Partner tradman

Jun 28, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #126 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Re: wHY WE NEED TO CARRY FIREARMS.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Like I said, if you prefer to fend off a knife attack hand-to-hand, that's fine with me. I'd much rather have a gun to draw. I know you don't get it.

I think it's you that's not getting it, Snake.

I'll ask you again, do you think a guy holding a knife on you is going to let you draw gun and shoot him?

In reply to:
Trad, and others -- what do you think I would have done in this situation?

The article doesn't say what the men were armed with or whether they threatened anybody, so I wouldn't like to say.

Why don't you tell us what you would have done?

boondock_saint

Jun 28, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #127 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have taken out a hand granade pulled the pin and grabbed one of the robbers.

Then I would have requested both of them to put down their guns and lay down with their hands on their head until police arrived. You think those pussies wanna deal with a hand granade going off in their face ? No, they don't.

Guns for show, knifes for pro. But if you really wanna get shit done, handgranades man ... C4 works well too.

Partner tradman

Jun 28, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #128 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

epic_ed

Jun 28, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #129 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad, you sound like the liberals in this country -- always criticizing those who take action, but never offering a solution. You have yet to tell me how you would prefer to defend yourself against a knife attack. So, I'm assuming you'd just choose to be a pin cushion.

Boondock has the right answer. Always carry a gernade.

No, no, no. I'm joking. Marge, I'd have done the same thing -- hand over whatever they wanted, cooperated fully, and tried my best not to escalate this situation. I would have been in full-on "code orange" mode, assessed that a threat has indeed gone from possible to active, but not to "red" (meaning I draw). If, as in this case, they are robbing and not hurting anyone or taking hostages then the best action (with the info we have available) is to not confront the perps.

If they start shooting or attempt to take someone with them -- different story.

My point is to refute tradman's and other perception that if you carry a gun, you're gonna look for every opportunity to use a gun. Bullshit. I'd bet that 99% of those who carry concealed would have done the same thing in this case. In fact, chances are that at least one of the 20 who got robbed was, indeed, packing. We're not irresponsible, reckless hillbillies just because we carry.

Ed

epic_ed

Jun 28, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #130 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad, you sound like the liberals in this country -- always criticizing those who take action, but never offering a solution. You have yet to tell me how you would prefer to defend yourself against a knife attack. So, I'm assuming you'd just prefer to be a pin cushion.

No, no, no. I'm joking. Marge, I'd have done the same thing -- hand over whatever they wanted, cooperated fully, and tried my best not to escalate this situation. I would have been in full-on "code orange" mode, assessed that a threat has indeed gone from possible to active, but not to "red" (meaning I draw). If, as in this case, they are robbing and not hurting anyone or taking hostages then the best action (with the info we have available) is to not confront the perps.

My point is to refute tradman's and other perception that if you carry a gun, you're gonna look for every opportunity to use a gun. Bullshit. I'd bet that 99% of those who carry concealed would have done the same thing in this case. In fact, chances are that at least one of the 20 who got robbed was, indeed, packing. We're not irresponsible, reckless hillbillies just because we carry.

Ed

epic_ed

Jun 28, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #131 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad, you sound like the liberals in this country -- always criticizing those who take action, but never offering a solution. You have yet to tell me how you would prefer to defend yourself against a knife attack. So, I'm assuming you'd just prefer to be a pin cushion.

Ed

fenix83

Jun 28, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #132 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How did this devolve from a reasoned discussion (for the sake of discussing, I agree nobody is going to change his/her mind) on an interesting subject to an asinine, childish name calling war?

I think Ed and I have been civil, let's all keep it that way. I'll be back later tonight to write a couple of posts, in the meantime though:

-Someone address my previous post, I was getting clobbered and Ii wonder if I just fell through the cracks or if someone got my point.

-Anyone have any links for any pie-concealment rigs? That link really got me worried about killer pie-ninjas! :lol:

-F

zozo

Jun 28, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #133 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fair enough, my tool comments did'nt do anything to raise the debate. So in order to contribute something of value I humbly submit.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

I still cant help but think Ed's own sig illustrates the pitfalls of introducing a gun into a situation where one isnt needed.

reno

Jun 28, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #134 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From 1984 to 1992 the City of Los Angeles refused to issue a single permit. In a city of 3.5 million people, over a period of nine years, not one applicant was found to have both "good moral character" and "good cause" to carry a handgun for protection. [25] As of 1992 only about 400 concealed-carry permits were issued to Los Angeles County's population of 8.86 million (0.005 percent). As of 1994, prior to Virginia's adoption of a shall-issue licensing system, only 10 persons of Fairfax County's population of over 850,000 (0.001 percent) had permits.

By comparison, as of 1994 two other states with discretionary licensing systems, Connecticut, with a population of about 3.28 million, and Indiana, with a population of about 5.54 million, had approximately 116,000 and 221,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms, respectively (3.54 percent and 3.99 percent, respectively).

To provide further perspective, contrast those numbers with the numbers in two states that had shall-issue licensing statutes. In 1992 Pennsylvania, with a population of about 12 million, had approximately 362,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms (3.02 percent), and Washington, with a population of about 4.86 million, had approximately 242,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms (4.98 percent). The Los Angeles City homicide rate around that time was approximately twice as high as that of Indianapolis and three times as high as that of Pittsburgh or Seattle. The most dangerous city issued the fewest permits per capita.

The data is kinda old, sure, but it's an interesting look at things.

Cato Institute link

kubi

Jun 29, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #135 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
From 1984 to 1992 the City of Los Angeles refused to issue a single permit. In a city of 3.5 million people, over a period of nine years, not one applicant was found to have both "good moral character" and "good cause" to carry a handgun for protection. [25] As of 1992 only about 400 concealed-carry permits were issued to Los Angeles County's population of 8.86 million (0.005 percent). As of 1994, prior to Virginia's adoption of a shall-issue licensing system, only 10 persons of Fairfax County's population of over 850,000 (0.001 percent) had permits.

By comparison, as of 1994 two other states with discretionary licensing systems, Connecticut, with a population of about 3.28 million, and Indiana, with a population of about 5.54 million, had approximately 116,000 and 221,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms, respectively (3.54 percent and 3.99 percent, respectively).

To provide further perspective, contrast those numbers with the numbers in two states that had shall-issue licensing statutes. In 1992 Pennsylvania, with a population of about 12 million, had approximately 362,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms (3.02 percent), and Washington, with a population of about 4.86 million, had approximately 242,000 outstanding permits to carry firearms (4.98 percent). The Los Angeles City homicide rate around that time was approximately twice as high as that of Indianapolis and three times as high as that of Pittsburgh or Seattle. The most dangerous city issued the fewest permits per capita.

The data is kinda old, sure, but it's an interesting look at things.

Cato Institute link

It's interesting that everyone doesn't see that those statistics mean absolutely nothing. 2 gaping holes, right off the bat: 1) Correlation does NOT equal causation. For all we know, the low crime rate in Pittsburgh could be caused by the proliferation of bridges. 2) The study cherry-picks Pittsburgh to compare with LA...why not chose Philly? Probably because the crime-rate statistics would not be nearly so compelling.

rhaig and I are on different sides of the argument, but he's a smart guy, I'm sure he'll agree that these statistics are meaningless. And just as an addendum I'll respectfully listen to the arguments of those who disagree with me as long as they aren't fuckin' ridiculous.

oh, btw reno, I wasn't calling you fuckin' ridiculous, just that article you quoted.

kubi

Jun 29, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #136 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

holy fucking bias, batman.

In reply to:
Concealed-carry reform reaffirms the basic idea that citizens have the right to defend themselves against criminal attack.

Partner tradman

Jun 29, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #137 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You have yet to tell me how you would prefer to defend yourself against a knife attack.

That's the point.

I don't spend my time being frightened of imaginary knife attacks and creating imaginary solutions to them. More to the point, I know the difference between an imaginary solution and what would happen in a real situation. You don't.

See, you're demanding that I create solutions to your lurid he-man fantasies. I'm not doing it, but it's not because I'm a coward.

It's because an imaginary solution doesn't work for me. It works for you because your problem is really fear, and an imaginary solution is ideal for that imaginary problem.

alx

Jun 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #138 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...and once the knife attack question is anwered maybe we can finally get to how you'd defend against a pie attack?

I know your dying to know how I defend myself. I bring my large, perpetually hungry yellow Lab, Roscoe with me everywhere. The second Roscoe spots a an armed assailent he leaps into action and gobbles up the weapon! Leaving me free to pie the would be attacker into submission.

The only kink I need to work out is Roscoe keeps disarming me, too.

dookie

Jun 29, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #139 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="reno"]
In reply to:
Hells yeah, everyone round here has a gun! Not to mention the 45 of them we have in the safe at home :D It does help that many major arms factories are in this area: CT is home to Colt, Ruger, Mossberg and then you've got Springfield Mass right up the road with Smith and Wesson, and Savage in Westfield.

epic_ed

Jun 29, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #140 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...and once the knife attack question is anwered maybe we can finally get to how you'd defend against a pie attack?

Clearly, if you're packing a fork, that would be the best defense against the pie attack. But tradman would rather not consider the possibility that he may, indeed, be confronted with a banana cream just when he's minding his own business so he'll be forced to use his fingers. Or borrow your dog.

Ed

epic_ed

Jun 29, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #141 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You have yet to tell me how you would prefer to defend yourself against a knife attack.

That's the point.

I don't spend my time being frightened of imaginary knife attacks and creating imaginary solutions to them. More to the point, I know the difference between an imaginary solution and what would happen in a real situation. You don't.

See, you're demanding that I create solutions to your lurid he-man fantasies. I'm not doing it, but it's not because I'm a coward.

It's because an imaginary solution doesn't work for me. It works for you because your problem is really fear, and an imaginary solution is ideal for that imaginary problem.

You're dodging the point, not making one. By your own admission, you've been confronted with more assaults than I have. I'm still betting you'd prefer to have a gun than defend yourself hand-to-hand against a knife attack, but I guess we'll never get a direct respose from you. Just a bunch of more stuff about how I'm paranoid, frightened, and delusional...because I carry a gun. :?

Maybe it's just a preparedness thing that you don't get or can't identify with. It probably wouldn't surprise you, but I am the type of guy who never leaves home without a multi-tool, a knife of some sort, at least two sources of light, and a way to start fire. I'm also primarily responsible for our company's emergency management and business continuity plans, so preparedness is just part of my every day life. And to me, carrying a gun is just an extension of being prepared.

Ed

Partner tradman

Jun 29, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #142 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
By your own admission, you've been confronted with more assaults than I have. I'm still betting you'd prefer to have a gun than defend yourself hand-to-hand against a knife attack, but I guess we'll never get a direct respose from you.

What would I want a gun for? To kill someone who attacks me with a knife? I'd rather run away. Or talk him out of it. Or distract him while somoene else restrains him. Or get someone else to knock him out. Or disarm him. Or anything AT ALL except killing him.

On a practical level, a gun turns you into a one-trick pony who is only able to deal with the extremely limited set of circumstances in which a gun is a useful weapon.

To be honest, I simply have little interest in guns. I can use one competently enough, but of all the stupid scrapes I've got myself, I could only think of maybe two where a gun would've been any use.

But that's academic. Know why? Because the imaginary knife-wielding maniac who you think's going to attack me DOESN'T EXIST.

In reply to:
stuff about how I'm paranoid, frightened, and delusional...because I carry a gun.

No, ed. I don't think you're delusional because you carry a gun. I think you're delusional because you carry a gun to obssessively prepare for imaginary threats which frighten you to the point where you're willing to kill someone, but which will never, ever happen.

epic_ed

Jun 29, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #143 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep -- that's me. Finger's on the trigger right now, just a twitchin'. I certainly don't expect to, nor want to, change your opinion about whether you would want to carry a gun. I had hoped to convince you that people like me aren't frightened, hysterical, paranoid neurotics who go around planning for when and where we can use our guns. But you're as entrenched as possible and it isn't worth it to continue. I guess I really couldn't give a damn what you think about me, but based on other disagreements we've had I thought you might be a little more open-minded and give me the benefit of the doubt.

Like I've explained -- carrying a gun most definitely doesn't make you a one-trick pony. It doesn't make me trigger happy, and it's most definitely not the only resource I have available to use to resolve a conflict. Actually, it's the last option when all others have failed. Fortunately, all others have worked upt to this point. I've even tried to highlight -- with a real world example -- where I wouldn't have draw my weapon even in a situation where I was confronted with the potential for severe harm. But, you're choosing to selectively ignore those comments and continue to insist that I'm a frightened, trigger-happy cowboy. That's your fantasy, and it's completely contrived. Keep believing it if you wish.

Ed

boondock_saint

Jun 29, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #144 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I certainly don't expect to, nor want to, change your opinion about whether you would want to carry a gun. I had hoped to convince you that people like me aren't frightened, hysterical, paranoid neurotics who go around planning for when and where we can use our guns.

Well it doesn't matter what you hoped for. All your posts do make it sound like you're just waiting for someone to attack. Unless you're african american or hispanic and have in income of 20,000 or less and live in a very poor area you're chances of that kind of confrontation are very very slim. So I would say you're pretty delusional with your rationale for why you need to carry a gun, but I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't have to justify it.

So, if you think you need one, carry one, just don't try to justify it, because you're making youself sound like a paranoid gun-toting moron.

reno

Jun 29, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #145 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well it doesn't matter what you hoped for. All your posts do make it sound like you're just waiting for someone to attack.

Not really. It's possible that you can only read his posts as such, but to others, he certainly doesn't sound that way.

In reply to:
Unless you're african american or hispanic and have in income of 20,000 or less and live in a very poor area you're chances of that kind of confrontation are very very slim.

So is it then your position that only African Americans or Hispanics or poor people are victims of violent crime?

In reply to:
So I would say you're pretty delusional with your rationale for why you need to carry a gun, but I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't have to justify it.

So, if you think you need one, carry one, just don't try to justify it, because you're making youself sound like a paranoid gun-toting moron.

You ought to work on having a more open viewpoint. Being closed minded and having preconcieved opinions is not healthy.

epic_ed

Jun 29, 2006, 6:26 PM
Post #146 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...a paranoid gun-toting moron.

I'm definitely going to make this my new signature. Excellent.

boondock_saint

Jun 29, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #147 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well it doesn't matter what you hoped for. All your posts do make it sound like you're just waiting for someone to attack.

Not really. It's possible that you can only read his posts as such, but to others, he certainly doesn't sound that way.

In reply to:
Unless you're african american or hispanic and have in income of 20,000 or less and live in a very poor area you're chances of that kind of confrontation are very very slim.

So is it then your position that only African Americans or Hispanics or poor people are victims of violent crime?

In reply to:
So I would say you're pretty delusional with your rationale for why you need to carry a gun, but I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't have to justify it.

You ought to work on having a more open viewpoint. Being closed minded and having preconcieved opinions is not healthy.

I'm not gonna do the fancy quote & paste.

1. I don't think it's just my view.

2. Not my position. It's the position of the DOJ crime stats.

3. I think saying you're free to do what you want is as open as you can get. All I'm saying is quit trying to make people agree with your (or his rather) point.

thorne
Deleted

Jun 29, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #148 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

According to the DOJ's statistics for "Violent crime victims"
In reply to:
In 2004--
Per every 1,000 persons in that racial group, 26 blacks, 21 whites and 13 persons of other races sustained a violent crime.

Black and white persons experienced similar rates of simple assault.

Black, white, and other races experienced about the same rates of rape/sexual assault.

In reply to:
Hispanic persons age 12 or older experienced 11% of all violent crime and made up 13% of the population.

Also, families with incomes under $7500 were twice as likely the rest of the population.

So, there's no difference between whites and hispanics, regarding violent crime victims, and extremely poor people are twice as likely to as the rest of the population to be victims of violent crimes.

You still want to go with "you're chances of that kind of confrontation are very very slim"?

boondock_saint

Jun 29, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #149 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol epic. nice sig.

anywho ... this is kinda similar to the conversations you can get into with billy bob Joe in Hillbilly county, MO. They are terrified of terrorist attacks and think we need to give Bush 8 more years to combat terrorism. If you ask 'em weather they think any terrorist in the world is even aware that hilliblyville, MO exists, or if you ask them what targets hillbillyville, MO has that anyone would want to attack, they give you a dumb stare? Well them a-rabs are all terrorists just waitin' for their chance to blow up all the imporant structures in hillbillyville, MO like Ike's liquor,beer,tobacco & guns store.

Now it's great that the good people or Hillbillyville, MO are patriotic and it's true, terrorism does exist! But not in their neck of the woods. The closest they'll ever get to it is Fox News ....

Partner tradman

Jun 30, 2006, 9:02 AM
Post #150 of 211 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had hoped to convince you that people like me aren't frightened, hysterical, paranoid neurotics who go around planning for when and where we can use our guns.

Well you failed dismally.

To be honest I think you mostly failed in the parts where you kept on about your endless planning and the parts where you kept on about using your gun.

Oh yeah and in your almost endless recital of all the imaginary situations which terrify you so much that you have to carry a gun.

And in your psychotic assertion that you've been a victim of crime twice before, but never again because now you have a gun.

Well, anyway. Like I said, your imaginary solution - fantasising that you'll save all us non-gun carrying folks with your heroics - is ideal for you because your problem is imaginary.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook