RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner thespider

Nov 30, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2690 views)
Shortcut

Posts show inline Photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I wanted to post this in Site-wide Announcements, but its locked....

Anyway, I stumbled across this in the Climbing Photography forum:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=1490557;#1490557

With the "[embed attachments and linked images]" script you can either add a photo as an attachment or as a image url and get it to show up in posts. It is very sweet! Thanks melekzek!! YTMND!

(This post was edited by thespider on Nov 30, 2006, 3:12 PM)

melekzek

Dec 1, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thespider] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, I put them in one page, and put descriptions of how to install and use the bookmarklets. I also added google gadget there too. have fun.

Here it is

btw, apparently it works in IE too. Just add the bookmarklet to your favorites.

(This post was edited by melekzek on Dec 1, 2006, 8:39 AM)

robbovius

Dec 1, 2006, 1:37 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melekzek] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is a nice mod and all, but it's NOT embedded images. each user has to modify his or her borwser to show pictures in thread, as we used to be able to do without special effort? it also allowws the new owners an out to ignore requests to include embedded images in the site code.

"you want embedded images, just modify your browser!"

the loss os embeddded imgaes is - for this user - the single most grating feature LOSS, of the new migration.

I can understand the owners wanting to have both sites resemble each other for style and branding (as dan mentioned in his inital repsonse to feeback), but I don't agree that it causes any extraordinary page loading times for the average user. in fact, even on my home dial-up, I didn't mind waiting for picture-heavy threads to load simply because they were more interesting to read.

Partner thespider

Dec 1, 2006, 1:44 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tested it and it works in Safari! For those of you who don't know, thats Mac OS X's web browser.

No it's not "Embedded images" like were used to, but it's damn close! The only thing you have to do is to click a little button to display photos, which in my mind is almost the best way to do it. I would prefer a setting that defines if I see images or not, mainly for the dial-up users. Until then, I will continue to enjoy this hack to it's fullest!!!

http://rusty.isa-geek.org/...files/DSC_0013_5.png

Partner cracklover

Dec 1, 2006, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's very cute, and I appreciate it, but I don't like the security implications of my browser opening up any attachment someone has added to their post. I will use it on occasion, but again, it's a kluge.

I implore the owners of the site - you see what your userbase is stooping to? Viewing your website through a quick and dirty third-party tool because the site is unusable as is. How can this possibly be acceptable to you?

Turn on the image tags.

GO

melekzek

Dec 1, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
this is a nice mod and all, but it's NOT embedded images. each user has to modify his or her borwser to show pictures in thread, as we used to be able to do without special effort? it also allowws the new owners an out to ignore requests to include embedded images in the site code.

"you want embedded images, just modify your browser!"

i agree totally. But as I said here I do not believe inline photos are disabled because of coding priorities or performance. It is a delibarate decision our new landlords made. And they do not seem to change their minds, and they are just waiting everybody to get used to the new layout/rules.

So, I get bored waiting something to change, if ever, and I wrote the code for myself. It looked good, so I posted it here. Will this be used against the full site support of inline images? I do not know, but as I said earlier, I do not believe that they are planned for a comeback anyhow. Too bad.

(This post was edited by melekzek on Dec 1, 2006, 7:13 PM)

ddt

Dec 1, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

melekzek wrote:
... I do not believe inline photos are disabled because of coding priorities or performance. It is a delibarate decision our new landlords made. And they do not seem to change their minds, and they are just waiting everybody to get used to the new layout/rules.

While I can understand the perception, it is not true. We are actively looking at this. I'll make a post (within a day or so) with more information so you can get insight into what's going on.

In reply to:
Will this be used against the full site support of inline images?

No. Smile

DDT

Partner thespider

Dec 1, 2006, 8:39 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks DDT!

As a community, online or real life, it's great to be included in the thoughts of the people who are in a position of power!

nikegirl

Dec 4, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed melekzek's pics...
I want to go to Istanbul now. :)

:)

~T

Partner ctardi

Dec 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I am able to tell, it is NOT just an option for the administrator to click a button and have the images embedded, it is something that has to be coded in to the software.

jcasper

Dec 5, 2006, 6:54 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctardi] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thought it interesting that sangiro posted about this in the Gossamer Forum Forums back on August 12:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...Attachments_P293155/

No response so far. :) Hopefully that post is not all that he has done, but it at least shows he was trying as far back as August.

Jared

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 5, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
melekzek wrote:
... I do not believe inline photos are disabled because of coding priorities or performance. It is a delibarate decision our new landlords made. And they do not seem to change their minds, and they are just waiting everybody to get used to the new layout/rules.

While I can understand the perception, it is not true. We are actively looking at this. I'll make a post (within a day or so) with more information so you can get insight into what's going on.
Just to clarify... While user profiles are seperate from threads, I asked publically if HTML, BB Tags, or Mark Up were going to be allowed in user profiles, as many users had put lots of work into making some very slick, informational, and functional profiles... I got no answer, so I PMd many staff, yourself included, and got no reply, and only after repeated PMs did I finally get an answer from Willem who stated, "it was not going to be enabled, and it was decided that uniform single paragraph descriptions in profiles is what he wanted, and he mentioned 'branding/performance' issues as well".

It does not seem a leap of logic to apply this 'perception' to threads as well, but it is good to see that he has reconsiderred... Maybe he will reconsider allowing images and 'mark up' in profiles as well.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 5, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcasper] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jcasper wrote:
Thought it interesting that sangiro posted about this in the Gossamer Forum Forums back on August 12:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...Attachments_P293155/No response so far. :) Hopefully that post is not all that he has done, but it at least shows he was trying as far back as August.

Jared

That should have gotten an imediate response, as the following quote is from the most recent 'site update' from DDT:
In reply to:
Finally, let me give everyone a sense for how things work "behind the scenes" as far as technical work on rockclimbing.com is concerned. In addition to Willem (who is also managing dropzone.com) and me (who has a full-time job in the IT consulting industry), we have access to the equivalent of 50% of a "real" programmer at Gossamer Threads, our technology partner. Yup, this team built the new site and is currently supporting it and working on enhancements.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...um.cgi?post=1493564;
This implies that the coders at Gossamer have devoted 50% of their time to our issues, so why the long delay ???

(This post was edited by rrradam on Dec 5, 2006, 10:29 PM)

fenix83

Dec 5, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My reading of the above quoted comment is different. I understand it to be "half a programmer", that is to say the equivalent of 4 hours a day of work from a single programmer.

-F

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 6, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenix83] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fenix83 wrote:
My reading of the above quoted comment is different. I understand it to be "half a programmer", that is to say the equivalent of 4 hours a day of work from a single programmer.

-F

Well... That certainly explains why 4 months and no reply yet.

My bad. Crazy

(This post was edited by rrradam on Dec 6, 2006, 5:02 AM)

reno

Dec 6, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] Posts show inline Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam wrote:
In reply to:
Finally, let me give everyone a sense for how things work "behind the scenes" as far as technical work on rockclimbing.com is concerned. In addition to Willem (who is also managing dropzone.com) and me (who has a full-time job in the IT consulting industry), we have access to the equivalent of 50% of a "real" programmer at Gossamer Threads, our technology partner. Yup, this team built the new site and is currently supporting it and working on enhancements.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...um.cgi?post=1493564;
This implies that the coders at Gossamer have devoted 50% of their time to our issues, so why the long delay ???

I didn't read it the same way, Adam. What I saw was that of all the folks at Gossamer (and I don't know how many that is... 10? More?), one guy devotes 50% of his (or her... shouldn't be sexist, I reckon) time to this website.

I could be wrong.... it has happened.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook