RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

zip_ty

Oct 23, 2006, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 1 (369 views)
Shortcut

How important is cardio training?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

Towards the end of July I broke my ankle in 3 places playing softball. The injury never healed properly and can't take the impact of running anymore. I've strengthened the injured tendons by climbing on them but I am still having problems running.

So back to the subject, how important is cardio training when it comes to climbing. If I climb 4 - 6x a week and one of those times is endurance climbing (last weekend did 1020 moves (7 laps on a 170 move traverse) in 2 hours) would that be okay? Other than a stationary bike is there something low impact that I can do for cardio? I don't have a MTB or Roadbike right now and I will not be able to get one until I move and can have room for it.

I don't expect to become a world class climber but I would like to be able to climb 5.12+ (I know...ratings aren't everything but you get the idea). I would also like to do some local comps. Mostly for fun but fun for me is having the skill and ability to be competitive.

I'd like to be able to do as much as possible without having to have surgery. The extent of the break wasn't bad enough to require surgery to begin with and I have other, more important, body parts that are ahead of my ankle on the surgery list.

Sorry if this post reeks of n00b but I'm just curious if I can continue my workout as it is or if it would benefit me more to add cardio in spite of the pain. Or maybe a low impact cardio? I want to stay off the gooncycle but I am willing to consider it if it will help greatly.

Thanks all!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook