Jul 7, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #176 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Re: wHY WE NEED TO CARRY FIREARMS.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If it's truely a safe place, then people who are trained how to use and be responsable for a weapon who are not criminals will not make the place any less safe.

that is not true imho.

if you implemented a more libelar gun legalislation (at least here) that would mean more guns in most homes. and that would mean...

the main criminal cause of death here is family homocide/suicide. that usually means that a drunk man comes home and either strangles hes partner and then hangs himself or hes partner stabs him. at least thats so with most of the cases where it comes to death/serious injury. sometimes the kinds bite the dust too. and in most cases, the police comes quickly enough to prevent the violence from escalating beyond control.

now put a gun in that situation. the man gets home, is totally pissed and instead of starting to threatend with beating and then beating and so on hes partner, he starts threatening with a gun. and before the police arrive he shoots hes spouse. and, you wont believe it, thats what actually happened in three such cases that i remember (one was a police officer and the other two were hunters).

and even when used for self defence (say on a street) they would probably just make things worse. now the worst thing that can happen to you is getting beat up a bit (even knives and sticks are EXTREMELY rare in a street robbery) and that can easily be avoided in most cases. but as soon as ppl would start carrying guns, you can bet that the punks (the most street crime in slovenia is due to the yougster who have nothing better to do) would too and you can bet that that would mean a serious escalation in violence, maybe even to the point where they would stop asking for the money and just shot you and ask later.

mental experiment. ban guns. what happens?? all the law abiding citzens turn in their guns. Now you not only have only armed criminals, but you end up with eventually outlawing knives and having knife crime problems (UK right now). I'm waiting for the story about cricket bat crime :)

Do the criminals turn in their guns? if you didn't turn in your weapon at home and use it to defend your family if your house is broken into, are you prepared to face charges of illegal possesion of a firearm?

rhaig

Jul 7, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #177 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Those stats are part of the yearly official criminal statistic, published by the German police. If any source is reliable then this one. I could go on translating tables, put them into excel, jpg them and upload them to my homepage - it wouldn't matter to you anyway, so I abstain.
don't get your panties in a wad, I wasn't saying you were lying. Nor implying that the police are misreporting stats.

I was implying that people (many people) select statistics from the broad spectrum of available stats in order to support their position.

Partner tisar

Jul 7, 2006, 5:57 PM
Post #178 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
don't get your panties in a wad, I wasn't saying you were lying. Nor implying that the police are misreporting stats.

I was implying that people (many people) select statistics from the broad spectrum of available stats in order to support their position.

Naaah. I'm just aware of the fact that we live in two different cultures. Whatever I feel about 'my' world isn't necessarily be true in yours. I guess we both lack the experience of living in each others country (though I know a lot of Americans I've never been to the US), a final statement has to consider both sides.

That said, a lot of Americans who were in Europe for some time learned to appreciate the fact that it's pretty uncommon to face a barrel - in any way. Just be it the police officer who won't shoot you when you move your hands too fast - cause he knows you aren't fire armed.

And in the end: If you really are that unlucky to get involved in a robbery: a guy with a gun, who knows for absolutely sure you are unarmed, has no cause whatsoever to hurt you. Give him the fucking wallet and go away with a story to tell your grandchildren...

- Daniel

alx

Jul 7, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #179 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason violence and crime of any kind is so rare in the USA is because of our easy access to firearms. This is also why Americans are so much less fearful that the poor wretches in other less enlightened lands. If only everyone everywhere had to carry a firearm at all times..there would be absolutely no violence anywhere. Ahhhh...world peace.

Wait a minute. Lets give every country nukes and ICBMs to carry them. There'll be no more war. Who wants to sign a petition?

boondock_saint

Jul 7, 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #180 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Naaah. I'm just aware of the fact that we live in two different cultures. Whatever I feel about 'my' world isn't necessarily be true in yours. I guess we both lack the experience of living in each others country (though I know a lot of Americans I've never been to the US), a final statement has to consider both sides.

That said, a lot of Americans who were in Europe for some time learned to appreciate the fact that it's pretty uncommon to face a barrel - in any way. Just be it the police officer who won't shoot you when you move your hands too fast - cause he knows you aren't fire armed.

And in the end: If you really are that unlucky to get involved in a robbery: a guy with a gun, who knows for absolutely sure you are unarmed, has no cause whatsoever to hurt you. Give him the f---ing wallet and go away with a story to tell your grandchildren...

- Daniel

Well I have lived in both places and I lived through a war on top of that.

My opinion: guns are bad. they are part of the problem and almost never part of the solution.

I also know that people can be perfectly reasonable with guns, but I do suspect that many still dream of the old West.

In Germany it works without guns. Here it's a birthright for some, and it just doesn't work without guns. Not sure anything could be done to change it.

overlord

Jul 7, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #181 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
mental experiment. ban guns. what happens?? all the law abiding citzens turn in their guns. Now you not only have only armed criminals, but you end up with eventually outlawing knives and having knife crime problems (UK right now). I'm waiting for the story about cricket bat crime :)

Do the criminals turn in their guns? if you didn't turn in your weapon at home and use it to defend your family if your house is broken into, are you prepared to face charges of illegal possesion of a firearm?

you didnt really READ my post did you???

it wasnt about banning guns in USA (which i think would be a bad idea) but about your idea of more guns equals less crime in every country. i was just illustrating why this wouldnt work like you believe it would.

as a matter of fact, i dont believe that your statement (more guns=less crime) holds true even for the USA.

boondock_saint

Jul 7, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #182 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
as a matter of fact, i dont believe that your statement (more guns=less crime) holds true even for the USA.

it doesn't, but this country is a bit beyond the point of no return in that sense.

dangle

Jul 7, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #183 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
The police and the government are perfectly able to protect the people...

Somehow hearing that from somebody in Germany doesn't entirely reassure me...

And that's exactly why?

Wasn't there a ban on private ownership of firearms instituted by Adolph Hitler in Germany in 1932?

Good move guys, THAT really cut down on violence....

Giving up your guns is foolish!

reno

Jul 8, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #184 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dont believe that your statement (more guns=less crime) holds true even for the USA.

It certainly did in Kennesaw, GA.

billcoe_

Jul 8, 2006, 3:31 AM
Post #185 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Wasn't there a ban on private ownership of firearms instituted by Adolph Hitler in Germany in 1932?

Yes, followed shortly there after by more crazy shit than you can shake a stick at.

The Warsaw uprising is still remembered as supporting evidence too - 63 days of armed struggle by a misfed and underarmed (relatively) small group of civilians is still remembered as a remarkable struggle against tyranny. Very similar in that sense to how our country started as well.

In the end, maybe it boils down to who do you truly trust. If you trust the politicians, you don't need guns since you can always ultimatly trust them to do the right thing in yours and mine interest.

I do not trust them, although I think many are fine people. I trust my countrymen and all the people I know and see daily first and foremost. That means all of you, long before I'd trust all the politicians.

But thats me. I want you to have the right to get a weapon if you want one....for any reason: based on that single statement/idea alone.

billcoe_

Jul 8, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #186 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes, followed shortly there after by more crazy shit than you can shake a stick at.

The Warsaw uprising is still remembered as supporting evidence too - 63 days of armed struggle by a misfed and underarmed (relatively) small group of civilians is still remembered as a remarkable struggle against tyranny. Very similar in that sense to how our country started as well.

In the end, maybe it boils down to who do you truly trust. If you trust the politicians, you don't need guns since you can always ultimatly trust them to do the right thing in yours and mine interest.

I do not trust them, although I think many are fine people. I trust my countrymen and all the people I know and see daily first and foremost. That means all of you, long before I'd trust all the politicians.

But thats me. I want you to have the right to get a weapon if you want one....for any reason: based on that single statement/idea alone.

Partner tisar

Jul 9, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #187 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's why we put a ban on Hitlers after '45. Much more efficient...

Unfortunatly there's no ban on flawed arguments useing random facts of the Nazi time to underline dubious points. :roll:

- Daniel

the_iceman

Jul 9, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #188 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Unfortunatly there's no ban on flawed arguments useing random facts of the Nazi time to underline dubious points. :roll:

- Daniel

Wherin lies the flaw of that fact? Is the flaw that it doesn't support your opinion? Hitler isn't the only example of how gun control works, Stalin was also a big fan. The Hutus also disarmed the Tootsies to the point that they were later able to come in and massacar thousands using machet'es even though the Hutus were armed to the teeth with military weapons, they virtually never had to fire a shot. Yup gun control works alright.

BTW that was in Rawanda in 1994 incase any of you don't remember...

overlord

Jul 9, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #189 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys just dont get it, do you?

weve long stopped debating if banning guns in the USA would ba a good idea or not. thats not the cese me and tisar are arguing.

what tisar and i are trying to tell you that more guns doesnt equal less crime. we illustrated two cases where this holds true and i suspect it holds true even for the USA (even though new restrictive legalislation might have a really negative outcome, it doenst mean that more liberal legalislation would neccessary have a positive one). is that so hard to see or do we really need to draw a picture??

and i wouldnt take kenneshaw, georgia, for a statistically valid sample. its like sayig that because a girl ate chocolate and get rid of her zits, eating chocolate works wonders for your skin.

and the funny thing is... not one of you has come up with a valid argument why more guns=less crime in every country. and present and past dictatorships are not it.

kubi

Jul 9, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #190 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

- Daniel

Wherin lies the flaw of that fact? Is the flaw that it doesn't support your opinion? Hitler isn't the only example of how gun control works, Stalin was also a big fan. The Hutus also disarmed the Tootsies to the point that they were later able to come in and massacar thousands using machet'es even though the Hutus were armed to the teeth with military weapons, they virtually never had to fire a shot. Yup gun control works alright.

BTW that was in Rawanda in 1994 incase any of you don't remember...

The flaw in your argument is that you use the the fact that Hitler and Stalin were pro-gun control as proof that gun control is bad. Hitler was also a big fan of dogs, does that mean dogs are evil? Your argument means nothing.

reno

Jul 9, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #191 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and i wouldnt take kenneshaw, georgia, for a statistically valid sample.

Why not?

2003 Estimated population was 25,816. 48.9% male, 51.1% female. (National: 49.1, 50.9, respectively.)

42% aged 25-44. (National: 30.2)

Median income: Around $60,000 (2000 census.)

10% African-American. (National: 13.4%)

The few statistics that really stray vastly from the national norms is this:

6% Hispanic/Latino. (National: 12%.)

And this:

The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 23. The number of murders and homicides was 1. The violent crime rate was 0.9 per 1,000 people. (National: 4.65 violent offenses per 1000.)

Oh, yeah... this, too:

Received national attention for 1982 ordinance requiring each household to have a gun and ammunition.

Now, I'm not so sure we're willing to blame the lack of violence on the low percentage of Latinos, are we? ;)

rhaig

Jul 10, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #192 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you guys just dont get it, do you?

weve long stopped debating if banning guns in the USA would ba a good idea or not. thats not the cese me and tisar are arguing.

what tisar and i are trying to tell you that more guns doesnt equal less crime. we illustrated two cases where this holds true and i suspect it holds true even for the USA (even though new restrictive legalislation might have a really negative outcome, it doenst mean that more liberal legalislation would neccessary have a positive one). is that so hard to see or do we really need to draw a picture??

and i wouldnt take kenneshaw, georgia, for a statistically valid sample. its like sayig that because a girl ate chocolate and get rid of her zits, eating chocolate works wonders for your skin.

and the funny thing is... not one of you has come up with a valid argument why more guns=less crime in every country. and present and past dictatorships are not it.

1. I've always discussed this thinking about the US only. That makes the ugly American I guess. Deal with it.

2. while I have mentioned that a concealed carry permit law can act as a deterrent, I have not argued that we should have more guns.

3. Kenneshaw... statistics... read my earlier comments on statistics...

4. I will be happy to discuss that banning guns anywhere in the US (or everywhere) will not lead to less violent crime. not "less guns" == "more gun crime", but "gun ban" != "less violent crime."

zozo

Jul 10, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #193 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why not?

2003 Estimated population was 25,816. 48.9% male, 51.1% female. (National: 49.1, 50.9, respectively.)

And this:

The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 23. The number of murders and homicides was 1. The violent crime rate was 0.9 per 1,000 people. (National: 4.65 violent offenses per 1000.)

Oh, yeah... this, too:

Received national attention for 1982 ordinance requiring each household to have a gun and ammunition.

Now, I'm not so sure we're willing to blame the lack of violence on the low percentage of Latinos, are we? ;)

Where did this info come from?

overlord

Jul 10, 2006, 8:49 AM
Post #194 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why not?

because even if it is "average" in some categories, that does not make it a statistically valid sample. read something about sampling. this SHOULD fall into the "cluster sample" category, which IS a probability sample (and thus you can make assumpitons based on it about the population), but it is not. it is a convenience sample (which is a non-probability sample), which means that you selected it because it was convenient and so the finding from it cannot be the basis for assumptions about the populace with any degree of statistical certainty.

not to mention that you also lack the causal connection. was the change in 1982 the reason for the results in 2003? or did the have a low crime rate before that? is the crime rate totally unrelated to the change (and a result of some other fact, like the type of popullation, low unemploymen, high education level etc.)?

In reply to:
I've always discussed this thinking about the US only. That makes the ugly American I guess. Deal with it.

maybe you have. but our most recent argument was not about US, it was about the claim someone made that more guns equals less crime holding true for every country in the world. and while "every country in the world" does include the US, it is not US.

In reply to:
I will be happy to discuss that banning guns anywhere in the US (or everywhere) will not lead to less violent crime.

i believe it holds true for the US, but i have no idea if it holds true for every country. and i would think that "anywhere" would be a better term for such arguments because its utopic to think anyone can actually impose something everywhere :wink:

reno

Jul 10, 2006, 1:35 PM
Post #195 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Where does most census data come from, big guy? ;)

the_iceman

Jul 10, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #196 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Where does most census data come from, big guy? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kubi

Jul 11, 2006, 3:10 AM
Post #197 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why not?

And this:

Oh, yeah... this, too:

This has a lot of potential. The two big things I'd want to know before I'm convinced: 1) How has the violent crime rate changed since the 1982 ordinance took effect? 2) How have the accidental gun injury rates changed since then?

but otherwise, good find!

rhaig

Jul 11, 2006, 3:55 AM
Post #198 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Why not?

And this:

Oh, yeah... this, too:

This has a lot of potential. The two big things I'd want to know before I'm convinced: 1) How has the violent crime rate changed since the 1982 ordinance took effect? 2) How have the accidental gun injury rates changed since then?

but otherwise, good find!

http://www.gunowners.org/op0367.htm has some implications regarding accidents, though no stats and one could argue that it's not an objective source.

http://kennesaw.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm is 2004 stats (no accident rates)

http://publicrights.org/...saw/NewsMax2001.html lists some stats pre and post Kennesaw gun ordinance. (their crime rate went down) Also howeve, could be argued that it's not objective.

http://publicrights.org/...saw/NewsMax2001.html mentions there had been no accidental shootings as of 1994. (date of the article)

http://www.worldnewsstand.net/2001/TwoCities.htm mentions some more details of the kennesaw ordinance. It also mentions that there have been no children injured in a firearm accident since 1982.

http://www.stamey.nu/...ts/GunsInAmerica.htm mentions two murders in kennesaw since the gun ordinance. Both comitted with knives. This page has several other anti-gun control bullet-points (pun intended) with a listing of references at the bottom (the only reason I'm listing it here). Consider that it might be argued to be not objective.

so to answer your two questions, the violent crime rate went down rapidly, and the accidental injury rate is low. (no stats found on pre-ordinance accident rates)

In several of the articles, the question comes up if this type of ordinance would work elsewhere. The answer is always "I don't know, but it's worked here." (or something similar)

my opinion: A kennesaw style law (exceptions for certain people and no punishment for non-compliance) would reduce violent crime and accidental shooting rates where it would be possible to maintain training such as the kennesaw police department did (providing free training to those who wanted it). This would not be possible in large cities, or even medium sized cities.

(note: though I mentioned some sites may be argued to be non ojbective, that does not mean they are distorting facts)

kubi

Jul 11, 2006, 4:45 AM
Post #199 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the links. Honestly I'm not even going to bother reading any articles without good citations and statistics....this is just too touchy a subject. (take the first one, for example, "no homicides in 2001"....well what about 2000 and 2002?).

uh. All those stories compare Kennesaw in 1981 with Kennesaw in 1999....17 years after the law went into effect. Crime rate nationally dropped in those years, and crime in Atlanta very well may have dropped then, too (can't find any good statistics).

The skeptic in me thinks that the statistics I want to see (compare 1981 to 1982) are never cited because they don't support the pro-gun lobby.

rhaig

Jul 11, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #200 of 211 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the links. Honestly I'm not even going to bother reading any articles without good citations and statistics....this is just too touchy a subject. (take the first one, for example, "no homicides in 2001"....well what about 2000 and 2002?).

uh. All those stories compare Kennesaw in 1981 with Kennesaw in 1999....17 years after the law went into effect. Crime rate nationally dropped in those years, and crime in Atlanta very well may have dropped then, too (can't find any good statistics).

The skeptic in me thinks that the statistics I want to see (compare 1981 to 1982) are never cited because they don't support the pro-gun lobby.

that's what I always hear the gun control lobby say, but they don't present cited stats the other way either. stalemate as long as they don't read each others articles without "good citations".

I don't know where the '81 and '82 stats are. All I know is crime there is low. very low. lower than it used to be (-89% in the 6 months following the passage of the ordinance in one of the articles you didn't read).

the article with the 99 stats was written in 01 if memory serves. that's likely why they were using 99 stats, but the sceptic finds other possible reasons (weren't we called gun totin rednecks for dreaming up reasons? :) )

anyway... I stated my opinion, that's all it is. Kennesaw is an interesting topic, but by no means conclusive evidence. Even if all the stats published about it are true.

find me some pro-guncontrol stats from kennesaw. I looked for them, couldn't find any. I like to compare both sets of liars. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook