Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

herre

Jul 7, 2006, 1:03 PM
Post #1 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Photography good enough for publishing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey!

I just got back from an expedition in the Cordillera Apolobamba, Bolivia, where I climbed with 2 friends on Chaupi Orco (first belgian ascent) and Ascarani (new route). I made lots of pictures with my D50, and I've put a selection of 39 images online:

http://www.hermandesmet.be/pictures/bolivia

I was wondering: some people told me I should get in touch with some climbing/adventure/trekking magazines to get my work published. I don't really know about that. I feel honoured of course, but my english is bad, and -as I feel- my photo's aren't that good to be published in magazines like Climbing, Alpinist, Vertical, Grimper or Montagnes Magazines.

What do you guys (people who don't know me and therefore have the guts to say what they really feel) think about it ?

And - 0.02% chance - if indeed good enough to give it a try, which magazines should I contact, and how? Just a mail? A portfolio in PDF ?

Kind regards,
Herman.

dleighto

Jul 7, 2006, 1:21 PM
Post #2 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Re: Photography good enough for publishing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are some really nice pictures, it looks like it was an awesome trip. I have no idea how to judge magazine quality, but I am sure that submitting them couldn't hurt.

tarzan420

Jul 7, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #3 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - nice shots.

From the 3 mags that I know (R&I, Climbing, Alpinist), it seems like this would fit best in Alpinist.

Now, I don't know anything about submitting photos to a mag, but from my POV, it couldn't really hurt. The only problem I see (w/ just submitting pics), is that on their own, none of the climbing pics are real dynamic (w/ exceptin of the B/w one with the rope across the center - that one's great!!! maybe save that for climbing's photo contest?), and none of the lifestyle pics really say "Climbing". If you had a narrative to go along, it'd be much better, IMO.

Good Luck!

deltav

Jul 7, 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #4 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing pictures, can't hurt to give it a try and send some in. I agree, R&I or Alpinist are your best choices.

braaaaaaaadley

Jul 7, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #5 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are a nice group of photo's. If the climbing mags don't like your pics, then if I were you, I would go a different route. I am sure that you could convince an advertiser to use your pics for a magazine ad. Also you could prob. submit your photo's to a trekking magazine as there are a lot of photos that would fall in that category as well. Good luck with your endeavor!!

alpie

Jul 7, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #6 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These would fit National Geopgraphic Adventure well.

You can also try submitting photos to companies, especially those whos equipment you are using.

cam

Jul 7, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #7 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend, you underestimate both your photographic skills and your grasp of english. Your photos are just as good if not better than some of the shots we see in publications like Climbing and even National Geographic. Start submitting photos to any publication your feel comfortable having your work in.

Contact them by email or by phone (there is usually a list of the production staff somewhere within the first few pages and should contain the photo editors name and contact info) ask what submission format is best for each individual editor and make a list. Submit your work in the specified format and don't be discouraged if you don't hear back right away. Photo editors receive many, many submissions regularly and often will keep images on file for future use.

Submit often, and soon your name will become familiar to the editors, they will see that you are the real deal and not just a one hit wonder and sooner or later an image of yours will be just the thing they are looking for. Its a long process and it's not easy. Waiting takes a lot of patience but it will pay off.

Cheers,
Mike.

pdx_climber

Jul 7, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was asking myself a similar question recently and I decided to contact the editor of Urban Climber about photo submissions. He emailed me the guidelines for submissions, and 3 days later after sending one of my recent favorites in to him he got back to me saying he'd put it in the gallery section of the magazine in an upcoming issue.

It never hurts to ask. I'm still a tad insecure about my photographic skills (it's one thing when your friends and parents say "Ooooh, great picures", but having the confidence that they actually are good is something else entirely...), but it was a great boost to my confidence to hear a magazine editor ask for more!

You have good skills, and I'm sure there's a market for those shots. Just ask around! It never hurts to ask, and I never would have thought that my first attempt would land a picture in publication (time to set my sights higher! :)).

sloclimber

Jul 7, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #9 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well you certainly have some great shots in there mate.

I can only suggest that you just send em in and see what comes of it.

c4c

Jul 7, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some great pics. An editor can fix your english -thats their job. Go for it! Alpinist is the best bet.

devils_advocate

Jul 7, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #11 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are some great pics... captures the adventure. The only way you'd ever hear anything bad about them is if you submitted them to rc.com for critic review. I don't know if any of those would get rated higher than a 3.

tb69hikeclimb

Jul 7, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those are some great pics! you should make every effort to have them published! at the very least keep posting them for us to enjoy.

but I would edit out the really ugly dudes in the tent! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mic

Jul 7, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #13 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very very good work.I`m looking as well for a publisher for some backpacking photographs.Your`s rock dude. go on.
Was as well in Bolivia, so ur pics look familiar to me :)

socalbolter

Jul 7, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #14 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

# 21 was my favorite. Maybe contact the tent manufacturer and see if they would like to use it somehow.

Good luck!

herre

Jul 8, 2006, 7:47 AM
Post #15 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys,

Many thanks for your replies, i've read some very good tips!

About the tent manufacturer on slide 21: it's a VE25 from The North Face and it seems to me they are impossible to contact (no email addresses on their websites).

I think I'm gonna put some pictures (like 5-10) in a portofolio in PDF-format and then send it to some magazines like mentioned above... I'll keep you informed on what happens next...

Herman

herre

Jul 10, 2006, 8:16 AM
Post #16 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've send the portfolio to a few magazines.

Only 1 answer so far: National Geographic (you've got to aim high):

"Sorry, not interested. Kindly Regards". :)

kevanrobitaille

Jul 17, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #17 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely. Im looking to get into freelancing myself...I don't quite understand how you submit your work if it's digital though. Im about to make a thread on the subject.

What kind of camera(s), lense(s) and other gear were you using? Those are some seriously crisp shots. Keep it up.

kevanrobitaille

Jul 17, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #18 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, read this website. It'll help you get an idea. Remember, not just magazines with climbing based content will be interested in your photographs. There are advertisements, and other publications aswell. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading_and_Self_Reliance/1977_March_April/You_Can_Make_Money_as_an_Outdoor_Photographer

dlintz

Jul 17, 2006, 8:30 PM
Post #19 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice. I like 10, 16, and 23 the best. Good luck!

d.

deepplaymedia

Jul 18, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #20 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Herre: I haven't had a look at your images yet so I can't comment on quality, but I'd recommend sending images to only 1 publication at a time: apart from being courteous to the photo editor, it eliminates the chance of multiple uses.
An excellent resource is www.wheelsandwax.com - if you look in the tutorials section, check out the Submission Tips by Colin Adair. Also do a search in the forums for related threads.

kevanrobitaille

Jul 18, 2006, 6:10 PM
Post #21 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^ What happens when you do send out multiples, and more than one company decides to publish it? Id assume they each call you back, and you just choose which one to turn down?

Partner j_ung

Jul 18, 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #22 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
^ What happens when you do send out multiples, and more than one company decides to publish it? Id assume they each call you back, and you just choose which one to turn down?

Some companies/publications won't purchase shots (or writing) that was published previously, but unless you sold sole rights to a picture, which should have netted you a big fat chunk of change, you can sell it over and over again to as many willing buyers as you can find.

kevinheiss

Jul 20, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #23 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your picture are nice pictures but most of them aren't what I would call magazine quality. You need to have pictures which are very well cpomposed, show the reader a different angle, something they don't usually see everyday.

You do have beautiful pictures which I feel would be quality pictures for a magaizne. the hard part is not taking excellent pictures but to have a magazine to accept them. Each magazine company have a different standard which you will have to ask them.

I would say you do for it, send them some of your pictures and see what they say.

Kevin

melekzek

Jul 20, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #24 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
something they don't usually see everyday.

and i though magazines only publish the same stuff over and over.... seriously, i saw more creative photogs here on this site. Not necessarily technically better, but more creative...

double

Jul 20, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #25 of 28 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your pictures are great, although I don't really see them being published without the story behind the trip. Maybe you could write up a trip report, have someone fix up the english, and try to submit it to climbing, r&i, alpinist, etc. Maybe even a travel magazine would be interested.

Nice work!

Bryan

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook