RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

glyn_t

Jun 20, 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

new rappelling question,, update
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello,
i am new here so don't bash to hard. i am about to go out and do some rappelling and i need a rope. i spent 8yrs in the Army and have done fast rope, and alot of rappelling. now, in saying that. i don't know anything other than what rope they gave me. i am looking for a place to get some good CHEAP rope. i would like to stay away from the OD green rope that i am use to. . flashbacks :) ... anyway, could you guys point me in the right direction. by no means am i an expert. just a guy who put on a uniform and jumped down a rope a time or two.
i was looking at NEW ENGLAND KM III STATIC ROPE, is that any good? http://www.outdoorbasics.com/store/product.php?productid=1209

thanks in advance,
Glyn

tradalltheway

Jun 20, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #2 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Re: new rappelling question,, the rope thing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that's good, or you could try http://www.rockcreek.com/...listing/item2496.asp

djnibs

Jun 20, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a New England KM II 11mm rope, i think its 55m long, and I love it. Not the cheapest, but still reasonablly priced. good luck

rockguide

Jun 20, 2006, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have fun with the rappelling - you should try the climbing too .... way more fun :D

reg

Jun 20, 2006, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a KMIII white I use for rap and TR anchors - $82 for 50m static is good - try http://www.campmor.com/...rent_category_rn=232 for a BW Accelerator 60m 10.5 climbing rope ( $129 ) cause you know your going to want to climb - right?

fmd

Jun 20, 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glyn: Are they( the military) still teaching the caribiner wrap for rappelling. I heard a couple different stories that its the caribiner wrap, the munter and an 8 ring. What is the military using today??....There are many good quality ropes out there. I would be careful buying used though, for you dont know its history. Try this web site...Mountain gear.com. They have some pretty good specials....

glyn_t

Jun 20, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fmd, - to answer your question, as far as jumping over a leadge, just a simple harness and a caribiner, 2 wraps and down we go. seems fast when i started but after fast roping out of a heli, that's a whole nuther ball game. :) just grab the line and fall and roll.

thanks for the help guys. i am going to a place called Albert Pike in the south west part of Arkansas, i live in the NE corner of Texas. i could not find a place around here that sold rope. and finally something hit me like a brick. my wife works for a buddy of mine that cuts trees for a living. she is the office manager for him. DUH, climbing rope is the same,,, i think.. anyway i found a guy about 30 miles from here, which is on the way to where i am going, that sell rope to my buds company. i think he quoted me a price at 150 feet, 1/2 line for around 107.00 bucks. i think i will go down there and see what they have.

i have thought about doing some climbing but i have never know of anyone that does it that could teach me.

anyway,, thanks for the help!!!!

glyn

fmd

Jun 21, 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyln: Just a word of advice. As you know, while in the military you were expendable. I wouldnt use rope for a seat harness (thats what we used when I was in, so I am assumming thats how its down still) and the two wraps around the caribiner (called a caribiner wrap) is DANGEROUS. Dont use that type of set up. Use either 1" webbing for a seat harness or buy a commercial made harness. For a rappell device, use either a munter hitch or an ATC. As you start to learn, you'll find out that there is a better (safer) way of doing things than how you were taught in the military......Be safe...have fun......Frank

fdny-161
Deleted

Jun 21, 2006, 1:31 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Glyn,

I have done some extensive rappelling over the years, so maybe I can give you some advice. First, you want Static rope for rappelling...not Dynamic that is used for climbing. Dynamic rope has too much stretch (bounce) to it for rappelling (although you can use it if the length of the rappel is not too long).

I've always used PMI rope. It has an outer sheath which protects the inner core. The outer sheath is designed to protect the inner core against abrasive edges. I've brought a 3,000 foot rope (7/16" ) ( Tensile strength 7,000 lbs) to the top of El Capitan and rappelled repeatedly off the top (2,650'). I've also used this rope to rappel into Golindrinas Cave in Mexico (1,100' deep), as well as numerous vertical caves in the U.S.

PMI 7/16" rope has 21 nylon strands that make up its core. As a test, I've hung and bounced on only two strands with no problem. Also, the outer sheath is tested at 2500 lbs. (I've rappelled on only the sheath as a test).

PS: I'm not a rep for PMI,. However, because of the success I've had with their rope, and seen the abuse it can take in muddy, craggy caves, it's the only rope I trust .

Hope this info helps.

Jack

anykineclimb

Jun 21, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glyn_t,

keep in mind that the USGI Greenline is VERY dynamic (stretchy) if you haven't used it before, go easy on the slack rappells.

Like others have mentioned, get a real harness. A Black Diamond Bod is fine.

pastprime

Jun 21, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1/2" is a bit fat, and won't fit into many standard rappel devices.
7/16"; that is , 11mm, is the largest standard diameter in the climbing world, (except for some rescue uses, where many people are hanging from the same rope). It's somewhat less expensive, and a lot easier to work with, and still is hugely stronger than it needs to be for rappelling.

glyn_t

Jun 21, 2006, 8:18 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks alot for the advice!!!!!!!!!!

i do have a good harness that i got from a bud of mine that never used it. the only thing on the harness is that it says Yates Gear.. not sure who they are.

thanks again!!
glyn

glyn_t

Jun 22, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GOT SOME ROPE!!!! well, it wont be here for the weekend but i should get it next week by tuesday.. ordered 200 feet for 136 bucks..

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1041&parent_category_rn=4500702&vcat=REI_SSHP_CLIMBING_TOC

glyn

glyn_t

Jul 3, 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UPDATE....

well guys,, i had so much freain fun it was unreal.... i had a great time. and i did my first rock climbing. not by choice though. i wrapped my rope around a tree so that when i got to the bottom i could pull it down. well, it's worked before. now i had to climb back up to get my rope down. i was so tired that i took the trail down. not sure what i enjoyed most, the rappelling or the climbing. wasn't the safest thing i ever done but it did open my eyes to climbing and how fun it is... i hope to do some more. my brother took these pics while i was on the hill freaking out. he has one heck of a camera as you will see by the pics.

here is a link
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/glyn_t/?start=all

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook