RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

alpinestar

Dec 21, 2006, 9:23 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1010 views)
Shortcut

Mountenering in Pakistan.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

A friend and me are planning to go to Pakistan in the summer of 2007. We are going to the North West Frontier Providence. Any one have information on how safe that is?

Any one have recommendations to companies that will arrange logistics permits.

We are going to try a new route on this:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/152872/buni-zom.html

Any info would be appriciated..

swede

Dec 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #2 of 13 (995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinestar] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, NWFP is the area pakistani troop and police normally avoids due to that the tribals donīt really acknowledge pakistani rule of the area. It is also the area there the talibans are guests. But Chitral was previously a "safe" bet.

I do not know if the Fieldings Guide "The World Most Dangerous Places" are still printed, but if you can get your hands on even an old copy it will be well worth reading.

Please read travel advice at for example the UK Foreign Office site, www.fco.gov.uk, "Much of Baluchistan, rural Sindh and the North West Frontier Province, including the Federally-Administered Tribal Areas and Agencies, have a high incidence of lawlessness."

Basically, NWFP and safe should not be in the same sentence. That is not to say that you canīt have a wonderful trip to this area (including coming back alive), but there are less than 10 places on the earth that are more risky.

akicebum

Dec 22, 2006, 8:21 AM
Post #3 of 13 (956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In general I think Pakistan is one of the more safe regions to visit in Asia. Nepal has issues with maoists and Tibet/China are super f'd up as well. I'll be in the either the Karakoram or Khumbu next fall, and I have no real worries. Bun whatever looks like a good objective and should be a lot of fun. Be safe and have a good time.

mattyp

Dec 22, 2006, 8:41 AM
Post #4 of 13 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it's probably a bad idea to go anywhere in western Pakistan. In my opinion as a soldier currently in Afghanistan on the border of western Pakistan, it's a safehaven for Taleban, HIG, JI, and a bunch of other islmanic extremists. Stay out of western Pakistan unless it's your home sweet home. Try heading out east towards the real mountains.

yves

Dec 27, 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #5 of 13 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattyp] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi ,

As it has been said by Swede, you should absolutely go to the UK site. They are quite up-to-date on the country especially as far as the security is concerned. All that he has written is pretty good including the Tribal areas.

Notwithstanding what has been written, is clear that Pakistan is not the safest place to climb however it is far better than other place and I am sure you can enjoy yourself.

You cannot compare as it has been written here Karakorum or Khumbu and the NWFProvince [not Providence]: they are thousand kms apart and people do not even speak the same language. I agree that Chitral and its area are usually safe, but if you are aiming at Tirich Mir (?), you need to be updated by "professionnals" and double check.

NWFP has a part which is almost lawless and where even the Pakistan forces are not going and it is the one which is north of the road which goes through Peshawar to Afghanistan.

However, I would think that Talibans are usually not going as high north and as high in the mountains, but better safe than sorry and double-check with professionnals, embassies or prof. guides association in Europe [France/Chamonix, Switzerland, Austria] ... check with your own embassy in Islamabad , if you have one ...

Just FYI , I have not climbed in NWFP (Province and not Providence), but have been living one year in Pakistan (Balouchistan), travelled in all the regions except Punjab and taken part in an expedition on Nanga Parbat (in the nineties). I have also done some time in Afghanistan more recently (2004).

I would have loved to go to Tirich Mir or in NWFP north and I am sure you will have a great time . However, make sure of these points . One last thing : make sure of the season. There is usually almost no monsoon on this region and you can climb in August or Sept , but make sure of that.

Have a great time , Yves.

mattyp

Dec 28, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #6 of 13 (845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to have to disagree.

In reply to:
However, I would think that Talibans are usually not going as high north and as high in the mountains

They are up north. I have a guy here with me that had several firefights with the Taliban that had come across the border from all over the NWF. The Pakistanin ISI (Intel and security service) and border guard is in cahoots with all of the radical muslim fighters in Pakistan, thus making the border region a safe haven for them. You won't find them trying to ascend a peak along side of you, but you're going to have to travel through Taliban controlled areas. That is bad news for non-muslim westerners. I'd stick to the eastern part of Pakistan for the time being.

that is just my two cents. I have been in Afghanistan on the border with Pakistan for 18 of the past 23 months.

mattyp

Dec 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #7 of 13 (812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just found this travel advisoy that was issued on 5 December 2006(just three weeks ago) from the US Department of State regarding travel to Pakistan.

http://travel.state.gov/...pa_tw/tw/tw_930.html

I know that not all of you are American, but your country of origin doesn't change the situation there. It goes without saying, know what you are getting into no matter where you go in the world.
Good luck!

Partner alexmac

Dec 29, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 13 (785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mattyp wrote:
I just found this travel advisoy that was issued on 5 December 2006(just three weeks ago) from the US Department of State regarding travel to Pakistan.

http://travel.state.gov/...pa_tw/tw/tw_930.html

I know that not all of you are American, but your country of origin doesn't change the situation there. It goes without saying, know what you are getting into no matter where you go in the world.
Good luck!

It does not matter if your american or other, a blond dude in a gun site don't matter.

majid_sabet

Dec 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #9 of 13 (768 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by majid_sabet [In reply to]
Report this Post

mattyp

Dec 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #10 of 13 (752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, that sounds a little like Rambo 3.

alpinestar

Jan 2, 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #11 of 13 (698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm ok, dosent sound like the safest area, I did read up on the UK site. I was thinking, if we book through a pakistan company, if that would help us? We have contacted a few companies for taking care of logistics. We want to try Buni Zom, seen here on the left:

wanderlustmd

Jan 2, 2007, 1:22 PM
Post #12 of 13 (692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go. Just too unsettled. Hasn't Bin Laid would not be happy to see you. Not to say things won't improve in a few years (look at Vietnam), but I personally would rather climb in many other places before Pakistan.

Go to Alaska or Peru. Not the same, I know, but at least you'll have much less to worry about in terms of the country's stability.

dellochef

Jan 2, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #13 of 13 (675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Mountenering in Pakistan. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey out there

I've just spent one month in the north of pakistan. it's so damn great and so lonely. What does not aply for nepal for example. Its true, the region near to the afghani border (hindukush) is not as safe as switzerland but the rest (karakorum, baltoro region) is safe and relaxed. There are so many f* great peaks to be done. Like Laila, rakaposhi, trivor or shisper and many more. Sadly i cant give you the adress of a reliable travel companion.

Have fun. Visit rockandice.ch.vu

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook