RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

berglatori

Dec 11, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 11 (600 views)
Shortcut

Climbing on Campus
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I go to a large state university with no climbing anywhere nearby. I've been thinking about climbing on large fountains and other structures found around campus but I don't have a crash pad yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing this, and whether or not it would be worth it. Thanks

bandycoot

Dec 11, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 11 (574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [berglatori] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buildering can get you strong...

http://www.geocities.com/s1nelson2000/buildering.html

You're only limited by your imagination! The web site above only scratches the surface of the problems we've put up. The best so far is a feature on a building about 100' long that can be climbed one of four ways: chimney, sqeeze chimney, tight stem, or full on lieback. There are no holds. Bouldering we've found hand cracks that top out in roofs, fingers, off fingers, face problems galore, heinous chimenys and offwidths, aretes, corners, wild dynos, and more. Go explore.

Josh

deschamps1000

Dec 11, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #3 of 11 (571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We had a good 25 problems at James Madison University. Get creative, keep an eye out while going to class, and ONLY go at night so that you don't get harrassed.

I found the key to having fun was to find problems that actually top out. They are harder to find but do exist.

devils_advocate

Dec 12, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #4 of 11 (528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that guy in the chimney on TR or can you protect it somehow?

bandycoot

Dec 12, 2006, 6:33 AM
Post #5 of 11 (480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No pro. That's why it's 5.5 X and says the rope is only for getting down. I think I'm trying that one out thursday. It's pretty solid in there, just don't screw up!

Josh

sigep_rockstar

Dec 12, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #6 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

steall a mattress out of the dorms....better than nothing, be careful buildering cause most people in authority dont care for it

kylethemonkey

Dec 12, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #7 of 11 (407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I haven't tried this I've heard the you can take on a building chimney with a 2x6 cut slightly longer than the chimney width. Drill a hole in the middle and tie into the 2x6. If you need to take prop the board above you with the lower side resting in a brick grove.

Also check out http://www.buildering.net/

ebonezercabbage

Dec 13, 2006, 1:15 PM
Post #8 of 11 (357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My college didn't have any real good climbing "close" (close being less than half an hour away), but they did have an awesome horseshoe shaped natural rock waterfountain. I spent a lot of my time traversing that in my free time between or afterclasses when it was turned off. What was great about that was you could make it as easy or as hard as you want. No crash pad required cause your feet never really got more than 3 feet off the ground (it wasn't very high). If you can climb it, do it. Don't rule out the buildings for a little urban climbing, but stick to doing that at night, otherwise you get arrested or fined.

carabiner96

Dec 13, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #9 of 11 (307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebonezercabbage wrote:
My college didn't have any real good climbing "close" (close being less than half an hour away), but they did have an awesome horseshoe shaped natural rock waterfountain. I spent a lot of my time traversing that in my free time between or afterclasses when it was turned off. What was great about that was you could make it as easy or as hard as you want. No crash pad required cause your feet never really got more than 3 feet off the ground (it wasn't very high). If you can climb it, do it. Don't rule out the buildings for a little urban climbing, but stick to doing that at night, otherwise you get arrested or fined.

Because it's legal to climb otherwise off-limits buildings as long as it's night. ;)

bigfatrock

Dec 13, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #10 of 11 (288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look for large retaining walls in town too. We have one in my town we boulder one. It's a slightly positive slope, but nice high ball. It's pretty easy to establish lots of lines. We have about three already. The particular wall is made out of flagstones embeded in concrete. I might post some pics after the next time we go out.

ebonezercabbage

Dec 13, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #11 of 11 (284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Climbing on Campus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
ebonezercabbage wrote:

Because it's legal to climb otherwise off-limits buildings as long as it's night. ;)

if the cops cant see ya, they cant write the ticket ;)

Which is how "The Naked Climb" started at my school.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook