Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Questions About Red River Gorge
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

neekwan

Aug 23, 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Questions About Red River Gorge  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning to take a group (about 12) of family and friends to the Red soon. I myself have been there only twice and that being years ago. Most of the group has never climbed and a few can follow up to a 5.10.
Where is a good place to camp? I already know of Miguel's. I'm wondering if there is another place. I'm looking for a place that is somewhat secluded, not famous for break-ins and is within walking distance of a crag with plenty of easy sport routes.
I have a GPS unit so you can give me coordinates if you have them. I also have Ray Ellington's guide book as a reference. Also, I remember a lake or river near a road where there are cliffs to jump from. Can anybody tell me how to get there? Thanks.

bootlegger

Aug 23, 2006, 1:55 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: Questions About Red River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't really know of any campgrounds within walking distance of a crag, unless you rent a cabin at Torrent. You can "back country" camp anywhere on the national forest land, like near Military Wall or Left Flank, but you won't have running water, etc and you'll have to carry your stuff in.

The state forest campgrounds at Whittleton or Koomer Ridge are okay (Whittleton is about a quarter mile from Miguel's). Lago Linda campground is also well regarded, but I haven't stayed there myself.

There's also several places to rent cabins (Torrent, Red River Outdoors) and a climber friendly hostel (True North).

scsmit10

Aug 23, 2006, 2:22 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a boulder on the north side of the Red River. It is easy to scramble to the top and hurdle off 25 feet into the water... be careful, try to swim down first to test the depth. I jumped from there many times safely in late June... To get there, drive about 1 mile west from the one lane concrete bridge on the east side. You will see two large boulders on your left by a dirt parking area with room for 3 or 4 vehicles.

Many great moderate sport routes are located in the lower gorge area around roads 9a. Check out Muscle Beach, Purple Valley, Indian Creek and revel in relative seclusion. There are many places to camp there. The Military Wall / Left Flank areas offer many places to camp nearby and is a beautiful area between there and Gray's Arch. Climb early to beat the heat and the crowds there. Have a nice trip!

montentcontent

Aug 23, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the swimming/cliff jumping stuff you're talking about is at the resevoir. If nobody posts up directions to it here, just stop at Miguels and ask. I've heard some kind of sketchy things about swimming in the river (i.e. bacteria content). As far as camping goes, try checking out some of the areas off of Tunnel Ridge Road (north of the parkway, sorry no quick walking access to crags that I'm aware of).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook