RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

monopocketmojo

Aug 5, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #1 of 4 (870 views)
Shortcut

north shore (MN) camping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know of camping locations for North Shore crags? I'm headed there this coming week...

nevenneve

Aug 5, 2006, 4:48 AM
Post #2 of 4 (870 views)
Shortcut

Re: north shore (MN) camping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you kidding? Most places you can't walk a mile in any direction without hitting one. Take the turnoff for Finland if you are climbing at Palisade or Shovel point (2 campgrounds). Try any(!) state park, walk-in sites on the Superior hiking trail, or find somewhere quiet and free. A cumpooteriised surch wercs tu.

chalkfree

Aug 5, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #3 of 4 (870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Free camping!!! I know I know!!!

Go to finland, take the second paved right hand road. Can't remember what the lable on it is, but it's not the one that says something about camping in a thousand feet.

On the left hand side of the road a few miles down is a lake county gravel pit accessed by a gravel road right after a state trailhead. It's a gravel road that goes uphill, it has a large white sign on a tree that says something about no shooting. Go up this road, go past the first level spot where the bonfires nd beer drinking have been and around the corner is the slickest little site ever.

PM me if you need more details, I might be able to get a road number for you..

jmeizis

Aug 5, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #4 of 4 (870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the love of God(s) make reservations. I went up there last weekend and there was some convention and every hotel, campsite, and anything except where I parked my car was full. You can camp at Tettegouche and Shovel Point is in the park and Palisade Head is down the road. Finland is a state forest and is a little bit farther off of 61 but it's cheaper than Tettegouche (no electric sites though). It's not free though, at least not when I was there last weekend. Eckbeck is another state forest camp is a ways farther past Finland but costs are the same and is less likely to be crowded. Farther south of Tettegouche is Gooseberry and some other ones. Look on the Minnesota DNR website and you can check out all the campgrounds and you can make reservations for anything that's reservable. Make sure the weather says there will be NO rain because the lake will take whatever little chance of rain their was supposed to be and turn it into a monsoon. Also keep an eye out for lake superior agates cuz they're neat. 8^) I think I'm gonna write a trip report about my last weekend.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook