Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

summiteer

Aug 29, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Beta  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Linville_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What types of things are used to rappel on the Mummy and the Daddy? Is it fixed gear with anchors or natural like trees, etc...? Is it better to use a 60-70 meter rope for the rappels? Any help would be appreciated!

dockzilla

Jan 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summiteer] Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well weve never actually had a reason to rapple the routes themselves..One time the leader of the party below us slipped off of "The Mummy" and took a big fall ..let out a scream that would turn the stomach of a statue...anyway..they decided to not finish the route and walked to the top of the route via the descent gully (poor bastards..) we met them up there and we lowered one of them to the bottom of the Mummy with one sixty-meter rope..So my point is one sixty meter rope will reach the bottom but if you want to pull your rope at the bottom then you will need to use two sixty meter ropes...There is an alternative however....once at the top of the Mummy/ Dady you can go up the trail that leads back to the Land-to-sea trail (the only one there) for a bout fifty to seventy five yards and you will see a smal trail that leads down a little to a huge tree.. we have wrapped our rope around this tree and rappelled off of it when we want to do more than one route in the Amphitheater...thats what I would reccomend..but it will add aliittle more walking compared to rapping the route...but it still beats walking all the way around the Amphitheatre and having to do the descent gully again.. At the top of the mummy there is a tree..I wouldnt trust it as my sole anchor though...I usually wrap a sling around it and put some mid sized cams in the rocks next to it....Best of luck!! If you ever want to go climb in the Amphitheater send me a PM!!! Im always game..

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook