RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner lagarita

May 10, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Carrying camera while climbing....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanted to know how ya'll carry your cameras? Do you use backpacks or carry them around your shoulder? I'm looking for something that I can carry a camera and have easy access to it when an oportunity arives. I was looking at on of these Tamarac bags as one possible option. I'm hoping that I could carry it on my harness. Even the smaller ones look like they would be bulky. What do ya'll think?

Sean

pico23

May 17, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: Carrying camera while climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best advice is do a search. This has been covered a lot.

Get a TLZ (top load zoom) and mess arround with the config. What works for others might not work for you. I have so much crap on my harness i don't need a big case dangling. it's also awkard to access and makes chimneys hard. Over the shoulder works best for me but I rarely carry an SLR on technical climbs because of the PITA factor.

tradmanclimbs

May 17, 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you are getting paid serious bucks for you photos don't bother with an SLR. You will actualy save money if you buy a point and shoot for climbing. Broken DSLRs don't fix cheaply! With your handy 5mp or better digi point and shoot and a compact case from staples or wally world Etc. clip a biner on it and hang it from the gear sling. good to go 8^)

vegastradguy

May 17, 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont use anything big and fancy, but for camera shots, since i want the camera clipped to me at all times, even when taking a picture, i have a piece of 7mm perlon thats approx the length of a shoulder sling threaded through my carrying case's belt loop. then, the camera's wrist strap is clipped indpendently to the 7mm perlon with a small locking carabiner. this allows total freedom of movement for taking pictures, but also makes sure that if i drop the camera or maybe the case's loop gets cut, the whole kit doesnt drop into the void.....

redlegrangerone

May 17, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a small digital camera. I put it in a small chalk bag, minus chalk of course, clip it to my harness and go.

tradmanclimbs

May 17, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The wrist loop on my P&S goes out the side zipper of the case, through the plastic loop on the case and binered to the gear sling. now when you unzipper the case the camera comes out and the case is hanging from the strap. nothing can be dropped.

rustypouch

May 26, 2006, 4:36 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For climbing in warm weather, my favourite is the Lowepro Singshot.

guangzhou

May 26, 2006, 4:45 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless you are getting paid serious bucks for you photos don't bother with an SLR. You will actualy save money if you buy a point and shoot for climbing. Broken DSLRs don't fix cheaply! With your handy 5mp or better digi point and shoot and a compact case from staples or wally world Etc. clip a biner on it and hang it from the gear sling. good to go

Unless opf course you are serious about your photography and like interchangeable lenses. Or, if you already own a SLR (digital or otherwise)

I carry mine in a LowePro fannybag, but I am currently working on a better solution for when I am actually climbing versus just jugging and shooting

zakr

May 26, 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I put my canon A620 in an otter box with some webbing around it and keep it on my harness. http://www.otterbox.com/...erbox/8000/index.htm
The whole setup is kinda heavy and bulky but it takes amazing pictures and the box recently saved the camera during a whip.
Zak

azrockclimber

May 26, 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless you are getting paid serious bucks for you photos don't bother with an SLR. You will actualy save money if you buy a point and shoot for climbing. Broken DSLRs don't fix cheaply! With your handy 5mp or better digi point and shoot and a compact case from staples or wally world Etc. clip a biner on it and hang it from the gear sling. good to go 8^)

the above is your answer....It works for me all the time.

dklco

May 26, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just don't give it to your belayer I was on a route once I looked down when my belayer said he was taking a picture and he was holding the camera with both hands. he was using an ATC too.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook