Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

acacongua

Dec 1, 2006, 4:12 AM
Post #76 of 117 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
what's that you said? you want to come party with me at rocktown at new years and then throw down?

I'll probably be there, but with all the people,I may not find you. That place was craaaaaaazy last year - so much I ended up in the hotel at the bottom of Pigeon. LOL

phugganut

Dec 2, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #77 of 117 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancyclaps] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have many female climbing partners, and this subject does come up occasionally. From what I have seen, women generally say that it doesn't matter if a guy climbs harder than them or not. Then they only date men that climb harder than them, despite active interest from other guys.

Actions speak louder than words???

PS: I would LOVE to date a woman that climbs harder than me. Unfortunately they always seem to already be in a relationship... with a guy that climbs harder than me.

(This post was edited by phugganut on Dec 2, 2006, 6:08 AM)

c_mtnbear

Dec 2, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #78 of 117 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very grounded and very well stated!

stymingersfink

Dec 3, 2006, 3:03 AM
Post #79 of 117 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c_mtnbear] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c_mtnbear wrote:
Very grounded and very well stated!

which seems to contribute to his problem... too well grounded! :)

Perhaps it may motivate him to climb harder? I've always just climbed for myself, but I suppose if there were some romantic attraction with one who climbed harder than I can (not too difficult to do) than it probably would motivate me to climb harder. Maybe.

weirdoclimer
Deleted

Dec 3, 2006, 8:25 AM
Post #80 of 117 (3415 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner angry

Dec 3, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #81 of 117 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weirdoclimer] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weirdoclimer wrote:
Geeeze and all I want is a guy who can lead .13 OWs is that so much to ask?!

::brushes off big cams and puts more tape on his pants::

[john wayne]Well there pretty lady, you find me a 5.13 offwidth and I'll be pleased to lead her up for you [/john wayne]

::tips hat::
[john wayne]looks like you've got a belly full of bad berries ma'am[/john wayne]

nthusiastj

Dec 4, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #82 of 117 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty wrote:
In reply to:
If you are dating a climber, does it even factor in how hard he climbs?

I probably need to start stalking the US Ski Team.

Brad,
Kim and I shared a lift at Beaver Creek this past weekend with one of the Ski Team gals. She was pretty cute... Just sayin, as long as their in town...

shorty

Dec 4, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #83 of 117 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthusiastj wrote:
shorty wrote:
In reply to:
If you are dating a climber, does it even factor in how hard he climbs?

I probably need to start stalking the US Ski Team.

Brad,
Kim and I shared a lift at Beaver Creek this past weekend with one of the Ski Team gals. She was pretty cute... Just sayin, as long as their in town...
I know, I saw the team pictures before the Beaver Creek World Cup races. Unfortunately, the team will soon be off to Europe and I'll be chained to my desk.

Now really, do you think some of the best skiers in the world want to be dragged down by a never-has-been, I-can't-ski-my-way-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag, weekend warrior racer wanna-be, who drives a computer mouse for a living?

By continuing to slave away on my laptop and pass those oh-so-exciting reports up the chain of command, I'm just saving the women on the US Team from level of excitement they probably can't handle. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.Wink

Partner missedyno

Dec 7, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #84 of 117 (3224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Oh, and if any women consistently onsight at or above any of the following: 5.10+ trad, 5.12- sport, or V3+ bouldering, you climb harder than me.

oh thank god you mentioned bouldering!

i'm at a point where i'm not sure if i want another climbing relationship - new guy is going to need to know that i have other people to climb with. i'm climbing harder and with more confidence (i guess the two go hand in hand) since i ditched the bf

foodlovur

Dec 15, 2006, 5:48 AM
Post #85 of 117 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading through the first few comments, I was thinking: sure, of course it's important to connect with the guy, but it's hard to imagine dating a climber climbing below your level... maybe if he's just getting started and you trust he'll be out-climbing you in no time. I've got this one male friend who is about 10x sexier when he's leading a climb above my grade (as opposed to sitting on my couch not helping with the dishes). Unless they're super skinny, most climbers are pretty hot.

But then I read your comment, and you definitely have a point. i've been climbing for about a year and a half. I'm only solidly leading 5.8, but I can second up to 5.10d with a little thrashing and quite a bit of whining. While a 5.13 male climber may be super-sexy and willing to chill out on some easier stuff, I'd always feel like he was doing me a favor. It'd be like a rest day for him, esp. if I lead anything. Probably we'd end up compromising: he'd lead something at the high-end of what I can second. And it sucks to always be the girl following her boyfriend around. Plus, while I might become a better climber by being on harder routes, I won't become a better lead climber. I've talked to other ladies about it - inevitably, we get lazy, letting the guy do all the work (he's just so damn efficient, plus it's annoying when he offers helpful suggestions), and we end up less confident on lead.

Plus, I probably jump to the conclusion that if he's climbing 5.13, it's pretty serious. I will always feels like climbing is the real love of his life. If I'm lucky, I might manage second place, someday.

jt512

Dec 15, 2006, 6:33 AM
Post #86 of 117 (3145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [foodlovur] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm really amazed at how important it seems to be for you gals that your guys climb harder than you. What is up with that?

Jay

foodlovur

Dec 15, 2006, 6:42 AM
Post #87 of 117 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Women deserve equal pay for equal work. Men can change diapers. But I don't think any amount of enlightenment will ever trump our biology. We want our men strong and agile.

But you're climbing 5.12s. You're all set.

jt512

Dec 15, 2006, 6:53 AM
Post #88 of 117 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foodlovur wrote:
Women deserve equal pay for equal work. Men can change diapers. But I don't think any amount of enlightenment will ever trump our biology. We want our men strong and agile.

I think it's broader than just "strong and agile." I think women want to feel inferior to "their men."

In reply to:
But you're climbing 5.12s. You're all set.

You may PM me for my phone number.

Jay

foodlovur

Dec 15, 2006, 7:07 AM
Post #89 of 117 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I think it's broader than just "strong and agile." I think women want to feel inferior to "their men."

Maybe we don't want to feel that our men are inferior to us.

jt512

Dec 15, 2006, 7:20 AM
Post #90 of 117 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foodlovur wrote:
jt512 wrote:

We're saying the same thing.

Still, it's just climbing. I mean, come on, how important can it be that your boyfriend can outclimb you?

Jay

clausti

Dec 15, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #91 of 117 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
foodlovur wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Still, it's just climbing. I mean, come on, how important can it be that your boyfriend can outclimb you?

Jay

you know jay, it just so happen that every boy whose ever aske me out has outclimbed me, and every boy i've ever asked out that I outclimbed has turned me down. coincidence?

[also known as "it aint just the girls who are sexist"]

(This post was edited by clausti on Dec 15, 2006, 2:45 PM)

uasunflower

Dec 15, 2006, 3:02 PM
Post #92 of 117 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti, maybe you should judge yourself first before judging others...

bizarrodrinker

Dec 15, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #93 of 117 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
jt512 wrote:
foodlovur wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

you know jay, it just so happen that every boy whose ever aske me out has outclimbed me, and every boy i've ever asked out that I outclimbed has turned me down. coincidence?

[also known as "it aint just the girls who are sexist"]

What about guys who get shot down on both fronts? I had to get my gf into climbing before I could get a female partner. I guess I am just not a desirable male specimen in terms of climbing.

clausti

Dec 15, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #94 of 117 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uasunflower wrote:
clausti, maybe you should judge yourself first before judging others...

sorry, i didnt mean to imply all men or all women are sexist. i'm just saying it is not an phenomenon that is exclusive to either.

stymingersfink

Dec 16, 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #95 of 117 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foodlovur wrote:
Plus, while I might become a better climber by being on harder routes, I won't become a better lead climber.
Why, yes... Yes you should.

If you're following .13's, that .8 lead will fall by the wayside, in favor of something a little more challenging.

foodlovur

Dec 16, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #96 of 117 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree... obviously... yeah, I might be able to pull the moves more easily, but being on the sharp end is hugely mental, and you don't develop the mental stamina to commit on lead when you're seconding all the time.

caughtinside

Dec 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #97 of 117 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

classic.

stymingersfink

Dec 17, 2006, 1:49 AM
Post #98 of 117 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

foodlovur wrote:
I disagree... obviously... yeah, I might be able to pull the moves more easily, but being on the sharp end is hugely mental, and you don't develop the mental stamina to commit on lead when you're seconding all the time.

being able to pull the moves is more than half the game ie: if you know you can crank .11's on a TR, pullin down on .6's and .7's is child's play, allowing you to think more about the protection while leading it. Soon you'll be comfortable mentally with leading the thing, which means you'll be looking at that .9 with a gleam in your eye and an itch to send it. Let it happen and it will.

Perhaps i may make a suggestion to equal out the lead/follow time for your special circumstances? ---no nookie that night unless you've lead 1/2 or more of the pitches for a day of climbing. That should get you a willing b-layer.Wink

<aside>
is the rockwarrior's way forum still around? you might find some good tips on the mental game there...
</aside>

foodlovur

Dec 17, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #99 of 117 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Climbing Grades And Dating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funny. isn't there some policy prohibiting cross-references to other forums?

roseraie

Dec 27, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #100 of 117 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, I made it through the whole thread, which entitles me to add my two cents:

So, I used to be of the school that sings "I don't care how hard he climbs."

Then I dated one non-climber who WANTED to climb, one total n00b, and one guy who is just a little below my own level.

And now, I admit, I WANT TO DATE SOMEONE WHO CLIMBS HARDER THAN ME (or at least at the same damned level)!

I got so sick of being the ropegun, of belaying someone who was pissed off and frustrated, of inefficient belay turnovers on multipitch, of ALWAYS USING MY GEAR. (Of mingling racks with someone who owns only *gasp* Rock Empire cams... blehhh...) There was a lot of emotional turmoil, of my boyfriend being angry because he couldn't do something I could, of me being bitter that I didn't get in as much climbing in a day as I'd have liked.

I think it does come down, a bit, to women wanting to feel like the have big strong men to take care of them. It's the same reason most women won't date guys shorter than them. I think women inherently want to feel protected, and not getting that feeling, for a lot of us, creates strain on a relationship. Hell, as much as I don't want to be a girly girl, I'd definitely cook dinner and do the dishes for someone who'd ropegun 5.11 cracks for me.

So yes... I've changed my song, I think at this stage I *do* care how hard the guys I date climb. I'm NOT teaching n00b boyfriends how to climb anymore... it's just too much stress on a relationship.

(Oh yeah, and one last thought, I could date someone who climbed way harder than me, as long as we didn't always... or even usually... climb together. I'll never understand the 5.10 gal, 5.13 guy pairs who insist on climbing together all the time. Date, but don't be climbing partners, it's such a simple solution.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook