Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Rack Pictures (feel free to include weight and cost)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 69 Next page Last page  View All

svilnit

Sep 11, 2006, 6:25 PM
Post #351 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rack Pictures (feel free to include weight and cost) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally, a couple of reasons:

1.) I'm bored silly because I can't climb and at least fiddling with the gear gives me some sort of happiness.

2.) I used to have everything on a sling, however, when I took it out of my pack one day I noticed that one of the wires on a smaller cam was pretty bent due to being crushed under a pile of gear. Not bad enough to toss it, but bad enough that I stopped keeping everything in a heap for fear of having to retire gear due to the way it was stored.

3.) I have the extra room, so why not? :D

caughtinside

Sep 11, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #352 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so why not? :D

'cause it looks like you have to rerack every single runner if you want to climb?

svilnit

Sep 11, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #353 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

'cause it looks like you have to rerack every single runner if you want to climb?

It's not too bad, switch off who brings the rack each time we go climbing. So it ends up that I throw it all on a sling in a pack 2-3 times a month. If I know I'm going out twice in a weekend I'll keep it all on slings. It takes all of about 5 minutes to get out the door and I have peace of mind that gear isn't getting tweaked in a pack.

Partner brent_e

Sep 11, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #354 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

sounds like he does that for fun, though.

wake up
go to garage
tripple draws
rack on peg
disassemble draws
rack on peg

svilnit,
heal up!!!

Brent

svilnit

Sep 11, 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #355 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Brent...

I actually climbed Seneca about 2 weeks ago. That put the icing on the cake for my shoulder. Haven't been able to lift my arm above my head without pain since. BOOO!!!

My climbing workout now consists of practicing speed racking. That's why I have my times down. By the time this thing heals up I'll be able to get all my gear on the slings and be out the door by the time my partner picks out which tank top goes best with her shorts.

markc

Sep 11, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #356 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to have everything on a sling, however, when I took it out of my pack one day I noticed that one of the wires on a smaller cam was pretty bent due to being crushed under a pile of gear. Not bad enough to toss it, but bad enough that I stopped keeping everything in a heap for fear of having to retire gear due to the way it was stored

To each their own, but I see a middle ground. If you like keeping your gear separated on individual pegs, there's certainly no harm. I have a closet for all my gear. I keep protection on one sling, and quickdraws and tripled slings on another. both hang on a hook, and I make sure nothing is twisted or tweaked when I hang them. Wires aren't bent, and pro is ready to go. Seldom used pieces go on a found 2' runner on another hook. Other hooks hold webbing and spare harnesses, smaller packs, helmets, etc.

Some things like my harness, shoes, chalk bag, cordalette, and a few lockers rarely leave the pack between trips. They aren't things that can really tangle or get tweaked in the bag, and I use them on almost every outing. I grab that, the necessary slings and hardware, the rope(s) du jour, and I'm ready.

hibby11

Sep 11, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #357 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also rack/store everything up seperately when i'm at home. I look at it as a time to inspect the gear. As I take each individual piece off the sling I get a chance to look for any damage before I hang it up.

H

Partner epoch

Sep 11, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #358 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may have posted it in this thread, probably not and I am not up to sifting through my posts to find it... (I have posted it elsewhere, though.)

My simplified storage system:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=76186
My trad gear in one bag. Quick Draws and sport crap in another bag. 3 ropes in thier own bags. Rescue crap in it's own bag. I have a dedicated storage closet for my misc outdoor crap.

Believe me, by the time you've finished your call asking me to join you for a day at the crag I'm packed, out the door, gassed up, and on the road.....

Partner brent_e

Sep 11, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #359 of 1722 (122102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks Brent...

I actually climbed Seneca about 2 weeks ago. That put the icing on the cake for my shoulder. Haven't been able to lift my arm above my head without pain since. BOOO!!!

My climbing workout now consists of practicing speed racking. That's why I have my times down. By the time this thing heals up I'll be able to get all my gear on the slings and be out the door by the time my partner picks out which tank top goes best with her shorts.

that's good and crappy all at the same time.

:lol: speed racking! You'll be able to somehow unclip the draw from your harness and snap the rope into it in a fluid motion with one finger.

:lol:

being hurt sucks.

take care

Brent

mtl_climber

Sep 11, 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #360 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some things like my harness, shoes, chalk bag, cordalette, and a few lockers
rarely leave the pack between trips. They aren't things that can really tangle or get tweaked in the bag, and I use them on almost every outing. I grab that, the necessary slings and hardware, the rope(s) du jour, and I'm ready.

So your shoes should smell as hell !! :shock: :wink: :wink:

winglessangel

Sep 12, 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #361 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am SOOOOO freakin' bored. Injuries in the summer are no fun... My rack is organized beyond belief now though. I think I'm going to alpabetize it later this week...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78142

Do I see a price tag? dude, you must be really hurt!!

p.s. My poor rack will posted soon so you can make fun of me

dontmaytagme

Sep 12, 2006, 1:34 AM
Post #362 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rack Pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=48300

this is most of my free climbing rack...the most recent picture of it, anyway...the climb above me (the Fox at Red Rock) ate up all but about 3 of the aliens.

thanks to cavitycrew for the pic

I amy have learned something new from this pic...and I am really interested in finding out if your new #6 C4 is racked partially "cammed" on purpose. if so what did you use? did you do it on purpose? what kind of problems can arise?( I can think of a few) I am guessing you did this to make the am smaller. I have never seen or heard of this before...let me know.. Thanks. accident or master gear racker??

There is a better way than using a stick. Cut a section from a wire coat hanger so that when you thread it through the cam there is about 1/2 - 1 inch on either side. Use a needle nosed pliers to make a small loop out of one end. Then tie a piece of string from the loop to the stem. This keeps the cams smaller on your rack and when you need to use it, just bite on the wire and pull it out. This can be done one handed as opposed to the stick trick that can sometimes take 2 hands. This doesn't damage the cams but I wouldn't store them long term this way.

Yeah.. The sophisticated technology that goes into the stick though allows it to be LNT compliant.. so to speak. Wire Coat Hanger? Not so much. My $0.2 USD

ja.

climbingtrash

Sep 12, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #363 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am SOOOOO freakin' bored. Injuries in the summer are no fun... My rack is organized beyond belief now though. I think I'm going to alpabetize it later this week...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78143

I am curious as to why people organize their gear like this. Why don't you just keep everything you use clipped to a sling so you can just take it and go?

seems like a lot of extra annoyance to hang up everything when you get home, and then clip it all to a sling when you need it.
Obsessive
Compulsive
Disorder :shock:
Not really, just Phuck'n with ya. I have a buddy that does the same thing. As for me my gear is all neatly CRAMMED into my pack. :lol:

markc

Sep 12, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #364 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Some things like my harness, shoes, chalk bag, cordalette, and a few lockers
rarely leave the pack between trips. They aren't things that can really tangle or get tweaked in the bag, and I use them on almost every outing. I grab that, the necessary slings and hardware, the rope(s) du jour, and I'm ready.

So your shoes should smell as hell !! :shock: :wink: :wink:

Truth be told, they're clipped to the outside of the pack. They'd be in the closet anyway, so no big deal.

vegastradguy

Sep 12, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #365 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is a better way than using a stick. Cut a section from a wire coat hanger so that when you thread it through the cam there is about 1/2 - 1 inch on either side. Use a needle nosed pliers to make a small loop out of one end. Then tie a piece of string from the loop to the stem. This keeps the cams smaller on your rack and when you need to use it, just bite on the wire and pull it out. This can be done one handed as opposed to the stick trick that can sometimes take 2 hands. This doesn't damage the cams but I wouldn't store them long term this way.

Yeah.. The sophisticated technology that goes into the stick though allows it to be LNT compliant.. so to speak. Wire Coat Hanger? Not so much. My $0.2 USD

ja.

well, the wire coat hanger has a keeper cord on it so it stays with the cam- so, its LNT. But i'd worry that a big cam like the #6 would bend the coat hanger easily....

fwiw, my rack has grown substantially since that pic was taken- it's roughly doubled in size, bringing my cam total to just over 50 with 6 full sets of stoppers....i sort of lost control in the last year or so! :)

on the bright side, two more sets of hands and fists stuff and i can go to the creek on my own!

phugganut

Sep 12, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #366 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

ja.

well, the wire coat hanger has a keeper cord on it so it stays with the cam- so, its LNT. But i'd worry that a big cam like the #6 would bend the coat hanger easily....

Actually it doesn't bend it much. I use the thicker wire hangers and they rarely get bent, and never while on a climb. Occasionally they will bend in your pack but they are easily bent back into shape. YMMV.

anykineclimb

Sep 12, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #367 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="vegastradguy"]
In reply to:
In reply to:

Blah blah blah...

fwiw, my rack has grown substantially since that pic was taken- it's roughly doubled in size, bringing my cam total to just over 50 with 6 full sets of stoppers....i sort of lost control in the last year or so! :)

on the bright side, two more sets of hands and fists stuff and i can go to the creek on my own!

HOLY CRAP SON!!

Partner epoch

Sep 12, 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #368 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Whore.... That's what you are.... A gear whore!!!

But that's ok, since it is people like you who'll own a creek rack that keeps the prices low for the rest of us. :D

( I want my rack to reproduce like Jackrabbits. )

svilnit

Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #369 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Do I see a price tag? dude, you must be really hurt!!

p.s. My poor rack will posted soon so you can make fun of me

ahhahahah, it's not THAT bad. The price tag was for the peg board not the gear! ;)

Although those C4's haven't seen any action yet. BOOOO!!!

Partner devkrev

Sep 12, 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #370 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://photos-199.ak.facebook.com/...68_30385199_5886.jpg

"Artsy" rack pic, I took last friday.

dev

Partner heiko

Sep 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #371 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://photos-199.ak.facebook.com/...68_30385199_5886.jpg

"Artsy" rack pic, I took last friday.

dev

Hands up! Give me your aluminum offsets!

Partner devkrev

Sep 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #372 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Shoot, I forgot those were in the picture, I guess its only a matter of time before someone breaks into my apartment to get them :D

dev

vegastradguy

Sep 12, 2006, 1:03 PM
Post #373 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Shoot, I forgot those were in the picture, I guess its only a matter of time before someone breaks into my apartment to get them :D

dev

sorry to keep hijacking this thread- 5 of my 6 sets of stoppers happen to be HB offsets- i bought the last 4 sets desert rock had when they went away...they're all still sitting unused in my closet. see...gear whore. absolute gear whore. i have a real problem here, people....

Partner lagarita

Sep 12, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #374 of 1722 (122104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78060
Well, it still needs some work.

Sean

winglessangel

Sep 16, 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #375 of 1722 (122464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there it is...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=78532

notice the yellow carabinner waiting for a #2 C4, eheeh, someday soon

also, I need to replace the express in those two BD draws by some long dynnema runners

the rest will come with time

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 69 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook