Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #26 of 38 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [merock] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The reason I went with Nikon is that I tend to beat the crap out of my stuff and from what I read, Nikon takes the abuse much better than Canon. Heck, I had the D70 for two years, and only had to send it in to be fixed once....thats amazing. (and the fixed it free too!)

merock

Nov 27, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #27 of 38 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cam] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cam wrote:
merock wrote:
just trying to see if the person that has diarrhea of the mouth has good work to back it up. At least then I might consider what you were saying to have some validity.

So, if my work blows, then I'm wrong. If it's good, then I'm slightly less that wrong? And you called MY logic into question?

Cool how partial quoting can make you look like the smart guy. I think you forgot this part "Although even if you had me floored with your photography, I still think brand bashing is lame."

cam wrote:
You must be a boulderer, no?

Uber lame. I do it all.

cam wrote:
*sigh* Well, since we're taking things so literally 'round here these days I'll re-phrase that...I think that Canon should be considered as a viable alternative amonst other, such esteemed choices. There, how's that?

much better and more diplomatic...... how'd it feel?

cam wrote:
It's been nice fishing with you, merock. There's always a biter in every thread. Well, the weekends over. Back to reality.

And there's always bigger fish in the sea.....Laugh Good times!

hangerlessbolt

Nov 28, 2006, 8:59 AM
Post #28 of 38 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [merock] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikon D80

deadhorse

Nov 29, 2006, 1:48 PM
Post #29 of 38 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hangerlessbolt] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same boat as the OP. One thing that made me really lean back in towards the D50 is Ken Rockwells reviews (head to head) of the d50 d70 d70s d80 d200 and 20d. He makes the very real point that to double MP rating, one (manufacturer) must only increase the pixel dimensions by 40%. That is the 6MP of the D50 and D70 is really not dwarfed at all by the 10MP of the D80/D200/20D. As far as I am concerned this argument is very similiar to the argument for modern supersport motorcycles. Everybody has their preference, but in all honesty, their just aren't any bad ones being put out by big names. I think it comes down to lense preference, and physical feel.
I loved the feel of my Nikon FM10, my Nikon F3, and loved how easily and cheaply I could get lenses. (a 20mm sigma for $20.) I got big hands, so Nikon is for me.

feanor007

Nov 29, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #30 of 38 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

second on rockwell's website. some one on this site recomended it, forget who, and it was AMAZING especially for a camera noob like me.

guangzhou

Nov 30, 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #31 of 38 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feanor007] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

feanor007 wrote:
second on rockwell's website. some one on this site recomended it, forget who, and it was AMAZING especially for a camera noob like me.

His site is the butt end of real photogrpaher's jokes. He gives the worsed advice. checkout luminouslandscape for good info

notforclimbing

Dec 3, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #32 of 38 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i wanna repeat my question..

in which temperatures dslr - D70 or D50- still works, especially for cold temps?

deadhorse

Dec 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #33 of 38 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notforclimbing] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah I forgot REAL photographers live in a separate existence entirely.
Seriously though, Whether or not the guy (rockwell) is a great photog doesn't really matter. He has a vast array of information, collection of facts, and important considerations. Articles like his "Megapixel Myth" are very helpful for people looking to buy their first DSLR, and they are entirely objective, so it's sort of hard to say that he's whack.
[One thing from that article that surprised me, although I could have come to the same conclusion if I had done the math, is that it only takes a 40% increase in the dimensions of recorded pixels to DOUBLE the MP rating of a camera. So btw the D50 and D80 for instance, is less even than that]
Unless you're working with REALLY low temps I wouldn't worry about it, but i'm sure a Nikon rep would be able to tell you the real numbers. The only things that should be affected are the response times of the LCD (pretty irrelevant) and battery life will be tweaked too.

pico23

Dec 14, 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #34 of 38 (1362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought this was kinda an interesting stance.

6MP sensors are better as high ISO. 10MP offer more noise. 6MP is still selling strong.

Need proof?

Pentax was chided by every major magazine for putting out outdated 6MP sensors as new products. However, the product was new, the film wasn't, so to speak.

The sensor got better with each release because of the algorithms but the cost went down.

How did this help Pentax. Well Pentax is turning record profits, and while market share is still percentage points compared to Canikon's percentage it's gaining percentage.

Why?

The 6MP sensor is good. It's affordable, it's not old, the software and algorithms are brand new, and the in camera technology is better then what could be offered on a fresh 10MP sensored camera for that price.

Example. D80 $1000, K10D $900, XTi $850 (i think).

K100D about $650. With built in SR.

Ok now for your comment, (not to pick you out, actually, i see this all the time, people must have deep pockets are huge credit card debt).

$400 price difference on the D80/K10D. $400 = the very nice 16-45 f/4 DA lens. Or the 10-17 fisheye, or the 50mm 1.4 and 35mm f2. Or a chunk of the 14mm f/4 DA, 21mm DA, 12-24 f/4, etc.

Ok now the killer. The D40. If the 6MP sensor was old technology then why would Nikon try to compete with Pentax in the 6MP arena?

Because it's not old. It's smart. It offers a camera system to people on a budget that still offers extremely high photo quality at the sacrifice of pixel count. But with lower noise and better high ISO performance.

Nikon realized Pentax was soaking up market share and while nikon is solid second in market share it needs to be vigilant to keep that share.

On the flip side Pentax spent 2 years soaking up profits (the K100D is the best selling camera in europe and demand is backlogged for months, in asia there is a similar trend) so it was able to put out the K10D, the camare of the year and a whole new lens line. Seems like using old technology sometimes has it's advantages.

chanceboarder wrote:
I think the biggest thing you should think about with these two cameras is that they are already falling out of the realm of what is starting become the standard 10mp and up family of cameras, even in the low end consumer range. That's not to say that these cameras are not good but with digital you kinda have to think long term.

Jason

pico23

Dec 14, 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #35 of 38 (1355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonthorpe] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love these little statements.

I always have to correct this.

What does being a pro have to do with everyone else. I sell my work too, I shoot Pentax. Although, I don't consider myself a pro because I feel you need to pay your car payment and rent through photography to be a pro.

However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm not sure what your statement has to do with anything, including the price of tea in china.

See the K10D thread for a full run down of why Pentax isn't Nikon or Canon. And the advantages of such.

In terms of not being a pro. Canon service is the same as Pentax and Sony and Olympus, and Samsung for amatuers. Unless you are a member of Canon Professional Services.

Also, I love Canon arrogance. When Canon produces a professional medium format body and lens system send me an IM. I'll take a day off from work and kiss the ass of a canon rep.

And the most rediculuous statement of all. Is buy a mount that will stick around. Yeah, the k-mount hasn't stuck around.

Look, Canon and Nikon chose to go after the professional photojournalist market many years ago. Pentax said, do the LX see how it goes and but were sticking with Medium Format as our professional bodies. Minolta then was left with the only OTHER professional 35mm.

Minolta wasn't gone because it's cameras sucked, acutally they were quite good, they disappeared because they put all their eggs in APS and then were uber late to the digital game.

But I need to assure you, that in your Canon arrogance, there are several other excellent photographic companies out there that march to the beat of there own drum. Leica and Pentax come to mind right off the top of my head.

They produce well thought out bodies that are a pleasure to use. They produce excellent primes and unique lenses that Canon with there PJ oriented zooms don't bother to address.

So if you want to believe there is only one camera company out there, go for it. BUt looking at Canon over the last 2 years it's been stagnant.

On the flip side Pentax produced the camera of the year (for 2007), a whole new lens line, superb primes that rival Leica and Zeiss. And Pentax is makiing record profits, so seems like Pentax is not only creating a stir but doing quite well doing it.

jonthorpe wrote:
I wouldn't waste your money with the Pentax.

I say this as a pro photog who has been through the hoops when it came to choosing a system that worked best for me, and that I could grow on. Canon is the best option. More lenses, more accessories, the latest in innovation and has decent support. Nikon is close, but they are always behind on the development curve and dont offer quite the lens selection (still good though and Nikons do get the job done).

Pentax has made some fun cameras in the past, but don't go buying into a system that has no lens support. SURE you have those old K1000 lenses kickin', but what are they worth? not much. Also keep in mind that the old K mounts are not AF (unless KAF). After you invest a few grand in bodies and lenses you will like knowing that the mount and system will be around for awhile, and not end up in the bin like the Kodak and Fuji SLR's of yesterdays past.

Have fun with whatever system you choose. Do your homework and don't let a salesman sell you on a camera hes just trying to get off his shelf.

pico23

Dec 15, 2006, 7:31 AM
Post #36 of 38 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just let me know when you switch to Canon. I'll buy you a beer and I won't rub it in.

</RANT>

In reply to:
Another white lense for you
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...e=categoryNavigation

since thats more grey then white, how about this,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=70000

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/40736.jpg

(This post was edited by pico23 on Dec 15, 2006, 7:33 AM)

feanor007

Jan 2, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #37 of 38 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to follow up, i ended up getting the nikon d50 w/the standard 18-55 lens for christmas.

pico23

Jan 3, 2007, 6:33 AM
Post #38 of 38 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feanor007] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

feanor007 wrote:
to follow up, i ended up getting the nikon d50 w/the standard 18-55 lens for christmas.

My K10D arrived a few days ago. I love shooting at 1/25th second with a 75mm focal length. still figuring out the camera since the layout is both fimilar and completely different then the D. Larger camera, almost as heavy as the D with the vertical grip but the buttons seem smaller and more awkard. Of course I shot 15,000 frames in 9 months with the D which I became very familar.

There were complaints that ISO and WB didn't have dedicated buttons but it's unfounded. Adjusting basic controls involved hitting the Fn button then selecting WB, Flash, Shutter Drive, or ISO. Not sure a dedicated button would be any faster.

Full review to follow at some point.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook