wHY WE NEED TO CARRY FIREARMS....
Report this Post
Can't Post

...or have gun will shoot....
In reply to:
Naked Man Takes 'Risk', Gets Shot At
By Associated Press
Wed Jun 14, 11:36 PM

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - A marriage-minded man ran naked through his neighborhood, trying to show his hesitant girlfriend that taking risks is important. He got more than he bargained for when he ended up being chased and shot at.

"Just when you thought you had heard everything," Ann Arbor police Detective Sgt. Jim Stephenson told The Ann Arbor News.

The couple were discussing marriage early Wednesday when the woman said she wasn't sure if she was ready, according to Ann Arbor police reports. The man responded that taking risks is an important part of life and, to prove his point, jumped out of a first-floor window and ran naked across the street.

Before he could return, he spotted a couple walking and hid in some bushes to avoid them. A 28-year-old man noticed the bushes rustling and bare feet underneath, then drew a .40-caliber handgun and ordered the naked man out, police said.

The naked suitor ran away, but the armed man gave chase and threatened to shoot, police said. The gunman fired a shot and the naked man fell to the ground, suffering minor injuries.

A resident called police, who arrested the gunman on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. He was taken to the Washtenaw County jail but released following further investigation, police Sgt. Patrick Hughes told The Associated Press.

The naked man was not arrested and didn't want to pursue charges, Hughes said.
http://www.comcast.net/...ml&cvqh=itn_nakedman

...personally I would have shot the guy. I mean you just can't have people running around neked all the time....next thing you know someone like Rosy O'Donnel will come streaking through your neighborhood while your eating .....these are our gauranteed rights....shooting at neked people is something we need to preserve and protect....

Bang

MaD

rockguide

Jun 15, 2006, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Re: wHY WE NEED TO CARRY FIREARMS.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I was walking late at night with a loved one and some naked freak jumped out, I would probably get very defensive and protective of my loved one.

Fists and knives would tend to be a defensive weapon requiring the stranger to close the distance (I wouldn't go after them, and my arms are only so long). A gun speeds up the judge/jury/executioner process.

I am happy that Canada has avoided the gun culture, it is slowly changing, but I prefer this.

The story in the OP is played out frequently - without the gun. Two (probably) good people's lives cross with one making a bad decision, the other a panicky bad decision, a gun in the mix and a bunch of lives were almost ruined.

Yes, I know. Crimes have been prevented by giving citizens access to guns and the citizen producing them when threatened. I don't live in a gun culture with an arms race between felons and citizens.

wjca

Jun 15, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #3 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, how threatening can a man be hiding naked in the bushes? Once he steps out, you can tell right away whether he's armed or not. Thus indicating the need to shoot.

Of course, when I'm naked, I'm always packing heat. My concealed weapon is indeed dangerous, at least as far as the pretty ladies need be concerned. How you doin'?

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 15, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #4 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
happy that Canada has avoided the gun culture, it is slowly changing, but I prefer this.

well...all the conservatives are changing is the gun registry...which is a joke.....this will make it easier to own rifles (good for me).....and won't effect handguns....they'll be just as impossible to own legally as ever...sadly, due to the USA being so close, its easier to get your hands on an illegal handgun vs a legally obtained one....

USA> its a right
CANADA> its a privilege

fenix83

Jun 15, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #5 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I was walking late at night with a loved one and some naked freak jumped out, I would probably get very defensive and protective of my loved one.

Fists and knives would tend to be a defensive weapon requiring the stranger to close the distance (I wouldn't go after them, and my arms are only so long). A gun speeds up the judge/jury/executioner process.

I am happy that Canada has avoided the gun culture, it is slowly changing, but I prefer this.

The story in the OP is played out frequently - without the gun. Two (probably) good people's lives cross with one making a bad decision, the other a panicky bad decision, a gun in the mix and a bunch of lives were almost ruined.

Yes, I know. Crimes have been prevented by giving citizens access to guns and the citizen producing them when threatened. I don't live in a gun culture with an arms race between felons and citizens.

Dude, I respect you, and your riight to hold that point of view, but appears to be uniinformed to say the least. Before I get into it, I would like you to clarify the bold statements.

epic_ed

Jun 15, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup -- what fenix said. We're good at engaging in these pro-gun owner conversations without getting too personal, so have at it -- most of the time it's a discussion worth having.

Now, in this case they guy with the gun should most certainly get prosecuted for assault. You can't go around brandishing a weapon -- anywhere. In no state that I'm aware of would an unarmed, naked man rise to the criteria needed to meet "confronted with deadly force". Unless this streaker guy had a REALLY BIG dick. And even then you can't just shoot him for having an enormous package. In order to use deadly force, it must be proven that the streaker tried to use his massive schlong in an aggressive manner that would inflict bodily harm. Short of meeting those benchmarks, dude has to holster his weapon.

Now, please, let's not take this ONE example of an idiot with a gun who has no idea when or where to use it and try to make broad, sweeping, blanket statements about how this proves that the average Joe has no business owning a gun and can't be trusted with them. Bullshit. For any case where you have a mental-midget like this brandishing a gun and using it inappropriately, I can come up with 10 stories where someone with a CCW permit and a gun saved the day.

Most gun owners are responsible individuals and take the responsibility of owning and carrying a gun very seriously. It should be noted that this guy was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. That means he hadn't been through any proper training about when it is OK to use a gun in self-defense, and more importantly, when you CANNOT use a gun. This particular gun owner was an idiot. Don't let that color your perception of those 99% of us who know what the heck we're doing. There are laws in place to deal with renegade idiots like the fella in the story above, and in this case the laws will work to prevent this guy from doing it again.

Ed

epic_ed

Jun 15, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #7 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup -- what fenix said. We're good at engaging in these pro-gun owner conversations without getting too personal, so have at it -- most of the time it's a discussion worth having.

Now, in this case they guy with the gun should most certainly get prosecuted for assault. You can't go around brandishing a weapon -- anywhere. In no state that I'm aware of would an unarmed, naked man rise to the criteria needed to meet "confronted with deadly force". Unless this streaker guy had a REALLY BIG dick. And even then you can't just shoot him for having an enormous package. In order to use deadly force, it must be proven that the streaker tried to use his massive schlong in an aggressive manner that would inflict bodily harm. Short of meeting those benchmarks, dude has to holster his weapon.

Now, please, let's not take this ONE example of an idiot with a gun who has no idea when or where to use it and try to make broad, sweeping, blanket statements about how this proves that the average Joe has no business owning a gun and can't be trusted with them. Bullshit. For any case where you have a mental-midget like this brandishing a gun and using it inappropriately, I can come up with 10 stories where someone with a CCW permit and a gun saved the day.

Most gun owners are responsible individuals and take the responsibility of owning and carrying a gun very seriously. It should be noted that this guy was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. That means he hadn't been through any proper training about when it is OK to use a gun in self-defense, and more importantly, when you CANNOT use a gun. This particular gun owner was an idiot. Don't let that color your perception of those 99% of us who know what the heck we're doing. There are laws in place to deal with renegade idiots like the fella in the story above, and in this case the laws will work to prevent this guy from doing it again.

Ed

rockguide

Jun 15, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks - I will clarify the bold statements. Keeping things respectful rather than polarized will help us all learn something rather than just get more convinced that we are right.

The judge jury executioner statement is around the idea that when you shoot someone, they deserve to die. Because they might. Pulling a gun and not shooting it is a statement that the person in front of you may die.

I don't want a thread drift into capital punishment - but real capital punishment should be a deliberated process with many decisions that eventually lead to the needle (or chair, or noose, or lions, etc.). The victims (or families of the victims) should have a voice, but not the voice.

A handgun gives the victim, family of the victim, potential victim power to inflict a capital punishment from a place of emotion - and possible error. Sometimes it is justified, sometimes not.

Free way shootings (as happen in LA) are potential capital punishment for driving offenses (and possibly killing innocents). That is a combination of available gun (legal or not), an out of control anger, and a feeling of both injustice and being able to get away with it. Extreme case - and reported heavily in the media so it seems more common than it is. In Canada we have attempted freeway knifings, but they don't seem to be as successful.

The Arms race I spoke of was that if guns are everywhere (or percieved to be everywhere) then the citizens arm up. The felons have to arm up too, or risk gettingshot. More gun crimes, more armed civilians, more gun crimes (and accidents).

We have crime in Canada - don't let me paint my home as a peaceful paradise (we had unicorns prancing freely, but they were killed and the horns sold to finance crack habits). Just that gun crimes were rare and only now increasing. slowly.

All I can truly speak of is the places I live and know. I have lived in California, and I considered getting a gun when I lived there.

rockguide

Jun 15, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #9 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh, and I agree - the gun owner in the story was extreme and will be punished appropriatly - through existing laws.

This situation should not be used as the defining argument for gun control any more than someone who uses a gun to defend their family should.

B

(will this thread remain respectful? Could it start a trend here at RC.com? Naw...)

fenix83

Jun 15, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #10 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about the rest of the denizens of Scommuniity, but I can assure you Ed and I will keep it civil, respectful and on topic, as you have.

In reply to:

And wouldn't you want the best possible tool to do that?

In reply to:
The judge jury executioner statement is around the idea that when you shoot someone, they deserve to die. Because they might. Pulling a gun and not shooting it is a statement that the person in front of you may die.

I agree with this, except in saying that they deserve to die. Two people who are very close to me have been involved in shootings in separate occasions, both of their lives, and in one case, the life of a kid was saved by their ability to defend themselves, and this wouldn't be possible without the guns. In neither case did they feel the other guys deserved death, they were simply fighting for their lives.

My question is, why do you think the "judge and jury is more prevalent with a gun than a knife?

In reply to:
A handgun gives the victim, family of the victim, potential victim power to inflict a capital punishment from a place of emotion - and possible error. Sometimes it is justified, sometimes not.

A handgun gives a victim the power to stop his attackers, death is an unwanted byproduct, not the goal.

In reply to:
Free way shootings (as happen in LA) are potential capital punishment for driving offenses (and possibly killing innocents). That is a combination of available gun (legal or not), an out of control anger, and a feeling of both injustice and being able to get away with it. Extreme case - and reported heavily in the media so it seems more common than it is. In Canada we have attempted freeway knifing, but they don't seem to be as successful.

Freeway shootings are criminal behavior, period. It does not reflect, trained citizens who carry weapons legally. It's like saying dogfights (organized) reflect on dog ownership. I know no harsher opponent of dog fights than dog lovers, I know no harsher judge and prosecutor of illegal gun use than legal gun owners.

In reply to:
The Arms race I spoke of was that if guns are everywhere (or perceived to be everywhere) then the citizens arm up. The felons have to arm up too, or risk getting shot. More gun crimes, more armed civilians, more gun crimes (and accidents).

I believe that this is inherently flawed logic (no offense).
-The felons don't arm up because the citizens arm up, they arm up to prey on the citizens. Without guns they would arm up with other tools, or through sheer numbers.
-What makes you feel armed citizens are unable to properly and safely handle their guns? We trust cops to do it every day.

epic_ed

Jun 15, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #11 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RE: judge, jury, executioner -- criminals make this decision every day. Armed criminals -- be it with a gun, knife, or brute force -- kill people. If I am armed, I then get the choice to defend myself and have a chance to survive to see the day when I will possibly have to answer to a judge and jury why I chose to use it. If I have no gun in that situation, I have no court date. I just get a funeral.

Do people make mistakes when using a gun in self defense? I'll conceed that there are incidents where this happens. Tragic. But it's most often the fault of the perpetrator and not the gun owner. If you're completely jacked up on meth and break into my house and act aggressively toward me or my family, you're gonna die. You may have had no intention of doing me any harm, but because you under the influence of the whacky-cracky you unintentionally did something to threaten me. BANG! Sorry -- you're dead. It may be that you were just lost or confused, but if you are breaking into my house I'm in no position to try to play "sit down, let's talk about it" to try to determine what your intentions are. If you don't stop after the dogs rip your ballz off and after I've shouted my one and only warning -- then you're dead. Even if you have no visible weapon,you're dead because I have no idea who you are, what you're on, what you're planning, or what you're capable of doing and you've forced me into a situation where I have to make a rather quick life or death decision to protect my family or leave the consequences of the outcome to your benevolence.

As for guns being used by people with out of control anger such as road rage -- have you ever heard of a case where the shooter was caught afterward and that person was just your normal, average, every-day soccer mom? Me neither. The perp is always a gang-banger or someone who already has a rap sheet a mile long. This is a case of a criminal owning a gun. It's illegal, but they always manage to get them. If there are laws preventing all citizens from owning guns, criminal won't be forced to resort to using less-effective knives -- they'll still have guns. It's you and me that will be forced to defend ourselves with knives should the gun toting criminal attack.

It's a fantasy to think that gun laws prevent gun crime. The statistics just don't bear it out. Not in Australia, not in England, and not in Canada. Certainly not in Washington, D.C. Guns, and lesser weapons, are used more often to commit violent crimes than before the gun bans existed.

Ed

jred

Jun 15, 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a fantasy to think that gun laws prevent gun crime. The statistics just don't bear it out. Not in Australia, not in England, and not in Canada. Certainly not in Washington, D.C. Guns, and lesser weapons, are used more often to commit violent crimes than before the gun bans existed.

Ed I can't agree with you on this one, do some simple searches and see how many peole died in Aus. Can. Eng. by gun, look at the gun laws of each country, compare those stats with US gun deaths and get back to me. The statistic most certainly do not "bear out".Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Unintentional

USA 4.08 (1999) 6.08 (1999) 0.42 (1999)

Canada 0.54 (1999) 2.65 (1997) 0.15 (1997)

Switzerland 0.50 (1999) 5.78 (1998) -

Scotland 0.12 (1999) 0.27 (1999) -

England/Wales 0.12 (1999/00) 0.22 (1999) 0.01 (1999)

Japan 0.04* (1998) 0.04 (1995) <0.01 (1997)

* Homicide & attempted homicide by handgun

Data collected by Philip Alpers, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and HELP Network

Additional data can be found in Table A.10 of the World Report on Violence and Health, published by the World Health Organization on 3 October 2002

fenix83

Jun 15, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #13 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't agree with you on this one, do some simple searches and see how many peole died in Aus. Can. Eng. by gun, look at the gun laws of each country, compare those stats with US gun deaths and get back to me. The statistic most certainly do not "bear out".Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Data collected by Philip Alpers, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and HELP Network

Additional data can be found in Table A.10 of the World Report on Violence and Health, published by the World Health Organization on 3 October 2002

I don't have time to pursue the data and collection method for these statistics right now, although they don't look right. Even assuming those are correct, it does not make a convincing argument against legal gun ownership.

-These statistics consider ONLY gun deaths, it does not say how many are in self defence and how many are criminal.

-They do not consider other forms of violence and crime; guns tend to lower both of these, especially violent crime against females.

-F

rhaig

Jun 15, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #14 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...or have gun will shoot....
In reply to:
Naked Man Takes 'Risk', Gets Shot At
By Associated Press
Wed Jun 14, 11:36 PM

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - A marriage-minded man ran naked through his neighborhood, trying to show his hesitant girlfriend that taking risks is important. He got more than he bargained for when he ended up being chased and shot at.

"Just when you thought you had heard everything," Ann Arbor police Detective Sgt. Jim Stephenson told The Ann Arbor News.

The couple were discussing marriage early Wednesday when the woman said she wasn't sure if she was ready, according to Ann Arbor police reports. The man responded that taking risks is an important part of life and, to prove his point, jumped out of a first-floor window and ran naked across the street.

Before he could return, he spotted a couple walking and hid in some bushes to avoid them. A 28-year-old man noticed the bushes rustling and bare feet underneath, then drew a .40-caliber handgun and ordered the naked man out, police said.

The naked suitor ran away, but the armed man gave chase and threatened to shoot, police said. The gunman fired a shot and the naked man fell to the ground, suffering minor injuries.

A resident called police, who arrested the gunman on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. He was taken to the Washtenaw County jail but released following further investigation, police Sgt. Patrick Hughes told The Associated Press.

The naked man was not arrested and didn't want to pursue charges, Hughes said.
http://www.comcast.net/...ml&cvqh=itn_nakedman

...personally I would have shot the guy. I mean you just can't have people running around neked all the time....next thing you know someone like Rosy O'Donnel will come streaking through your neighborhood while your eating .....these are our gauranteed rights....shooting at neked people is something we need to preserve and protect....

Bang

MaD

this is why concealed handgun classes in TX make sure that you know when you're allowed to shoot or not. This is definately a no-shoot situation.

rhaig

Jun 15, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #15 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ed
I can't agree with you on this one, do some simple searches and see how many peole died in Aus. Can. Eng. by gun, look at the gun laws of each country, compare those stats with US gun deaths and get back to me. The statistic most certainly do not "bear out".Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

apples and oranges. look at the rate of change of the violent crime numbers around the time that the guns were banned. look also at the same rates in states in the US that passed concealed handgun laws. In Texas, there was a decrease in the rate of increase of violent crime about 6 months after the CHL law was passed. That was about the time that the law was tested in court.

jred

Jun 15, 2006, 9:43 PM
Post #16 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't have time to pursue the data and collection method for these statistics right now, although they don't look right. Even assuming those are correct, it does not make a convincing argument against legal gun ownership.

-These statistics consider ONLY gun deaths, it does not say how many are in self defence and how many are criminal.

-They do not consider other forms of violence and crime; guns tend to lower both of these, especially violent crime against females.

-F
So you figure the W.H.O. has a secret agenda? What would that be? Where would you pursue your gun deaths stats, the N.R.A. or other gun company sponsered groups?
Really, what does it matter if the deaths are criminal/self defence. Are you implying that these other countries are with higher crime rates (not true) because people do not own guns? Are you implying that the USA is less violent country because of guns, less violent than any of the above countries? You are right though the above stats mention ONLY gun deaths and fail to mention maiming ETC.

epic_ed

Jun 15, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #17 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JRed -- good data points. I'll conceed that the rates of gun violence drop in most countires where bans are instituted. I should have stated the rate of violent crime rises or isn't impacted significantly. That comment is based on what I've heard and I have no data to back it up, so I'll do some searching when I get a chance and post again later.

Ed

jred

Jun 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #18 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
JRed -- good data points. I'll conceed that the rates of gun violence drop in most countires where bans are instituted. I should have stated the rate of violent crime rises or isn't impacted significantly. That comment is based on what I've heard and I have no data to back it up, so I'll do some searching when I get a chance and post again later.

Ed
The thing is even in a hypothetical more violent/less gun society there would be fewer deaths. I really do not believe that the USA has a lower violent crime rate compared to say Switzerland, Japan and I know for a fact Canada has a lower violent crime rate, we are working hard to change that though.

reno

Jun 16, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #19 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The thing is even in a hypothetical more violent/less gun society there would be fewer deaths. I really do not believe that the USA has a lower violent crime rate compared to say Switzerland, Japan and I know for a fact Canada has a lower violent crime rate, we are working hard to change that though.

Different cultures, dude.

Banning alcohol from the Native American Reservations hasn't resulted in a decreased rate of alcoholism compared to other parts of the US.

Banning drugs didn't result in a reduced rate of drug addicts.

Banning alcohol during prohibition didn't result in fewer alcohol related crimes.

Banning speeding hasn't resulted in a reduced rate of traffic accidents/deaths.

Banning gambling in some areas hasn't reduced the amount of gambling.

Switzerland, Japan, et al have cultures that differ on numerous facets compared to the US. Gun laws are but one of those facets, and to place the blame for statistic differences on just one facet is just a little too convenient for my tastes.

jred

Jun 16, 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #20 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Different cultures, dude.

Banning alcohol from the Native American Reservations hasn't resulted in a decreased rate of alcoholism compared to other parts of the US.

Banning drugs didn't result in a reduced rate of drug addicts.

Banning alcohol during prohibition didn't result in fewer alcohol related crimes.

Banning speeding hasn't resulted in a reduced rate of traffic accidents/deaths.

Banning gambling in some areas hasn't reduced the amount of gambling.

Switzerland, Japan, et al have cultures that differ on numerous facets compared to the US. Gun laws are but one of those facets, and to place the blame for statistic differences on just one facet is just a little too convenient for my tastes.
I agree with you to an extent Reno, banning guns in the USA would not change a thing, guns are as American as apple pie, they are a part of American life and to a lesser extent North American life. Banning guns would be like banning apples, there are just far too many for a ban to ever be effective. However that does not change the statistics that clearly show a relationship between guns and death. I feel this makes a good argument for gun control in countries without current (major) gun problems, my own country, Canada for an example. Canada, UK and the USA have many cultural differences but comparatively on a world scale we are quite similar, Canada and the UK have tighter gun laws and less death by gun as a result, I think it would be a very bad move to loosen our gun laws to the likes of America, more deaths would certainly result, perhaps not to the same extent as we tend to be less violent as a whole. (That was not a dig at American culture, if you guys lived in a country the size of Europe and had the same population as New York you probably would kill each other less too.)

reno

Jun 16, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #21 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However that does not change the statistics that clearly show a relationship between guns and death. I feel this makes a good argument for gun control in countries without current (major) gun problems, my own country, Canada for an example.

Sure, I see your point, but on the whole, America has a lower rate of accidental strangulation by lederhosen than does, say, Switzerland. Should the Swiss ban lederhosen?

The primary problem I have with the gun control argument you (and others) have put forth is this: The simple act of owning a firearm does not automatically equate to causing the death of another. Did you know that yesterday, several hundred thousand firearm owners didn't shoot anyone? ;)

Like owning a car, it is the improper, uneducated, inexperienced use that creates the problem. There are far more factors involved (how much drug crime does Switzerland have, anyway?) to make such a black-and-white argument of "less control means more deaths."

If it were up to me, I'd make a law about guns that requires much more education and training. LOTS of it. Every year. IMHO, and I think the stats will support this (though, admittedly I haven't checked yet,) this increase of education and training will have a much greater effect more restrictions.

thegreytradster

Jun 16, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #22 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the ban crowd, pick a couple of papers and read them!

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/...day/RTCResearch.html

jred

Jun 16, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #23 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
However that does not change the statistics that clearly show a relationship between guns and death. I feel this makes a good argument for gun control in countries without current (major) gun problems, my own country, Canada for an example.

Sure, I see your point, but on the whole, America has a lower rate of accidental strangulation by lederhosen than does, say, Switzerland. Should the Swiss ban lederhosen?

The primary problem I have with the gun control argument you (and others) have put forth is this: The simple act of owning a firearm does not automatically equate to causing the death of another. Did you know that yesterday, several hundred thousand firearm owners didn't shoot anyone? ;)

Like owning a car, it is the improper, uneducated, inexperienced use that creates the problem. There are far more factors involved (how much drug crime does Switzerland have, anyway?) to make such a black-and-white argument of "less control means more deaths."

If it were up to me, I'd make a law about guns that requires much more education and training. LOTS of it. Every year. IMHO, and I think the stats will support this (though, admittedly I haven't checked yet,) this increase of education and training will have a much greater effect more restrictions.
Man, this may sound crazy but I bet more Americans have died by lederhosen strangulation than have Swiss, now if you were talking fondue skewering and cuckoo clock blugeonings........
What you propose is a form of gun control, if mandatory training and education is what you are getting at.

reno

Jun 16, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #24 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Man, this may sound crazy but I bet more Americans have died by lederhosen strangulation than have Swiss, now if you were talking fondue skewering and cuckoo clock blugeonings........

I gotta call BS. No self-respecting American would be caught dead in lederhosen. 'Cept mebbe those freaks up in Wisconsin, but can you blame 'em? Heck, they don't even have a decent football team anymore... nothing left to do but eat cheese, drink beer, and wear women's clothing.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, you know.

In reply to:
What you propose is a form of gun control, if mandatory training and education is what you are getting at.

OK, I'll give you that, but it's not "Gun Control" in the same sense you were advocating before (i.e. a ban on guns.) It's only "gun control" in the same sense that having to take a driving exam to get a license to drive is "car control."

overlord

Jun 16, 2006, 8:44 AM
Post #25 of 211 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
apples and oranges. look at the rate of change of the violent crime numbers around the time that the guns were banned. look also at the same rates in states in the US that passed concealed handgun laws. In Texas, there was a decrease in the rate of increase of violent crime about 6 months after the CHL law was passed. That was about the time that the law was tested in court.

empahsis mine. i wouldnt call that a success. a success would be a decrease of the rate of violent crime.

anyway, i wont get into details now because i go climbing in 45min and i still havent eaten or packed.

but i think that comparing usa with other countries that have stricter gun laws is comparing apples and oranges. why? because of the numeber of (legal and illegal) guns in usa. and if you made a law that requried citizens to return their guns, you can bet that the honest ppl would be the only ones to abide by it. criminals would happily keep theirs.

so while im am against pro-gun-laws, i strongly believe that implementing stricter laws in the usa would be a BIG mistake. it would just make a bigger mess than it already is.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook