RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sid_rock

Jun 25, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Trip to Ireland -- need suggestions!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be in Ireland briefly, from August 20 thru 25, and I'm looking for advise on what should be on my itinerary. I will definitely spend one day in Dublin, and I'll definitely visit the Cliffs of Moher. Other than that, I'm not sure where else I should visit. I'm hoping someone can give me guidance on this matter.

In particular, I'm looking for some place that confirms with my vision of Ireland: a wind-swept, grassy cliff overlooking rough seas, with an old stone house near the top, gray skies and a gentle drizzle, with sheep grazing in the background. Who knows... maybe this was CGI generated in some movie, maybe this place really exists. But if it does exist and you know where it is, let me know!

fingerclinger

Jun 25, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trip to Ireland -- need suggestions! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost anywhere on the west coast will confirm your vision.
West Cork, ring of Kerry (lots of tourists) and Clare.
The Burren (close to the cliffs of Moher) is not to be missed.
The Aran Islands are wild and wonderful.
Moving north Donegal is a personal favorite, less touristy and is sure to satisfy your desire for drizzle :D
Enjoy

kachoong

Jun 25, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking five days in the Guiness factory should suffice. Then you'll get all the visions of natural-born crusader.

Enjoy!

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring your raincoat.

Other than that, Galway is a definite no-miss, really cool city. Dublin is hard to do in a day, if you can spend 2 or 3, you'de see way more. Also check out Blarney Castle, sort of touristy yes, but very cool. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the castle ruins. Other than that, just pick the brain of other people in your hostles, most other travellers are cool, and I checked out some great places just from word of mouth. Have fun!

Oh, and for christssake, if you do hostle, bring a bed sheet, you'll be glad you did.

roseraie

Jun 25, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Galway rules the world. It's the greatest city ever. If you want some of that landscape you're describing, either take a ferry out to Inismor (one of the Arran Islands) or go out to the Connemara. Galway is a good base for both of those trips.

I disagree about the Blarney... there are lots of other nice ruined castles, minus all the tourons, that you can see instead.

Ditto on the raincoat... I was in Ireland in late August/early September last time and it rained. Constantly.

In reply to:
Oh, and for christssake, if you do hostle, bring a bed sheet, you'll be glad you did.

Hostle, eh? :twisted:

andrewph

Jun 25, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What other people said is pretty good. If your at cliffs of Moher than the Burren is a must - cliffs are kinda part of the Burren but there are some other nice places around.

If you’re wanting to climb Ailladie in Clare (Burren area) is one of the best areas in the country.

In Dublin go to the Guinness factory they don't lie when they say it’s the best Guinness you'll ever taste (even if you don’t like it. have one) there are a few other places in the city that are worth seeing - trinity college is a place allot of tourist like to see.

If you wanna climb when you’re in Dublin - Dalkey is handy 30 mins on the train sunny till 9:30ish in august.

Also outside Dublin is Glendalough which is a really pretty (and touristy) place in the mountains with a ruined monastery and nice lakes its a good area for walking hiking if you are looking for that. Also some nice multi pitch climbing and allot of bouldering there. Though long walkins to do routes.

Don't know what your travel plans are but I'd recommend renting a car. Dublin is possible without if you’re staying in the city centre but outside Dublin you'll waste all your time waiting around if you don't have a car.

need any info you can PM me and I'll try and help you out. also for climbing info check out http://www.climbing.ie and for bouldering check out http://www.theshortspan.com

Andy

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I disagree about the Blarney... there are lots of other nice ruined castles, minus all the tourons, that you can see instead.

That's it...we're in a fight. I'll give you a whole new definition of hostle, and it will not include "a word Adam can't spell right".

sid_rock, don't listen to her, she spends all her time in her basement, strung out on Cool Ranch Doritos watching reruns of the Cosby Show muttering about how Theo was really the messiah.

Blarney Castle rules.
roseraie sucks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

roseraie

Jun 25, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
roseraie sucks.

Hey, who told you about my Doritos problem?

I've been dragged to the Blarney castle twice because the people I traveled with were DYING to kiss the damned stone.

A guy at a bar in Cork once told me that all the local guys sneak in there at night and pee on the Blarney stone.

http://image04.webshots.com/...8614951vmQCzT_ph.jpg

There. Now you've seen it. I've saved you the trip. (The poor guy would waste two of his five days traveling if he went to Cork anyways.)

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea, not much going on in Cork, and I heard that rumor too about the pee. I wouldn't go twice, however, I got too see this pretty cool cave/dungeon under the castle, that was wild. And yea, Cork was sort of lame.

As for your Doritos habit, if you don't want people too know, quit blogging about it! :lol:

roseraie

Jun 25, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for your Doritos habit, if you don't want people too know, quit blogging about it! :lol:

But I don't HAVE a blog.

If you like caving, screw the Blarney dungeon... go caving in the Burren!

I think we have officially hijacked this dude's thread.

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Totally, but it's cool, this is way more fun.

And I thought the Blarney dungeon was neat...

roseraie

Jun 25, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dammit, it's Sunday, why aren't you climbing?

I'm not because 1) I have a torn ACL and 2) I'm in Montana and don't know any climbers here

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I was out all day yesterday and have 1. the sunburn too prove it and 2. a story about maybe the most unsafe set of idiots I've ever had the misfortune to be around at the crag. (i'm PM you the details later)

rhythm164

Jun 25, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and a special thanks goes out too the OP for setting up this platform for rhythm164 & roseraie to shoot the shit and flame one another.

sid_rock

Jun 25, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #15 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't know what your travel plans are but I'd recommend renting a car. Dublin is possible without if you’re staying in the city centre but outside Dublin you'll waste all your time waiting around if you don't have a car.

Andy

Thanks for the awesome suggestions, all y'all!

I have been a bit hesitant about renting a car because, one, I have never done the "left hand drive" thing and I don't know how long my reflexes will take to adjust, and two, I don't know how to drive manual (there, I said it).

I have to say kissing the Blarney stone is definitely off my list after reading the "locals pee on it" posts.

roseraie

Jun 25, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have to say kissing the Blarney stone is definitely off my list after reading the "locals pee on it" posts.

I win! I win!

I found Bus Eirann (sp?) to be a pretty time- and cost-efficient way to get around, since I wasn't old enough to rent a car when I was there.

I would recommend spending a few days in Galway and taking day trips from there (Connemara, Burren/Cliffs of Moher, Arran Islands are all within day-trip distance)... you can do all of this without renting a car. I found some pretty cheap and not-too-lame bus tours. There are both Bus Eirann and a train between Galway and Dublin.

Photos of Inismor and of the Burren:
http://image07.webshots.com/...0841082yAnsqJ_ph.jpg
http://image04.webshots.com/...8616284QpqAiq_ph.jpg

warthog

Jun 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do the walk up to Slieve League near Donegal. As wild and holy of a place as I have ever been. If you take the boat ride in Donegal, say hello to Captain Billy from Captain Joe in Wisconsin. The Guiness is way better over there than it is here.

fingerclinger

Jun 26, 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #18 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need a car! Otherwise stay it Dublin for your visit --five days in Guinness Brewery is a good suggestion!
Driving on "the other side" is no big deal--I had to do it when I came to California--but look out for "boy racers" they drive fast on narrow roads there. As for stick shift, what better way to toast a clutch than in a ental car? If you climb, you've got the reflexes.

sid_rock

Jun 26, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #19 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Driving on "the other side" is no big deal--I had to do it when I came to California--but look out for "boy racers" they drive fast on narrow roads there. As for stick shift, what better way to toast a clutch than in a ental car? If you climb, you've got the reflexes.

You're suggesting I learn how to drive a stick shift, in a foreign country, with crazy drivers, driving on the wrong side of the road.

Nice.

fingerclinger

Jun 26, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D They do have automatics available and it's not the "wrong" side of the road there :D

roseraie

Jun 27, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #21 of 21 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're suggesting I learn how to drive a stick shift, in a foreign country, with crazy drivers, driving on the wrong side of the road.

Nice.

Well, that's actually how I learned how to drive a stick, except I was in New Zealand (Kiwi boy racers are WAY crazier than Irish boy racers).

But... it took me a while. The first five days were pretty scary. I wouldn't recommend it for a relaxing vacation. They probably do have automatics available. I've heard that how easy it is to "switch" is pretty relative to how long you've been driving. I'd only been driving 5 years, switching was easy for me. But my father, who'd been driving for 40, didn't have an easy time at all on the "wrong" side of the road.

I found buses to be just fine for a short trip in Ireland. And when you stayed out all night at the pubs the night before... it's nice to be able to sleep on the way. :)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook