Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sepulker

Dec 20, 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #1 of 48 (5967 views)
Shortcut

BEDROOM BOULDERING
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just came up with a fun idea. You guys think this will work?

http://www.abiscus.com/...homegym/homegym1.htm

-Nate

bues0022

Dec 20, 2006, 5:36 AM
Post #2 of 48 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sepulker] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like you have more vertical room and a cool slant to the ceiling, why only 6.5 feet tall? It looks like a fun project though, as long as you have the adequate permission (landloard, parents, wife....whoever actually owns the place you live at)

czo

Dec 20, 2006, 5:47 AM
Post #3 of 48 (5925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting idea layout, I like your overlays to give a good idea of where it would go. I'd make it higher from the ground (wouldn't want to smack your head into a low hanging mega-big hold or something). Also, I'm betting the room-side edge of the roof needs more supports, which somewhat mars the aesthetics of the design.

stevenosloan

Dec 20, 2006, 7:16 AM
Post #4 of 48 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it'd be cool if you could loft your bed on top of the wall,
anywho, i'm not sure about the connection w/ the doorway, w/ no supports on the open side of the wall's roof there is going to be a lot of stress on the supports to either end of the wall [sorry that makes no sense]

tribaltalon

Dec 20, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 48 (5714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevenosloan] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah why only 6.5 feet tall? if you have the available room you should make it as tall as possible. you dont have to move your bed, it can double as a crashpad! Cool

sepulker

Dec 20, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #6 of 48 (5671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tribaltalon] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good questions!

1. I live in an apartment and I am not allowed to tap into the walls for support. Support can only come from the discrete pullup bar which has a rating for 400lbs. That way my landlord has nothing to worry about.

2. The height is limited to 6 1/2 feet because that is the height of the door frame minus the beam. I could shape the beam so that it angles up and then back down... but by doing so it might weaken it. Also, if I angled it into some type of "roof" structure, then any force i applied to the middle would push the left support away from me, and I don't want any shearing. I figured square means solid. Also, my heater is lining the wall behind it and I want the heat to escape) and not warp the whole thing) These are just my quick thoughts... any more ideas on this?

3. I went to home depot and I can put my whole weight against the long edge of a 2 by 5 1/2 inch board. I think two or more of those solid boards will be enough to eliminate the need for any supports in the area facing the room.

4. The picture of my room are two photos i pasted together... they're not exactly precise. My ceiling doesn't have a slant, sorry :)

Thanks guys! Keep them coming!

-Nate

tribaltalon

Dec 20, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #7 of 48 (5656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wouldnt even mess with using the door frame. just make a totally free standing structure using the max height you can use. that's what i'd do if i didnt run a rock climbing gym and basically have my own rock wall for personal use. Cool

dbrayack

Dec 20, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #8 of 48 (5649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What elements are you you using for your Abaqus model?

I'd check for dynamic loading and be weary of overturning.

onsight_endorphines

Dec 20, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #9 of 48 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks nice, & looks like a lot of fun.

In reply to:
1. I live in an apartment and I am not allowed to tap into the walls for support. Support can only come from the discrete pullup bar which has a rating for 400lbs. That way my landlord has nothing to worry about.

Something you may want to consider...

I bolted a fairly serious workbench to my (new & expensive) apartment wall once, using 6" lag bolts. The bench was 2x4 frame, 3/4" plywood top, about 3' x 11' & 150lbs. It was in the lease contract that the apartment could be modified, as long as it was returned to its original condition on or before the move-out date!!! Specific examples listed were 1). Carpet 2). Paint 3). Furniture. This is the standard, generic form used in Texas for nearly all apartment lease contracts. That line is in there, and it's real ; )

I was expecting the apartment manager to raise all kinds of hell about the bench, which he did. But I explained to him carefully... "Well...the main reason that I decided to rent here, was because the contract said that I could build stuff" or something to that effect. It worked really well & he left me alone.

$7.00 of spackle & spraypaint was all that it took to fix the holes before I left.

(This post was edited by onsight_endorphines on Dec 20, 2006, 5:11 PM)

sepulker

Dec 20, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #10 of 48 (5609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onsight_endorphines] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Abaqus model? Ouu a new word I haven't heard before. Now were getting somewhere... what does it mean? I hope your talking about simulation software because I havent started researching them yet Smile

2. Earlier I was thinking of building a workbench so I could mount a small lathe to it for making laser diode parts and whatnot. I asked if I could mount such a thing to the beams in the wall and I got a definitive "Absolutely not." but I can always read the fine print in the lease. I live in a complex so it might be harder to pull off. I can't even change by blinds on the windows. I'll get back to you about this though.

3. I can only use that section of the room. If I built a free standing structure, wouldn't I have to support it with corner braces? The problem with this is that I need to get into my closet, and my bathroom is right next to the closet (not in picture) and they would be blocked by the braces??. However, I could make the far left support go all the way up to the ceiling which would give me more surface area to climb. Then the ceiling would slope from 8 feet to 6 1/2 feet to the door. I'll look into this and get back to you.

Thanks!!

-Nate

onsight_endorphines

Dec 20, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #11 of 48 (5601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They will almost always tell you no, without researching it, if it's something out of the ordinary.

Laser diode parts? How cool. Expect a message from me...

dbrayack

Dec 20, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #12 of 48 (5593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awww my bad, its a Finite Elements software, I saw the title of the link and figured you used it to design it...

andrewd

Dec 20, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #13 of 48 (5564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the link says abiscus doesn't it? Anyway, no need for software, a good statics book will do. Make it twice as wide as it is high as a rule of thumb. If you do so, you shouldn't really have to worry about any overturning moments. Also you can use sandbags or concrete filled 5 gallon buckets bolted to the base to lower the CG of the whole thing. If done correctly your pet elephant could campus on it with no problems.

dbrayack

Dec 20, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #14 of 48 (5560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewd] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewd wrote:
I think the link says abiscus doesn't it? Anyway, no need for software, a good statics book will do. Make it twice as wide as it is high as a rule of thumb. If you do so, you shouldn't really have to worry about any overturning moments. Also you can use sandbags or concrete filled 5 gallon buckets bolted to the base to lower the CG of the whole thing. If done correctly your pet elephant could campus on it with no problems.

You engineering nerd :)
Cool
-Danno

slhappy

Dec 20, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #15 of 48 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sepulker wrote:

3. I went to home depot and I can put my whole weight against the long edge of a 2 by 5 1/2 inch board.

It's a nomial 2x6 board...and actually 1 1/2 x 5 1/2.

andrewd

Dec 20, 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #16 of 48 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Takes one to know one Danno!!!! Ha ha ha

To the guy making the wall
No but seriously after i posted i went back and looked at the drawings on that site and am a little concerned with the bracing represented in the drawings. However I noticed a note at the top of the page that said something about X bracing and some variation of that type of support is a good idea. I would highly recommend looking online at common wall construction and or get a book that helps you design free standing structures out of wood. The last thing you need is this poorly supported wall crashing down on you mid dyno. Think right triangles!

Hope that helps and sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know!
-Andrew

sepulker

Dec 20, 2006, 8:44 PM
Post #17 of 48 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewd] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny how I've noticed a trend; a lot of climbers are engineers. It must do with the problem solving aspect...

1. I've used Finite Element software, but only for electromagnetics. Abiscus is my personal website, aka The Museum of Abiscus... if should give you an idea of how strange I reallyam...
http://www.abiscus.com

2. The sketch does not show the bracing I am going to use. I'll make a drawing in AutoCAD or something over Christmas break. (BTW, I work for the Naval Undersea Warfare Center where we make the equipment that goes on US subs. I would have figured the government would give more time off then just Christmas day itself! Ah well) Also, I'm probably going to stick to the idea of not using any other part of the room for support.

3. I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical one... but as far as I know, X bracing reduces skewing, straight bracing reduces lateral movement. I'm just using my common sense so anything you guys suggest can only help me!

I'll add some revised ideas when I have more time

-Nate

sepulker

Dec 22, 2006, 3:42 AM
Post #18 of 48 (5356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And it begins!

Partner blazesod

Dec 22, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #19 of 48 (5337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sepulker wrote:
Good questions!

1. I live in an apartment and I am not allowed to tap into the walls for support. Support can only come from the discrete pull-up bar which has a rating for 400lbs. That way my landlord has nothing to worry about.
<snip>

Good idea build an indoor wall
Bad idea support it with a pull-up bar

If you are going to build inside your apartment and cannot use the walls, make your structure able to support itself- Free standing.

Here is a good link for building climbing walls at home:
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/climbing_walls.html

Cheers,
Dave :)

sepulker

Dec 28, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #20 of 48 (5181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blazesod] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave,

I took your advice and made the thing psuedo-free-standing. The vertical loading has its own supports now.

I'm half way done building... check it out!

mr_mike

Dec 28, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #21 of 48 (5128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats looking pretty good so far.
have you got much ventilation in your room because there could be a lot of chalk flying around from that

sepulker

Dec 28, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #22 of 48 (5092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr_mike] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an air filterer. Maybe i'll build it into a stalactite Smile

Partner mr8615

Dec 28, 2006, 9:44 PM
Post #23 of 48 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what happens when engineers try to dabble in carpentry! Dude, just reframe the room inside of itself (real framing, 16" centers, etc) and brace from that for your angles. Come on, it's no where near that complicated.

sepulker

Dec 29, 2006, 5:26 AM
Post #24 of 48 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] BEDROOM BOULDERING [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Negative criticism man. Your parents must have donated a lot for you to get into Virginia Tech, and done even more for you to graduate with an engineering degree... unless you're a technician, in which case you don't even count as a person.

bues0022

Dec 29, 2006, 5:56 AM
Post #25 of 48 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey now... no need for harshing techs. As an engineer, I've come to really respect some of the techs I've worked with. Sure they don't have all the formal training, but they still contribute good ideas, and are able to DO THINGS. (so many engineers I graduated with couldn't thread a nut on a bolt if their lives depended on it)

Anyway, I checked your progress again tonight, it's looking really cool. The center section should prove challenging when attempting to go from one side all the way across. Keep updating your site!

One question, in your original design you have a 45 degree overhang on the left side. Are you keeping this still even with the stalagtite? Just got to thinking that by the time that angle is in, you may be running into your center stuff so you may not have a horizontal roof over on the left. Maybe that's not a big deal, but just something I thought of.

(This post was edited by bues0022 on Dec 29, 2006, 6:02 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook