Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

highpika

Sep 16, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #1 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Gapers taking photos of us?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:evil: Nothing gets me raging like stupid gaper taking pictures of me when I am cruxing out or not even doing anything cool! I climb a lot in corbet's couiler at the top of the tram in jackson WY.(I live at the base of the tram) It is awesome climbing but large amounts of people can walk down to the cliffs edge and witness the sessions. Stop taking pictures! We don't want to be displayed in some weirdo's photo album. I feel like one of the poor moose who is just trying to eat and people gape all over it. Am I being a bit touchy or would you get equally mad at the gapers doing their job:gaping.?

ninja_climber

Sep 16, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gapers taking photos of us? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its nothing new to me. The crag I climb at is 10 minutes walking distance from the center of the city, and its in a park next to a biking/walking trail.We constantly have atleast 10-15 people watching us and taking pictures when we climb. It doesn't bother me, it actually helps when chicks are looking at you and you're at the crux...falling is not an option.

cintune

Sep 16, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're being a bit touchy. Maybe you should tell them you're Amish. Or wear a t-shirt that says HEY FUCKFACE on the back. That might work.

ninja_climber

Sep 16, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #4 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol...tell them your a leoper...

mingleefu

Sep 17, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're being WAY touchy.

redlegrangerone

Sep 17, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #6 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try a couple hour drive and a three or four mile approach. I find it cuts down on the gapers. :lol:

nedsurf

Sep 17, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #7 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're being a bit touchy. Maybe you should tell them you're Amish. Or wear a t-shirt that says HEY f--- on the back. That might work.

Fling poo at them and jerk off constantly while at a belay. Sort of like the monkeys on display at the zoo. :D

climbingaggie03

Sep 17, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #8 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know what you mean, I've found my self climbing at a couple of tourist destinations this summer, Devils Tower and Garden of the Gods both have really high touron populations. It does strike me as weird that they would take a picture of me on an easy 5.6 route, and I wonder what they say when people are looking at their pictures after their vacation, but don't let it get to you, or enjoy it, you're doing something that most people only take pictures of and talk about, but never choose to experience first hand. I think the annoying part is on the ground when they want to talk to you and ask you questions, but usually they don't take too much time, and it's good press for climbers and climbing if we are friendly with the tourists, I think. If there's an access issue, we're more likely to get their support, or atleast not have them against us if we take a minute and talk to them. If you don't want to, you can always just not make eye contact, or feign not understanding any languages they speak.

If all else fails, go for climbs with nice long approaches, I heard that the tourons in the bugaboos aren't too bad.

you could also take a picture of the picture takers, and have a long aesthetical discussion about art

Partner ewtotel

Sep 17, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #9 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...you're doing something that most people only take pictures of and talk about, but never choose to experience first hand.

That's how I've always seen it. I remember being at Devil's tower when I was like fifteen years old and had only had my very first climbing experience a few weeks before at scout camp. All these "cool" climbers were there. Then, many years later, I was at Devil's Tower, coming down off Durance, and some kids started asking us questions. One of my partners was kinda short with the kids and walked off... I was like, "Dude, I WAS that kid."

I know it gets old, but I always look at it like a sort of fecked up badge of honor... "I'm doing something so incredibly cool that perfect strangers want to take a picture of me and show their friends..."

leapinlizard

Sep 17, 2006, 7:17 AM
Post #10 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...you're doing something that most people only take pictures of and talk about, but never choose to experience first hand.

That's how I've always seen it. I remember being at Devil's tower when I was like fifteen years old and had only had my very first climbing experience a few weeks before at scout camp. All these "cool" climbers were there. Then, many years later, I was at Devil's Tower, coming down off Durance, and some kids started asking us questions. One of my partners was kinda short with the kids and walked off... I was like, "Dude, I WAS that kid."

I know it gets old, but I always look at it like a sort of fecked up badge of honor... "I'm doing something so incredibly cool that perfect strangers want to take a picture of me and show their friends..."

Very well said!!!

foeslts16

Sep 17, 2006, 7:49 AM
Post #11 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:evil: Nothing gets me raging like stupid gaper taking pictures of me when I am cruxing out or not even doing anything cool! I climb a lot in corbet's couiler at the top of the tram in jackson WY.(I live at the base of the tram) It is awesome climbing but large amounts of people can walk down to the cliffs edge and witness the sessions. Stop taking pictures! We don't want to be displayed in some weirdo's photo album. I feel like one of the poor moose who is just trying to eat and people gape all over it. Am I being a bit touchy or would you get equally mad at the gapers doing their job:gaping.?

I with you all the way man!!!!! I ain't not no idiot who just looks at things that i don't not no nothing about. Stupid people looking at something that they do not know, they should put their head down and walk until they can be sure that they know about something and then see it...

Man...................your village called, their idiot is missing.

Partner tgreene

Sep 17, 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #12 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, they are totally using the x-ray filters on their digi-cams when taking pics of you, then using those pics to create spank-books to distribute at truck stops... :boring:

lunabruandabby

Sep 17, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #13 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get over it. First...climbing in Corbets? Would you be so tweaked if they were shooting you in the winter hucking into it? It is a destination resort after all. Are you too lazy to head to some of the real stone that your area has to offer? I know for a fact that the only time I would be even slightly perturbed would be if I was tr'ing like a champ or getting spanked on a moderate. So which is it?

JP

Partner j_ung

Sep 17, 2006, 1:59 PM
Post #14 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're being a bit touchy. Maybe you should tell them you're Amish. Or wear a t-shirt that says HEY f--- on the back. That might work.

:lol:

Winner.

"First, you must understand your enemy. Then, you must strike at his weakness."

iamcolinslack

Sep 17, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #15 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or you could go foight em'.

paulbehee

Sep 17, 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #16 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah Bro, Don't TRIP! Just climb if you like to climb. I climb REMOTE areas to get away from people, but, when I'm at a crowded area, I deal with it.

paulbehee

Sep 17, 2006, 5:56 PM
Post #17 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah Bro, Don't TRIP! Just climb if you like to climb. I climb REMOTE areas to get away from people, but, when I'm at a crowded area, I deal with it.

highpika

Sep 17, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #18 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, Okay so maybe that is the problem... I should just go to a far far away place and climb! However, I climb at corbet's on the 4 days that I have to work up there. My other 3 days, I am not complaining. I am way out of the gapers reach deep in the Tetons. I do like the flinging poo and the fuck face t-shirt idea! P.S. next year I won't be complaining about the gapers up there since the tram is leaving us. :cry:

highpika

Sep 17, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #19 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, Okay so maybe that is the problem... I should just go to a far far away place and climb! However, I climb at corbet's on the 4 days that I have to work up there. My other 3 days, I am not complaining. I am way out of the gapers reach deep in the Tetons. I do like the flinging poo and the fuck face t-shirt idea! P.S. next year I won't be complaining about the gapers up there since the tram is leaving us. :cry:

lena_chita

Sep 19, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #20 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb harder! If you have time to notice that someone is taking picture of you while you are working htorugh a crux, then either you need to focus better, or the route is too easy for you :)

I couldn't care less if a picture of my butt somewhere up on the cliff will show up in someone's photo album. Most likely they wouldn't want to put it there anyway b/c the cliff picture will be prettier without me in it, and I would be prettier if I weren't an indistinct dark blur the size of a thumbprint in their photo.

pastprime

Sep 19, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #21 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm completely with foeslts16. The one here who needs to get over their problem is you. There is nothing in either regulations or good manners that says people shouldn't look at or take pictures of something that is unusual or interesting to them. Climbing is a very peripheral activity, and a person can be both intelligent, or even brilliant, in any number of areas of life that actually matter, and be completely unfamiliar with climbing. What kind of unaware dullard who had not seen climbers before would not find it at least a bit interesting for a few minutes?
You remind of some of the people I knew in earlier times in my life who went out of their way to have hair and clothes that made them look as absolutely freakish as possible, and then constantly complained or acted offended whenever someone seemed to notice them.
My bet is that you enjoy whining about and feeling superior to the tourists, and would miss it if you didn't have it.

Partner jeff_m

Sep 19, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #22 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares about the photos? It's when they're peeking over the edge and say "Hey, watcha doin?" or stumbling around a top anchor that makes me want to carry a crossbow and pull a Ted Nugent on them....

saxfiend

Sep 19, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #23 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You remind of some of the people I knew in earlier times in my life who went out of their way to have hair and clothes that made them look as absolutely freakish as possible, and then constantly complained or acted offended whenever someone seemed to notice them.
My bet is that you enjoy whining about and feeling superior to the tourists, and would miss it if you didn't have it.
Trophy for you! :righton:

JL

mowz

Sep 20, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #24 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't like the "gapers" taking pictures of you, go somewhere else.

You know it's a big tourist spot; be accountable for your own actions.

slywilliesnores

Sep 21, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #25 of 52 (6576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing El Matador on Devils Tower I was aware of some tourists watching my progress. It was my first time at the Tower and not being very good at crack climbing I was slow to climb. I also had very few pieces that fit the crack so I was leap frogging gear.
After finishing the first 3? pitches we rapped off and made our way back to the parking lot. Some foreign tourists walked up and asked if we had been the climbers on El Matador. I proudly exclaimed that yes we had done the route. The tourists then got a puzzled look on their faces and asked why it had taken so long to climb the route. They then mentioned that we were very slow climbers. Well, that let the air out of my ego! I did mention that I was the slow lead man and that my belay partner climbed much faster than I did. Oh well so much for being a 'stone master'. :roll:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook