Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

clausti

Sep 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3138 views)
Shortcut

my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

freaking out!

read the ex bf's away message this morning, and it says "seminar, then going to the new for the weekend." and i skip like a broken record, disoriented, did i put up an away message, am i reading my own? nope, he will be there.

i know where he will be camping. it is where we camped together. i know where he will be climbing-- there is a route that defeated him, i know he'll be back on it. what i dont know is who he'll be there with. his other climbing partner who i know? unidentified female he was reported climbing at the gunks with?

most relationships have two phases to getting over it.... the breaking up part and the omg he has a new gf part. seems to me the climbing relationships have a third part. the "i am going to see him out climbing again" part.

i have a test today. so i got about 4 hour of sleep. so yeah, i'm pretty much going to die.

edited to say: the title reflects an instinctive feeling upon hearing that he'll be there. it does not reflect what i consider to be a mature or appropriate attitude. nor do i actually think that the climbing area is really mine. just that feeling that you have when you met somebody someplace where you hang out a lot, and they are the less frequent visitor.

Partner booger

Sep 28, 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Re: my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well chica, the saying is... if you use your heart as a weapon, you inevitably turn the blade on yourself. STAY AWAY from where you know he'll be. I know it's hard, but given that you're losing sleep over it ... really, it's healthier.

-Taz

clausti

Sep 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you know he'll be. I know it's hard, but given that you're losing sleep over it

-Taz

noooooo.

not losing sleep over this. studied all night for the test. didnt find out about this untill about 30 seconds before i posted.

lena_chita

Sep 28, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is tough! Rumor has it, when two climbers that I know have divorced, they had divided their climbing days at the gym and which gym they go to as part of the divorce agreement :) B/c they both wanted to climb and didn't really care to run into each other.

IMO it is not just for climbers-- if you were together for a while you had common friends, common places you liked to hang out at...

How much are you going to change your life to avoid running into him? Should you really? Stay away from the particular crag where he'll be climbing if you know that ahead of time... no problem, NRG is big. But don't change your camping plans if you have a favorite campground. Chances are, he won't be using women's bathroom, and won't be hanging out at the bathroom door waiting for his partner, so you won't run into him... and if you will... saying hi won't kill you, even if he has a new gf with him and it hurts. Maybe it would even help to get over it?

clausti

Sep 28, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
IMO it is not just for climbers-- if you were together for a while you had common friends, common places you liked to hang out at...

yeah. the one boyfriend i had at university, it was worse, cause *every* place i walked, like, *every* day reminded me of him, whereas clemson is still sacred from brad.

The NRG, though, with respect to just the two of us, was mine. i met him there on his first time to the new, and then we roadtripped there together for a few weeks this summer... its really just petty territorialism. i'm so evolved.

In reply to:
How much are you going to change your life to avoid running into him? Should you really?

not changing my plans... i know enough peopel in wv now that i dont ever have to camp if i dont want to, and they're my friends not his. its just knowing that hes there, that he might be at cathedral, that he might be parking at fern. and its places like that that do have memories for me from "us."

i was thinking about it earleir, and i think what it is is this: i am going to put this in the first person (which is hard for me cause it admits that its what i think not some amorphous population): i want to think that the better someone gets to know me, the more they are going to like me. because i like to think i am a likable, attractive person. and what hurts so bad is that if he liked me so much at first, and progressively less so later on, it means that the more he got to know me, the less he liked me. it means that someone who i let get close to me decided i wasnt what they wanted, wasnt right, wasnt good enough, or they just didnt like me. so that's why this is painful.

lena_chita

Sep 28, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i want to think that the better someone gets to know me, the more they are going to like me. because i like to think i am a likable, attractive person. and what hurts so bad is that if he liked me so much at first, and progressively less so later on, it means that the more he got to know me, the less he liked me. it means that someone who i let get close to me decided i wasnt what they wanted, wasnt right, wasnt good enough, or they just didnt like me. so that's why this is painful.

I know your emotions are not rational, so explaining things away rationally probably won't help. But... Do you agree with a general statement that no matter how wonderful person A is, he/she will never be liked by every single person in the world? It makes sense, right? B/c the things that go into "liking" someone are so varried and personal and arbitrary, really...

So ONE PARTICULAR person not liking you more as he got to know you more is in no way a reflection of how "right", good, likable, attractive, nice or wonderful person you may be. Yes, it hurts that in order to decide that the person first got very close and personal, but ultimately it does not mean anything about YOU. Or him.

You were not well matched, even if YOU thought you were. That's all.

Partner mr8615

Sep 29, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always come climb some hard granite trad instead! I've got Sunday off from work. Should be a good day. :D

comet

Sep 30, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first trick is to stop checking his away messages. Checking on him is a way of keeping him in your life by keeping him in the front of your mind, and it sounds like that's not helpful.

Totally reasonable to feel like your space is being invaded, but try get on whatever you want to get on, ex-boyfriend be damned. You'll bump into him eventually, and it takes so much energy to avoid someone.

Good luck!

clee03m

Sep 30, 2006, 7:24 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is my mature advise on open and honest communication.

One, I wouldn't let him see how you are devastated. If, or rather, when you run into him, smile widely, give him a hug, treat him like a brother. Nothing drive them crazier to see the girl who is suppose to be devastated look and act as if they could care less. Please tell me he doesn't read rc.com.

Two, getting over a man requires men. Kind of like fighting fire with fire. I would say surround yourself with men who adore you. It's rebound time, babe. Sometimes rebounding can be a really emotionally...ur...ok mainly physically fulfilling time.

Three, getting over men requires women as well. No, I'm not talking lesbian adventures. Surround yourself with supportive girlfriends, get drunk, cry, laugh. I say they are better than therapists.

Four, combine one and two. Go deliberately to the New with your hot rebound, look better than ever, and then give him a BIG hug just to ignore him for the rest of the time. Damn straight your climbing are is YOUR climbing area. Now act like it.

I guarantee you will receive the drunken phone call within few months from this ex telling you how you were the best thing that had happened to his pathetic life.

Five, when you receive his pathetic phone call, tell him in your sweetest voice that you are so sorry because you care so much about him, but you've met someone who made you realize how wrong he was for you (even if it is a lie). Then call your girlfriends from three and celebrate.

I call this Chris's 5 stages of getting over a man. Please don't roll your eyes when I say, you will eventually meet someone who will make you thank god, the stars, and even just a walking dog that he left you when he did. Good luck.

clausti

Oct 1, 2006, 1:40 AM
Post #10 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here is my mature advise on open and honest communication.

One, I wouldn't let him see how you are devastated. If, or rather, when you run into him, smile widely, give him a hug, treat him like a brother. Nothing drive them crazier to see the girl who is suppose to be devastated look and act as if they could care less. Please tell me he doesn't read rc.com.

he doesnt read it. and one day gone so far, and no sign of him.

In reply to:
Two, getting over a man requires men. Kind of like fighting fire with fire. I would say surround yourself with men who adore you. It's rebound time, babe. Sometimes rebounding can be a really emotionally...ur...ok mainly physically fulfilling time.

:) i have three adoring, amazing climbing partners/ boys sitting around me right now, watching dosage. today was amazing. more awesome friends including lots of yummy boys at houndears next weekend.

In reply to:
Three, getting over men requires women as well. No, I'm not talking lesbian adventures. Surround yourself with supportive girlfriends, get drunk, cry, laugh. I say they are better than therapists.

i agree. and kasharp has been one hell of a gal this weekend, for starters. what's more fun is that now my girlfriends in clemson like to play a game called "all the reasons brad is gay." not necc true, but hell of amuzing.

In reply to:
Four, combine one and two. Go deliberately to the New with your hot rebound, look better than ever, and then give him a BIG hug just to ignore him for the rest of the time. Damn straight your climbing are is YOUR climbing area. Now act like it.

maybe i'll find someone to pretend or just a fling to take. i have sworn off emotional romantic relationships for the next year. not a good time in my life, with graduating in december, and MY ROAD TRIP [hells] and moving to grad school.

In reply to:
I guarantee you will receive the drunken phone call within few months from this ex telling you how you were the best thing that had happened to his pathetic life.

Five, when you receive his pathetic phone call, tell him in your sweetest voice that you are so sorry because you care so much about him, but you've met someone who made you realize how wrong he was for you (even if it is a lie). Then call your girlfriends from three and celebrate.

that i will do.

In reply to:
I call this Chris's 5 stages of getting over a man. Please don't roll your eyes when I say, you will eventually meet someone who will make you thank god, the stars, and even just a walking dog that he left you when he did. Good luck.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks dude. i am doing well so far. i am really happy i am up here this weekend, staying with a good friend, hanging out with some awsome people. ironically, one of the guys i'm climbing with tomorrow... his comment when hearing that ex and i were going out was "is he worthy of our clausti????" and i shall tell him tomorrow, that no. he was not worthy.

its funny cause since he and i broke up, i have realized how many friends i have. its been good.

htotsu

Oct 1, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what hurts so bad is that if he liked me so much at first, and progressively less so later on, it means that the more he got to know me, the less he liked me. it means that someone who i let get close to me decided i wasnt what they wanted, wasnt right, wasnt good enough, or they just didnt like me. so that's why this is painful.

I think about it this way. It's not about someone not liking you the more they know you. It's someone finding you aren't the best fit for him the more he knows you. That's about the two of you, not just you you. It's not about something being wrong with you in the singular, it's something being wrong with the two of you as a pair. That's all. Two puzzle pieces that at first look like they'll fit, but actually they don't. Doesn't mean either piece is defective.

This doesn't mean you can't learn from it. Sometimes there are things we could have done better, and we can take that with us into our future relationships. But please don't think that something is necessarily wrong with you here.

clausti

Oct 1, 2006, 4:18 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

found out he just got himself a brand new gf, too. 7 weeks to the day after we broke up. yay facebook.

"it is really hard for my to be in a relationship. i am just a very independent person and this is too hard right now"

aka i'm selfish and i dont like you. but i like her...

i hate it how guys are like "i dont want to be in a relationship right now" which really means "with you."

bribak

Oct 1, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

side note: facebook and myspace only cause that much more trouble. I'm convinced without the two of them life would be easier. :) Things will get better with time, but you know that...I can't say anything that the ladies haven't previously said :D

redpointron

Oct 2, 2006, 9:14 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The NRG, though, with respect to just the two of us, was mine. i met him there on his first time to the new, and then we roadtripped there together for a few weeks this summer... its really just petty territorialism. i'm so evolved.

come to the RRG. make that your new home (and drag katie over too).

good luck with it all. and keep in mind that graduation and the big road trip is mere months away.

regards.

r.r.

climbingbetty22

Oct 2, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Clausti-girl! I hope your weekend went well and that you didn't run into the Brad, but if you did I hope you were able to hold your head high, give him the smile that says "I'm doing just fine without you asshole" and move on surrounded by your hoard of adoring male climbing partners.

Never forget that you are an amazing and fantastic person and that you deserve to be loved by someone who really is worthy of you. Accept nothing less for yourself!!!!

You've got so much great stuff ahead of you- I am so excited for you, for all the adventures you're going to have through the next several years. They aren't going to be quite the same with a man in tow! Remember the wisdom of Solomon- there is a time to reap and a time to sow, there is a time to have a man and a time to live it up being a single gal. Take some time and enjoy being adored by tons of boys without making a pan jealous. Take some time to enjoy doing whatever you want whenever you want without have to figure in another person's needs and wants. Take some time to enjoy being you and realize that you are a whole person- you aren't half a person because you don't have a "better half." All of that is not to say that there aren't certain perks to being in a relationship, its just that sometimes those perks get over-hyped and we fail to appreciate the perks to not being in a relationship.

And always remember that you are going big places- bigger than New Jersey!!!

P.S. It doens't look like Jason and I are going to make it down your way this season. Looks like we'll have to have those ropes mailed afterall. Give me a call about it. We'll reimburse you for the shipping costs.

climbingbetty22

Oct 2, 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Clausti-girl! I hope your weekend went well and that you didn't run into the Brad, but if you did I hope you were able to hold your head high, give him the smile that says "I'm doing just fine without you asshole" and move on surrounded by your hoard of adoring male climbing partners.

Never forget that you are an amazing and fantastic person and that you deserve to be loved by someone who really is worthy of you. Accept nothing less for yourself!!!!

You've got so much great stuff ahead of you- I am so excited for you, for all the adventures you're going to have through the next several years. They aren't going to be quite the same with a man in tow! Remember the wisdom of Solomon- there is a time to reap and a time to sow, there is a time to have a man and a time to live it up being a single gal. Take some time and enjoy being adored by tons of boys without making a pan jealous. Take some time to enjoy doing whatever you want whenever you want without have to figure in another person's needs and wants. Take some time to enjoy being you and realize that you are a whole person- you aren't half a person because you don't have a "better half." All of that is not to say that there aren't certain perks to being in a relationship, its just that sometimes those perks get over-hyped and we fail to appreciate the perks to not being in a relationship.

P.S. It doens't look like Jason and I are going to make it down your way this season. Looks like we'll have to have those ropes mailed afterall. Give me a call about it. We'll reimburse you for the shipping costs.

clausti

Oct 4, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #17 of 20 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

oh, dude.... how have you been???? the weekend at the new went well, no sign of brad, only amazing climbing. only lots of amazing climbing partners.

sad that you and jason arent going to be able to get down here and enjoy it. send me a PM with where to ship the doubles and they'll be headed your way. they are still sitting on the floor in my bedroom, reminding me of yall. i miss the gunks, silly me.

tell you what though.... i sure woudlnt show up at the gunks inside of 7 weeks with a new bf, you know what i'm sayin?

snoangel

Nov 13, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote=clausti]tell you what though.... i sure woudlnt show up at the gunks inside of 7 weeks with a new bf, you know what i'm sayin?[/quote]

Clausti, I hear you girl. My latest ex took all of 6 weeks to find someone new, and that was after a pretty serious relationship. All I have to say is sometimes men go for quantity over quality.

Keep your head up. Don't ever let a man cause you to doubt your self-worth. You really are too good for that. [;)]
-Sno

Partner missedyno

Nov 17, 2006, 8:07 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clausti chicky poo, how are ya?

oh wow, the climbing relationships are weird eh? just keep climbing. climb for you, it has nothing to do with him. it never did. if he was involved in it, then that's fine, but you're a super strong climber, just keep it up.

when i split from my bf/partner.... i didn't climb for a while. weird eh?

aren't you going on the road soon? do it single, do it stable. trust me :)

clausti

Nov 18, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #20 of 20 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [missedyno] my climbing area is MY climbing area!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Clausti chicky poo, how are ya?

oh wow, the climbing relationships are weird eh? just keep climbing. climb for you, it has nothing to do with him. it never did. if he was involved in it, then that's fine, but you're a super strong climber, just keep it up.

when i split from my bf/partner.... i didn't climb for a while. weird eh?

aren't you going on the road soon? do it single, do it stable. trust me :)

hey lady! haha, its actually a little weird for me for this thread to keep coming up, now that the ladies room is all at the top of the page and stuff.

things with that ex bf are much better now. yes, hes dating his gf from high school who he swore to me 8 ways to sunday that there was "nothing" between them. and yes, he still leaves science jargon away messages and i want him. But we had a good conversation a few weeks ago, sort of a debrief, and we agreed to the conclusion that we should not have gone out.

and it sucks, because there were *not* a lot of things between us that didnt work, but the one or two things that didnt, were things neither one of us could handle.

but yeah, i hit the road in january, without him, alllll single. and i am living the dream till august. l am both really looking forward to getting out on my own and terrified. but i think it'll be an amazing journey.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook