Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wilcox510

Jan 12, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #26 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bozeman and Missoula climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

good info - somebody here actually said they think missoula has better backcountry skiing - i havent skied in either place but if find this suprising. i have some frineds relatively new to missoula who are pretty disappointed with the skiing. poo terrain and lack of snow. all i know about skiing in bozeman is big sky and bridger, but i certainly would have guessed that bozeman had better backcountry too. it sounds like either place you kinda need a snowmobile to really access a lot of good backcountry terrain, true?

mur

Jan 12, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #27 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know there is quite a bit of BC skiing in the summer months near Bozeman if you are willing to work for it.

I spend a week camping in the Tobacco Roots every summer, around July 4th, and every year I have guys drop by my camp at Lost Cabin lake, who have been skiing. Not a ton of snow, but enough if you have the fever. Spanish Peaks, Crazies all have summer snow.

rockinrock

Jan 12, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #28 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

False! Again, I speak for Bozeman. Good backcountry can be found both in Hylite and the Spanish Peaks. As I said before a road takes you pretty much into the heart of the Hylite mountains. However, this road is not plowed and is severely rutted. A truck with high clearence and preferably chains is a must when the snow gets deep. Also, the road up to Big Sky takes you up to about 7500', and from there Beehive Basin would have good backcountry. Also, the Absaroka has a road that will take you pretty far in, right up to the mountains in fact, Pine Creek Rd. Other small roads are around that can be used for other access points. A snowmobile sure is fun, but not really necesary.

barc

Jan 12, 2006, 5:14 AM
Post #29 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The winter sports are much better in Boz., obviously. For rock climbing, I think its probably a toss. Kotaitne (I'm not going to check spelling) has great sport routes and good hard trad lines, though not an overall large number of routes. Blogget really only has one good 5.8 and one hairy 5.9 (the drip), but probably five or so really good 10 or 11's. There's good possiblities for aid there as well. The only good bouldering (in my opinion) is at the whiskey (shh..) and I guess Boz. is a little closer.

I've never lived in Boz, but I've lived in Missoula for a long time. I don't know a funner town to hang out in. If you want to get all nit picky about that fact that there are hippies you can suck my dick.

Elliott

esp71

Jan 12, 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #30 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My best friend and first climbing partner worked at Tom Youngst's machine shop for years. He came home one day slack jawed and said Alex had dropped in that afternoon to tell Tom how he had just soloed and skied off the Grand Teton. "Does that make me extreme?" he asked

There is an article originaly from outside magazine called "The Mutant and the Boy Scout". The true stuff is wilder than the myths.

Many of my friends who are still in bozeman are seriously talking of leaving, the money thing is just out of control. Shitty little dumps on the north side are selling for $100k more than my house north of Boston. The mountains are still great and there is money to be made in the building biz right now, but who knows how long that will last.

When I graduated high school in '89 I had my pick of apartments and paid $100 or less a month for the next 5 years! Those days are sooo over.

I managed to slide on snow in every month of the year but september while I was there.

mtmountaineer

Jan 12, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #31 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the love of god DO NOT come to montana. there are nothing but a bunch of sheep fucker cowboys up here who hate rock climbers/skiers/wearers of the patagouch. i would recommend a move to boulder or jackson, because both of those places are so dope. i really think that it would be in your best interest to steer clear of the big sky state, and if you were a caring person, you would tell all of your friends to do the same.

roshiaitareya

Jan 12, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #32 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
for the love of god DO NOT come to montana. there are nothing but a bunch of sheep fucker cowboys up here who hate rock climbers/skiers/wearers of the patagouch. i would recommend a move to boulder or jackson, because both of those places are so dope. i really think that it would be in your best interest to steer clear of the big sky state, and if you were a caring person, you would tell all of your friends to do the same.

Then why do you live here? I don't find it all that bad, and I've never had any bad experiences with people hating climbers or skiers. I'm not a cowboy, and I certainly don't do sheep. If you hate Montana so much, perhaps you should move.

aeray

Jan 12, 2006, 7:40 AM
Post #33 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my bad tick experience was in 02-03. they're still there

roshiaitareya

Jan 12, 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #34 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my bad tick experience was in 02-03. they're still there

What time of year were you there? Ticks usually come around just after the wet spring months, and last through June ish. After that it's too dry for them and they go back into hibernation or whatever they do. I've never had a problem with ticks in the east rosebud valley... in fact I haven't had a problem with ticks for many years. The last time I can remember having to worry about ticks was about 8 years ago or so, but that was in the Billings area. In my opinion ticks aren't anything to worry about.

fredo

Jan 13, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #35 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
IMissoula does have more sprawl (if you could say anything in Montana is sprawling) and is less scenic from within the town.

I dunno. I compare Msla today with 20 years ago, Bozeman ditto. I see way more sprawl in Bozeman. Out to Gallatin Gateway, north, etc etc. Look at how many strip malls have cropped up. And, good lard, the R bar is a fern bar. And, a store on main street that sells gormet dog food? Amazing. Be an interesting urban study, though. Wonder what the census has done in the last 20 to 30 years?

Anyone remember Bridger Mountain Sports, (ugh, memory, can't think of the climbing store on the end of main street, and the one just north of the middle of main street, help!).

In reply to:
True, Missoula does have the Mission Mountains and the Bitteroots, but these are easily matched and surpassed by the Spanish Peaks, Hylite Peaks and (I think at least) the Tobacco Roots.

Personal preference, to be sure.

In reply to:
Also, all of these ranges near Missoula and Bozeman are not really good for rock climbing/mountaineering due to loose rock.

Hmmm...Blodgett and Kootenay (etc) in the Bitterroots? Out by Lolo Pass? Hmmm. Yeah, rock is loose and terrible out there...

In reply to:
I'll emphasize the Mission mountains because although they look spectacular I've been told that not many people climb on them because the rock is bad.

Great ice climbing. Yeah, mountaineering can be challanging due to some looseness. But still, spectacular range.

In reply to:
Alright, so Alex Lowe was not born in Bozeman, he was born in Missoula, granted.

Nope. Grew up in Missoula, but, not born in Montana. That'd be a good trivia question, eh?

In reply to:
As for granite walls in the Beartooths being everywhere... Enter by RedLodge around Silver Run Peak and you will see what I mean. Beyond that there may not be huge walls, but everytime I go there I see a new spire or ridge or face that could be done.

Have you heard of the vigilantes? We're both in big trouble...

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

All very good points Brian..btw I was born in Frederick...seriously..that is about the only thing Alex Lowe and I have in common, that and he probably climbed Ironmonger and Pleasent Surprise. Only difference is I use a rope. My issues with the Missions involve more of the bushwhack from hell approaches. Although off trail in Kootenai (ha ha spelling) is pretty miserable. And the rock complete crap....yeah right... Seems to me Mr. Lowe has a number of 1st's in the Missoula area...Lowe variation to No Sweat Arete comes to mind oh yeah that one mountain Brunkhorst's guide..North Trapper..The Lowe Route IV 5.11. Not trying to pull punches to the 1st reply to the OP, but you seem a bit biased and didactic....

Hey anybody here anything about Aliens :wink:

BTW the fishing in the greater Missoula area is pretty awesome too

fulton

Jan 25, 2006, 6:47 PM
Post #36 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

- Shift in topic to avoid a new post -
Question for Missoulaians -

I'm getting confused on beta for local ice climbing. Am I correct that Finely Creek (near Placid Lake) and Finley Creek (near Evaro) are two seperate areas?

Please PM me - Thanks

Partner tyify

Jan 26, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #37 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently in Bozeman going to school and love it here. Great outdoor feel to the school. Rarely do you find people that don't ski/climb/hike. Hyalite is an ourdoorist's wet dream. So many diffrent activities for people to participate in up there. Housing is rape as is pay however so unless your going to school its difficult to live here. Bridger Bowl Ski area is a great community ski area frequented by basically only locals which makes it nice. If your coming here for school as I have its a great place to be!

go_dyno

Jan 26, 2006, 8:36 AM
Post #38 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bozone is expensive! The little surrounding towns are now expensive too! I came to MT to live in BZN and couldn't afford it and it was TOO BIG and growing, so I moved to Livingston. In 2 years my rent has almost doubled b/c all the Fuppies (future yuppies) are moving to all the surrounding towns. All of my friends houses have appreciated over a $100K in the last year. Everyone I know is running out to get a real estate license to get in on the buying frenzies.

I guess it doesn't really matter though since the YELLOWSTONE SUPER VOLCANO is going to erupt and kill us all anyway!

God Bless

schmidty06

Jan 29, 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #39 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While Bozeman is really cool, there's something about it that just kind of scares me. If I remember correctly, it's the fastest growing city in the state. Just watch, it will grow huge like Billings did and then take a hard nose dive.

I'm going to look for realestate in the Carbon County/Red Lodge area, even though prices around there are kind of princely considering that it's a resort town of sorts.

schmidty06

Jan 31, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #40 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, we have to be careful on who we let in on the secret, though. (Realizing that I'm posting this online... ah crap).

I'm actually looking at investing in real estate there now so the out-of-staters won't be able to buy it up later.

mojede

May 30, 2006, 3:36 PM
Post #41 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="schmidty06"]Yeah, Butte sucks all-around, Missoula isn't as great as people make it out to be, and the real climbing action is around Bozeman and in the Beartooths.

The reason that Butte is located in between the two outdoor trendoid towns is that it wants nothing to do with either. The mountain biking is world class, as is our new two-pool skatepark, and the climbing is infinite--I have yet to touch the same crag/pebble twice and anybody who knows me realizes what that means.

I am working on three new (non-granite) areas--two of which are overhanging limestone crags and truly awesome. Our streets may not be pretty and nobody is running around trying to drop outdoor celebrity (wanna be?) names in their "colors"--which is exactly the way we want it to be. Don't criticize what you don't know. As for me, the rest of my life will be filled with first ascents of close, local five-star routes--can anybody in Missoula/Bozeman say the same?

madclimbr13

May 30, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #42 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright... so what it comes down to is that Bozeman is the shit for anything outdoor related. For some nice trad head up the gallatin canyon towards big sky, for sport there are spots like Scortched Earth (all 5.10 to 5.12, really nice long routes, almost all are over 12 clips), Revenue Flats which is shorter climbs but a beautiful location and the pass which is real close to town (don't park on the highway park at the exit). And the skiing around there kicks ass!!

go_dyno

May 30, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #43 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For out-of-staters looking to buy property near some uncharted climbing areas I would recommend the areas aound the cities of Plentywood or Circle.

You Becha!

fredo

May 30, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #44 of 44 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and the climbing is infinite--I have yet to touch the same crag/pebble twice and anybody who knows me realizes what that means.

Have to agree with ya, the climbing in the greater Butte area is phenom. Endless and untouched hardly describes it, beautiful grippy granite, with stellar views and no one to share with

BTW, do you (mojede) have any info on the Humbugs, other than The Wedge, I promise I'll keep it all quite like. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook