Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wings

Jul 12, 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #26 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
whoa, you guys carry some stupid huge packs.

Got to agree here. I currently use a Deuter Guide 35+ and I think it's too big. Ideally, you only have 1 pack between the two climbers, and that pack can hold 2 rain jackets, 2 pairs of descent shoes, 2 headlamps, food and water (for 2 people), and a first aid kit. Put on your harness and rack up at the car, coil the rope and sling it around your shoulder. 35L is overkill in my opinion.

- Seyil

svilnit

Jul 12, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #27 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
whoa, you guys carry some stupid huge packs.

for trad climbing, you just simply don't needs packs that big!!

you need something big enough to hold all the gear, a rain jacket, some snacks and water. it then needs to pack down small enough that you can comfortably lead with it on.

the recomendation for the rei talus 35 above is a good one. thats what my partner carries, but even that i find a bit big for 90% of what we do. though its nice for one of us to have a slightly larger pack for when we plan to bivy. it compresses down very well after you pull the trad toys out of it.

i use a north face spire 30, its a 1800 cu in pack that weighs under 2lbs (trimmed down from the factory 2lbs 8 oz). on a day trip i can easily carry double cams, double stoppers, draws, harness, ect, rope, snacks, a couple of beers, 3l of water in a bladder, precip jacket, helmet, headlamp, and it carries like nothing is there.

when we plan to bivy between my partner and i can carry the full rack, lead rope, tag line, bivy gear, jetboil, extra water, food, a couple of beers even, tons of snacks, radios, extra clothes, crampons, ice axe.

i mean, what the heck do you guys need these big packs for??? we manage to bring everything AND the kitchen sink with a 35l pack and a 30l pack.

I think my problem was that I was trying to carry ALL of my gear, I'm just going to narrow it down to what I am going to need for that particular climb... PS - I tried just throwing the sling in with the rack on it. Doesn't work for me. I still like how the Kelty Origami has all the internal daisy chains to organize the stuff :D

nrgroscoe

Jul 12, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #28 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the mountain hardwear Sortie or trance...

billcoe_

Jul 13, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #29 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Origami barely has enough room for 2 dog turds and 10 quickdraws. It is a great concept which was too small to be used for anything climbing related including toproping.

I own one, my awesome wife gifted it to me.

The Fish is slightly larger, but has 1 main hole for everything (except a tiny zipper pocket for keys). So it's too small as well.

I find myself using a North Face that is similar in size and split in 2 like the Deuter. (my awesome wife gifted it as well).

Or I use my ratty old Millet, or my wife's less beat up Millet, both of which must be like 40L.

svilnit

Jul 13, 2006, 9:11 AM
Post #30 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Origami barely has enough room for 2 dog turds and 10 quickdraws. It is a great concept which was too small to be used for anything climbing related including toproping.

I own one, my awesome wife gifted it to me.

The Fish is slightly larger, but has 1 main hole for everything (except a tiny zipper pocket for keys). So it's too small as well.

I find myself using a North Face that is similar in size and split in 2 like the Deuter. (my awesome wife gifted it as well).

Or I use my ratty old Millet, or my wife's less beat up Millet, both of which must be like 40L.

But I do like how you can organize equipment on the inside of the Origami... if you don't want yours.. ;)

I have 7 cams, 4 tricams, 2 sets of nuts, hexes...all stuffed TIGHTLY in there right now :(

hearn

Jul 13, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #31 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can find the Osprey Vertigo, definitly get it. The Exposure series looks very similiar. I've been love with mine for years.

sonknee

Jul 14, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #32 of 32 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The pack I am currently using is the Osprey Atmos 50. It has an awesome suspension system, very comfy, it has a stretch nylon material which swallows my huge rope bag, 18 or so draws, two harnesses, and a jacket and whatever else I decide to carry. The best thing I like about the pack is it has lots and lots of outer pockets, which I store food, sunscreen, and other random stuff.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/...cinderconered_xl.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook