hanging on anything.

rockguide

May 4, 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #27 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've had my nut tool get stuck on the pull loop on the back of my shoe before. That sucked. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I can imagine!

I once left a nut tool hanging on the rope in front of me (when following, not leading) and the damn thing went straight for my berries. Tore a half-inch hole in my pants right over my left one.

Yeah, they sure are built to remove nuts.

markc

May 4, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #28 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I keep my reverso attached to my belay point while climbing for ease of access and quicker turn overs...

Why you want to use your belay device as a door knocker on your junk is beyond me. I'll gladly move that off to the side unless I'm doing multiple rappels, etc. YMMV.

markc

May 4, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #29 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On one descent (or a couple), I've had one of my longer tripled slings snag on a branch and become uneven. I noticed when preparing for a large step down when my back heel caught in it. That'll throw you!

the_searcher

May 5, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #30 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, i agree with carrying a nut tool on lead...never tought about falling on it... but, when theres booty...its yours and not the s*** talkers below...arrrrr...im a greedy dirtbag... for this im sure to take the nut tool up the a** now...

chossmonkey

May 5, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #31 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've had my nut tool get stuck on the pull loop on the back of my shoe before. That sucked. :lol:

You think that sucked? I've had two different partners get the pull loop of their shoe stuck on the biner when climbing past a piece (that is, the pull loop got stuck to the biner that was clipped to the rope). You can't down climb when your shoe is clipped to the piece (unless you want to do it barefoot).

Now those are some easy clipping biners! :lol:

I don't know which would be worse. Both offer an interesting problem that will likely never happen except in the middle of the crux.

The biner clipped to the shoe would flip you upside down if you fell and possibly wreck your leg or ankle if the tab doesn't break. But because you aren't rolled up into a little ball and can probably see what the problem is, it would probably be easier to unclip.

The nut tool, while it is just a hook can be amazingly hard to unhook. The reason why it got caught on your shoe is because you just got into some really jacked position. Being stuck like that you can't see how the nut tool is hung up to unhook it. One arm is helplessly pinned against the rock while the other is doing it's best to hold on. Falling rolled up into a ball you can't get out of just probably seems more scary than it is.

sungam

May 11, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #32 of 32 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

once, on the decent from a single pitch craig, my friend got a biner clipped to a chickenwire fence, and he couldn't reach behind him to unclip it.
we left him there to sort himself out. didn't see him for at least 5 mins.

-Magnus

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook