Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

natrajk

Dec 10, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #51 of 68 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BIGcrazy] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This one is not really a climbing prank, but I think it is funny anyway.

A friend of mine wanted to take the rock in pack prank one step further. When a friend of him went on a 4-5 day long ski trip with two other people, he hid some of his friends favorite books (and we're talking about some big and heavy books) in the bottom of his pack. The poor guy discovered the books on the first day of the trip, but didn't want to throw them away, so he had to carry them for the rest of the trip.

dan2see

Dec 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #52 of 68 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natrajk] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This was my first sport lead ever! My climbing buddy was my guide to this crag. Well this guy is really great about route-finding, and today he is my belayer, too.

So I found two routes in the guide-book, 5.4 bolted every 8 meters.

"No Dan", he said, "it's that slab over there". OK, up I went over there.

But boy! these climbs were awfully sketchy for the grade. The foot-holds were only so-so, and there were no positive hand-holds at all. Kinda scary, I thought.

On the hike out, I realized that he had led us to the wrong slab (how was I to know?) the grade was actually 5.7!

Phew!, so I'll never know if that was a prank. But thanks guys for the tips, I'll get him back this spring.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Dec 10, 2006, 11:07 PM)

nevenneve

Dec 11, 2006, 9:54 AM
Post #53 of 68 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Before I knew about the multiple posters, I skipped a couple clips on an overhanging routes so that I could cut my feet and slam the beer I had in my pocket about the time my belayer was screaming at me I was going to die. The same day I dropped him 50 ft. from the anchors leaving us both 20 ft. in the air kick boxing.

On the more harmless side: turtling multiple pad wearing boulderers walking single file, clipping the leaders haul loop to the anchor with an extended sling, signing the traddie in your life up for urban climber, burning the face to a climbing movie onto the top of a less innocent film, refusing to come down when your friend from the climbing gym is belaying you. alka seltzer in the dws chalk bag, self belaying yourself up the climb while your buddy is top roping, soloing past the leader, rapping down an unsent project to (on bolts or placed nuts) adorn the route with oversized thong panties, I could go on and on and on.

devils_advocate

Dec 11, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #54 of 68 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natrajk] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

natrajk wrote:
A friend of mine wanted to take the rock in pack prank one step further. When a friend of him went on a 4-5 day long ski trip with two other people, he hid some of his friends favorite books (and we're talking about some big and heavy books) in the bottom of his pack. The poor guy discovered the books on the first day of the trip, but didn't want to throw them away, so he had to carry them for the rest of the trip.

I guarantee that I would not be the one carrying the books back. I further guarantee that I would still have my books at the end of the trip.

phase_nine

Dec 11, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #55 of 68 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While partner is gripped and sketchin up something they haven't done, yelling "Careful, you're off route!"

Kinda stupid, eh?

natrajk

Dec 11, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #56 of 68 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devils_advocate wrote:
natrajk wrote:

I guarantee that I would not be the one carrying the books back. I further guarantee that I would still have my books at the end of the trip.

hehe, well the problem was that the guy who did it wasn't on the trip himself, so he could'nt force anyone to carry them.. :-)

I'm not sure why he didn't just throw them away. I'd definately just throw them away and make the guy who did it buy new ones... Perhaps it was schoolboks with notes in them or something?? Unimpressed

:-)

ajkclay

Dec 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #57 of 68 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [porcelainsunset] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all of the above... although the rock in the bottom of the pack is a new and funny one that will happen tomorrow heh heh Wink

Another one done to me was two friends climbing a Trad route towards the end of the night; one led it placing gear then lowered and pulled the rope through... the second guy led on pre-placed and then lowered.

They asked me if I wanted to go up so one of them could follow and remove the gear. I agreed but when I got to the last piece the "friend" belaying me refused to pay out any more slack so I could not top out, demanding that I downclimb and clean the route in the dark!

Very funny - for them. Unsure

Adam

moditup

Dec 12, 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #58 of 68 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clipping your rope into your protection using those "Not for Climbing" toy carabiners and watching for your follower's response.

Winner so far: Alka Seltzer in DWS chalk bag. HA!

sizzlechest

Dec 12, 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #59 of 68 (1001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Highlights include:

-leading 5.5 X slab in rollerblades (7 pitches)
-placing a dead fish under my buddies tent in J-Tree (can you say "Coyotes")
-sending the buddies on a super high ball tour wearing a suit that all the buddies pick out from good will "think 1970's"
-leading a crack on rubber chickens
-climbing chapel pond slab in "crab walk position"
-mixed climbing debauchery - setting up a lawn chair off the drytool then sitting in it, my buddy Ben is famous for doing this on the hardest testpieces in the rockies.
-filling my friends chalkbag with millipedes @ the gunks
- going the gym and chucking off the top of the lead wall, and then skimming the ground, this usually sends the nOObs packing.
-adding rocks to my friends pack before the "bugaboo" approach!

Sly

spulver

Dec 12, 2006, 1:31 AM
Post #60 of 68 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phase_nine] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Swap out a carabiner in one of their quickdraws with one of those keychain carabiners.
This actually turns out to not be funny if they whip on it.

Dec 12, 2006, 2:16 AM
Post #61 of 68 (967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flying_dutchman] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
stash some beer in your partners pack, then offer him one on the summit after retrieving it while hes not looking.

Wasn't that from a Clint Eastwood movie?

madscientist

Dec 12, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #62 of 68 (945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flying_dutchman] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flying_dutchman wrote:
stash some beer in your partners pack, then offer him one on the summit after retrieving it while hes not looking.

I have hidden a whole six pack in a partners pack. We hiked in about 20 minutes to do some sport climbing, then at the end of the day another friend said "Wouldn't a beer be nice right now?" After the whole group agreed, I started throwing everything out of my partners pack and retrieved the six-pack from the bottom.

wyrdrocks

Dec 12, 2006, 3:42 AM
Post #63 of 68 (928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's an oldie but a goodie.
Setup and anchor on the ground and clip your partner into it. When they get about 5 feet off, they get pulled back.
Extend to 10+ feet for more fun.

foreverabumbly

Dec 12, 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #64 of 68 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wyrdrocks] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not climbing, but whenever someone new comes white water kayaking witjh us, we not only put rocks in their boats, but also undo the plug hole in the back of the boat, so not only are they paddleing heavy they are waterlogged too.

When I instruct I tell my group its my first day and that im just on work experience, when they just start their abeil, I ask the person next to me if the setup was safe, then shrug and say I guess we will find out. We also run a giant flying fox near a pine forest, just after they jump, I hold out the end of a rope and scream "NO, WAIT!" I also tell them that we plant a tree in memory for every person we kill.

foreverabumbly

Dec 12, 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #65 of 68 (889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [foreverabumbly] Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and then there is the favourite, When the clients ask if you have climbed that route, how often you climb etc, look at them with disbelief, shake your head, say "are you crazy, people die doing this shit!" then walk away muttering.

While belaying, constantly ask which end of the rope is the break end, or call out "on belay, climb when ready, just dont fall"

coloredchalker

Dec 12, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #66 of 68 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ihategrigris] Re:Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ihategrigris wrote:
onsight_endorphines wrote:
LOL...pretty good...

Gotta laugh at storing the friend's rope on batteries too. Oh well.

I particularly like the zipping the chalkbag shut...or putting rocks in it...post. I gotta try that.

Instead of rocks try putting little bits of that pink fibreglass insulation stuff in they're chalk bag. Ouch!
Better yet take some glass peices and drop them in there, its like camoflage and all. You could bust up that beer bottle you were drinking out of right before your buddy roped up. He'd never suspect.

endercore

Dec 12, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #67 of 68 (833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coloredchalker] Re:Climbing pranks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nothing like clipping your buddy to the first bolt with a gri-gri

and i've done the drainplug thing in a boat all the time

Partner epoch

Dec 12, 2006, 3:16 PM
Post #68 of 68 (821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recipe for fun. It never gets old, is harmless, and the effects last a long time. The thing is you'll never know you've been had until it's too late.

1 pack of Kool Aid
1 pair of shoes (climbing shoes are fun, but approach shoes are good. You can hit your partner with it while they are climbing...)

Anyways. Pour some Grape/lime/fruit puch/other colorful flavor into thier shoes. The sweat from thier feet becomes the activator and turns thier feet said color. Effects last about a week.

It is an ongoing thing amongst my circle of climbing partners. Which reminds me... It's my turn for paybacks.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook