Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Wrist/Tendon injury....? I'm not really sure.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

phazed

Oct 11, 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Wrist/Tendon injury....? I'm not really sure.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so i climbed real hard on monday and got home, chilled for a couple hours then I was packing some computer parts to ship to ebay buyers...nothing heavy at all, under 2 pounds max.
doctors
Then all of the sudden my wrist area starts to hurt like crazy when I rotate it to the extremes.

Up and down wrist movements are fine, but when I rotate my whole forearm which in turn rotates my wrist I get sharp pain on the right side of my wrist right by that little bump that everyone has.

I know you guys aren't doctors, but has anyone had this happen before?

I have an orthepeic appointment tomorrow for something unrelated so I guess I'll bring it up.

Thanks

pastprime

Oct 11, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wrist/Tendon injury....? I'm not really sure. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any useful information on this, but I'd be interested in what you find out since I get a sharp pain in what sounds like the same place when I do a sidepull with my wrist bent toward the little finger side of the wrist. It is especially bad if my hand is at or above face level.
Looking forward to hearing anything you find out. Thanks.

fluxus

Oct 11, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, to start with, what you are describing is wrist pain that occurs do to movement of the radio-ulnar joint, which is a litle odd I suppose, and not necessairly an indication of a specific problem with the wrist per se.

Did you spend time doing moves or using holds that were new or different during your climbing session?

Do both flexion and extenion of your finger and wrist against light resistance, do you feel anying? Adduct and abduct your wrist (moving your hand side to side) with your arm held out level infront of you, what do you feel?

finally do your radio-ulner rotations in both directions against light resistance, what do you feel?

If you have a specific muscle or tendon injury going through these various motions will help identify what actions muscles / tendons are involved.

BTW, do you ever stretch your forearms?

zuegma

Oct 12, 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have that same pain in the general area that you are talking about. for me it started after i fractured my ulna bone at a wrestling toury...then i wrestled another 3 weeks later and f-ed it up. since then it has always bothered me when i pinch really hard or rotate it certain directions. so whenever i climb or wrestle i tape it and it feels fine. never went to a doctor but that solution works good enough for me.

phazed

Oct 12, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, to start with, what you are describing is wrist pain that occurs do to movement of the radio-ulnar joint, which is a litle odd I suppose, and not necessairly an indication of a specific problem with the wrist per se.

Did you spend time doing moves or using holds that were new or different during your climbing session?
Nope not really, The only thing I did differently was laps up and down the rope wall with worked my forearms. Everything else wasn't new at all.

In reply to:
Do both flexion and extenion of your finger and wrist against light resistance, do you feel anying?
I feel a little pain, not even close to as much as when I rotate my forearm though.

In reply to:
Adduct and abduct your wrist (moving your hand side to side) with your arm held out level infront of you, what do you feel?
It feels fairly tight and a little sore, not much pain though.

In reply to:
finally do your radio-ulner rotations in both directions against light resistance, what do you feel?

If you have a specific muscle or tendon injury going through these various motions will help identify what actions muscles / tendons are involved.
I think I feel a tendon clicking around the same place I described where the pain was. I can't feel it through the skin, it does that with no resistance also though.

In reply to:
BTW, do you ever stretch your forearms?
Not really. no.

bako_prc

Oct 12, 2006, 1:31 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had the same pain your talking about, and still have it to some degree. i was on a left leaning finger crack with no footholds, river smooth rock, and put alot of stress on my left wrist. it didnt hurt until the next day at work, and for a week after that i taped my wrist. i have not climbed for 3 weeks, my wrist feels alot better, not 100% but good.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook