Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

moabdirtgirl

Aug 12, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Litter bugs.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is to the jerks who were at bouldering at Big Bend in Moab on the evening of August 11th and left the crushed beer (Budweiser, *YUCK!!*) cans and cigarette butts all over... Your a**holes!

If you can't pack out what you pack in, stay home.

:x

Partner jammer

Aug 12, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #2 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: Litter bugs. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Give 'em HELL! I usually carry out more then I carry in. People love to talk Leave No Trace, but some obviously do not pratice it. Keep it up!

Sung to "I'm The Tax Man" ...

I'm the trash man, oh ... ohhh ... I'm the traaaassssshhh Maaaaaaaan.

phase_nine

Aug 13, 2006, 1:54 AM
Post #3 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I make it a point to leave stashes of plastic grocery bags in most of my daypacks and bouldering pads. Some places I go I end up with the bag overflowing it's so bad! I wish more people would try and pack out other people's garbage.....

Don't litter :o

S hit.

pendereki

Aug 13, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #4 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trophies to you all! I wish I could give a trophy to everyone who picks up someone else's trash. Yea good people!

CM

pappy

Aug 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #5 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in p-way i had to carry out some ones mc donalds trash haha

svilnit

Aug 17, 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #6 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pnoone and I picked up a ton (well, not really a ton, but quite a bit) of broken glass at sugarloaf last weekend. It was almost like an archaeological dig because some of the glass had obviously been there for quite a while. When was the last time you saw a coke bottle!

bozher

Aug 17, 2006, 1:54 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This should be a lesson to all of us. ALWAYS bring a bag with you to pack out trash. Is it so hard to pick up a bottle because it isn't ours? And I see so many corners of power bar wrappers. I know people didn't throw them away. They fell our of a pocket or pack. So realize that we all litter without knowing it sometimes. That is why it is imperative that we pick up anytime we go outside. It also goes along way with access issues. People are amazed when they see me stop to pick up a wrapper or a bottle on a trail or a crag. It's not hard to do and it is catchy! Besides, I don't know any other way to get rid of all those damn target bags!

sungam

Aug 17, 2006, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IN ravenscraig bouldering area, the main overhang used to be a major drug-user location. you have to check the sand (it's a beach) for syringes, broken glass, and condoms. my friend once shot off a climb after a hold snapped and landed about a foot from a syringe. scarey stuff.
Oh yeah, and the holds are often full of glass from people throwing bottles at the wall.
I hope you never have this problem in moab!

-Magnus

justthemaid

Aug 17, 2006, 2:21 PM
Post #9 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get me started.

I filled my entire backpack with (crushed) plastic water bottles alone at Malibu Creek last week.

Why are people such fucking slobs? You carried it in- you can carry it out. In fact it weighs less when you eat/drink it.

svilnit

Aug 17, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #10 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't get me started.

I filled my entire backpack with (crushed) plastic water bottles alone at Malibu Creek last week.

Why are people such f---ing slobs? You carried it in- you can carry it out. In fact it weighs less when you eat/drink it.

Well you are "justthemaid" ;)

justthemaid

Aug 17, 2006, 3:02 PM
Post #11 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...50px-French_maid.jpg

cosmiccragsman

Aug 17, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #12 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Justthemaid wrote:
In reply to:
Don't get me started.

Why are people such fucking slobs? You carried it in- you can carry it out. In fact it weighs less when you eat/drink it.

Maid, You forgot to tell them about the trash at Holcomb, that we picked up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...50px-French_maid.jpg

BTW Justthemaid is way prettier than this.^^^^
Just keep her away from the MAYO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cosmiccragsman

phojar

Aug 17, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #13 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The same for all you a-holes bouldering up in the Gold Bar, Wa. Don't leave your shit there just because the locals do. I'm so tired of picking up toothbrushes taped to sticks, sobe lean bottles and chalk block wrappers from other climbers. Just because the locals do that up there doesn't mean it is okay for you to do it also. Like many of the other people that have posted here I carry plastic bags with me and end up packing lots of trash out of areas I climb and hike in. It usually seems like once there is a little garbage in an area people are more likely to toss their trash out too, so instead of doing that pack it out and maybe others will stop dumping. That is private land (in case you didn't notice the big orange gate you had to drive to get to the upper boulders) and if you keep leaving garbage up there the company that owns that place will close the gate and/or dig a huge ditch across the road. I've seen this done before in other areas around Washington and once an area is closed it won't ever be opened again even if you pick up all the garbage. Oh and don't mess with the dirt bike riders up there either, maybe you don't like to see them up there but they aren't bothering the climbers and generally keep their distance from us so quit pulling logs across the dirt bike trails. All you'll do is piss them off then there will be a problem. Show some respect for the land and the other people that use the land, or stay in the gym :lol:. Sorry for the long post, this kind of stuff just pisses me off.

justthemaid

Aug 17, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #14 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Show some respect for the land and the other people that use the land, or stay in the gym :lol:. Sorry for the long post, this kind of stuff just pisses me off.

Inconsiderate slobs are just as bad indoors. I picked up and threw away about 10 water bottles at my gym the other day. :roll:

Let's start a vigilante group . We can douse perpetrators with hot glue and encrust their entire bodies with cliff bar wrappers and biner tags, to serve as an example to others.

phojar

Aug 17, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #15 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's start a vigilante group. We can douse perpetrators with hot glue and encrust their entire bodies with cliff bar wrappers and biner tags, to serve as an example to others.

I like it! A climbers version of tar and feathering! Can I be the first to join your vigilante group? :lol:

krusher4

Aug 17, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #16 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoy all the folks who are kind enough to pick up their dogs crap using a bright orange newspaper bag...but leave it on the trail!!!! please if you are going to do that just let your pup $hit in the woods and leave it.

artsylady567

Aug 17, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #17 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in spearfish,sd and some smartass left a pile rotting meat at the skeletal remains area. I hope they rot in hell.

moabdirtgirl

Aug 21, 2006, 2:07 AM
Post #18 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for everyones posts. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a short fuse when it comes to picking up other peoples trash. Doggie doo is a huge problem too; but the worst is, I've nearly stepped in a pile of human poo (T.P. and all) by the Big Bend boulders. :shock:

Yuck!

pilotpistolpete

Aug 23, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #19 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Up here, it seems kids like to tag boulders. Not only are their artistic skills horrible, but no one other than climbers see the boulders. It kinda defies the purpose.

sidepull

Aug 23, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #20 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It could be worse, your local bouldering area could be Beardsley, a place so vandalized and littered that even the boulders themselves are sad:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=21320

Honestly though, it's tough to find an area that is frequented by climbers that doesn't have cigarettes, beer shards, and dog poop as artifacts - and those that think this is part of the ethos need a good kick through the teeth. I love watching how flustered a guy gets when he's smoking between burns on a problem and you ask him, "you're not going to throw that butt on the ground are you?" Or if you ask a dog owner, "you'll pack out his poop right?" The look on their face reads - I never considered doing that.

pilotpistolpete

Aug 23, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #21 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I beleive these speak for themselves

http://www.freewebs.com/...pete2/IMG%5F0329.jpg

fobnicat

Aug 23, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #22 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was bouldering just the other day at a crap spot called shaking rock. Its the best we have near by... Anyways, I was just about to toss my pad down, when I noticed what looked like dried up chocolate pudding around the rock on the ground i was trying to cover.... After closer inspection, and maybe even a little sniff, I found that someone shat on the rock and the rain had washed it away and now it clung to the ground like, well, lets just say mud. what is worse, is that i stumbled across the TP laying on top of the ground just a few feet away... along with a ziploc bag labled "Ham." now COME ON!!! Who eats HAM! But more importantly, why not just recycle the ziploc bag and poop in a small hole and cover it up?

Pathetic.....

renohandjams

Aug 23, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #23 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to pig rock by pyramid lake in Nevada you'll cry. Most locals seem to use it as a free dump, and they love to take their old cars, or furniture out there and either blow it up or shoot it with shot guns. We've taken away trailer loads of trash, but their is always just as much next week.

Another thing that really makes me mad is Graffitti! On climbing rock! Has anyone else seen this! There is tons at pig rock, and I've been swimming in the Yuba river and there has been graffitti on the river cliffs. This reallly hurts access to these areas, and it makes me really mad. Anyone caught spray painting a climbing area with tags deserves to have a rock fall on their head.

renohandjams

Aug 23, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #24 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad rangers can't issue felonies for pooping and not covering it up, or tagging boulders. People like that don't deserve access at all. I can't imagine how anyone could ever think that was ok, I couldn't sleep at night if I knew I left a big nonbiodegradable zip lock baggie at a climbing area on purpose.

Dog poop has always bugged me. I went to snow shed yesterday at Donner, we were the only ones there in the morning, but there was dried dog poop everywhere! I was like it was a kennel or something. Pack up your dog poop, your poop, and trash. Leave it like you found it for others to enjoy.

Would you consider trying a citizens arrest on some kids you caught tagging your climbing area? You do have webbing and rope to restrain them until the ranger or police arrive.

bent_gate

Aug 23, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #25 of 26 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep extra plastic grocery bags in my packs as well. On the way in, I usually spot where the trash is, and on the way out, I biner a bag to the side of my pack and pick up what I can. I like to wait until the way out, because cans and other soaked junk leak all over the place.

I've picked up loads of trash out at Sugarloaf myself at the base of the cliffs in the woods. (fortunately I don't go there that often). I realized later that there was an overlook at the top and "Boy Scouts" and drunkards liked to throw things off. So I feel most of the really trashed areas are from select Hikers. I see riverside areas that frequently get trashed and it's by select fisherman and partying locals.

But I go to plenty of "climber-only" access areas that still have some trash. And I'm concerned about the trash that the climbing community is leaving behind. So here is some constructive suggestions (for those who may not think about it that often) :

-If your water bottle rolls into the woods at the bottom of a climb, go get it! (unless it's gonna put you in danger)
-If you must put tape on a stick to stickclip, remove all the tape before discarding the stick
-When pulling tape off of your fingers or hand, don't ball it up and toss it or leave in on the rocks. Put it in your pocket or pack.
-If you use sticky rack tags, like most people, then be ready to replace them before they completely come off your biners. One sliding rope or sling pulls these things right off if they are even a little bit loose, and I see them on the ground all the time. If you're gonna use em, buy extra, and be ready to maintain them. I've seen others use spray paint instead. I have used a "Metal Paint Marker" (that doesn't damage metal) from an art store. Especially good if you get paint in the grooves of a biner.

Just some suggestions, I make my share of mistakes too.

We spend so much time on this site arguing about "Climbing Ethics" and what is superior, yet trash that we run into from other climbers is never part of that. So if your gonna spray, why not start bragging about how much trash you pick up from crags. (Ladies, please tell the men on this site what you are more impressed by. This will definitely get their attention).

Kudos to all of you who have been picking up after others. I think of you as the real climbing community. (not some doofus who pulls a V7 and tosses his cig butt).

If you pick up other peoples trash, post your stories. People don't think about it much because they don't hear about it that often.

Ok, I'm done. We can all join hands and sing Kum Ba Yah now :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook