Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

floating_bottle

Jan 2, 2007, 2:14 AM
Post #26 of 43 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [antigrav] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The study cited below does NOT support "drink all your water now", but it does support the idea that we don't drink adequately while exercising, i.e., evolution has NOT selected for "optimal" H2O intake while exercising - based on the outcome of maximal work output.

Aviat Space Environ Med. 1995 Aug;66(8):733-8.

To summarize the study: people perform better when forced to drink more water than they "think" they need. The outcome measured was work performed on an exercise bike after ad lib or forced water consumption.

If anyone wants the abstract of the article, it's below. If you don't want to read it. Stop now.

Heat acclimation (HA) and forced water intake (FWI) have both been found to improve the endurance of human subjects working in hot environments. Therefore, we studied the interaction between HA and FWI. Prior to any treatment (control, AI and BI) the subjects (n = 9) underwent a heat tolerance (HT) test. Thereafter, they were divided into two groups. The first (n = 5) were heat-acclimated (AII), underwent a second HT test, doubled their normal daily water intake for 1 week (AIII), and underwent a third HT test; the second group (n = 4) were subjected to the same protocol, except that the FWI came before and during HA (BII). It was found that both regimens (phases AII and BII) significantly increased work duration. Although the results of the two methods were similar, their combination somewhat lengthened work tolerance time (phases AIII, BIII). Maximal oxygen uptake did not change after HA (BII) or FWI (AII), but the maximal values were attained at significantly lower heart rates, both after BII alone or combined with HA (BIII). In an additional experiment, the time needed to "ride" 15 km on a bicycle ergometer was reduced by 10% after FWI as compared to control time.
Aviat Space Environ Med. 1995 Aug;66(8):733-8

reno

Jan 2, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #27 of 43 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
Hmmm, how did you end up 7 hrs+ from decending with only a quart of water between three people is the first question. How much water did you haul up when you started and was there a water source along the way ?

You've never climbed Sharkstooth, have you?

Partner alexmac

Jan 2, 2007, 3:00 AM
Post #28 of 43 (1166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:
Hmmm, how did you end up 7 hrs+ from decending with only a quart of water between three people is the first question. How much water did you haul up when you started and was there a water source along the way ?

What does that matter, was trying to find out why they did not plan ahead.

Anyway, I thought about it, better to divide their drinking water when they woke up in the morning.

Partner blazesod

Jan 2, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #29 of 43 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carry water in you body not on your body.

jabtocrag

Jan 2, 2007, 3:44 AM
Post #30 of 43 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drrock] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drrock wrote:
Yeah where is jt? Calling Mr. 512.

While we wait for you, I will offer some ponderings. My buddy, while we were stupidly hiking (nearly stumbling) in 110 degree temps in Josh with only a liter of water between us, said, "the best place to carry water is in your stomach" and so we drank up. Since this was in 1997, it obviously wasn't a fatal decision. I have been thinking about this for the past decade however, as his statement stuck with me and I am not sure whether it's true or not. Certainly it's not universally true.

I think **it depends** on a couple things. If you are hydrated enough that your kidneys are still making urine, then you still have an extra source of water loss besides respiration and sweat. I think if you are very worried about dying of dehydration and still have your wits about you, the best thing to do would be to drink enough to walk the fine line between when your kidneys stop producing urine and you stop sweating and start to overheat. You can last a day or two, maybe more if you don't eat of lot of potassium, with kidneys that have essentially totally shut down. This should be recoverable/reversible if you are rescued or start to drink when able. However, if you stop sweating and get heat stroke or if you become so dehydrated your blood becomes viscous and you suffer a stroke or whatever, this is not as likely recoverable and you will not be able to be mobile to get out alive. If you develop temporary kidney failure but not heat stroke or other serious complication, you should survive.

This is not the same thing as being stuck out in the cold, but I think the same principles apply in theory. You should drink enough to stay alive and awake enough to get down of whatever you are on, but not enough to be producing buckets of urine and water losses. I am also not sure that drinking urine to preserve water, as suggested in some survival guides, is that useful. In addition to the water, you are consuming concentrated potassium and acids which you were supposed to be getting rid of.

So I would say, again as a pondering without much data, that you should drink to keep sweating and keep from passing out from dehydration, but not so much that you are having to urinate.

Flame away.

I think you hit it on the head. There isn't one generic answer to this, but in an extreme survival situation where H2O is scarce, you need to tow the line of staying just hydrated enough to function (body and mind). You sure don't want to run out of water before you absolutely have to, but you also don't want to be one of those people found dead of dehydration with a liter of water left in his nalgene!!

reno

Jan 2, 2007, 4:59 AM
Post #31 of 43 (1113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:

Don't dodge the question: Have you ever climbed Sharkstooth? A simple Yes or No will suffice.

miavzero

Jan 2, 2007, 6:03 AM
Post #32 of 43 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:

Anyway, I thought about it, better to divide their drinking water when they woke up in the morning.

alex,

I think we all understand the importance of proper planning and packing. Hopefully, the op and his friends learned from their experience.

most of us at one time or another will be put into a position where we must deal with unexpected/poorly anticipated consequences.

Partner alexmac

Jan 2, 2007, 1:28 PM
Post #33 of 43 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:

Don't dodge the question: Have you ever climbed Sharkstooth? A simple Yes or No will suffice.

Why is that related to drinking the water or not.

Partner alexmac

Jan 2, 2007, 1:31 PM
Post #34 of 43 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blazesod] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blazesod wrote:
Carry water in you body not on your body.

I think and this is a guess, its better for them to store the water until morning, as its minium effort to sleep and save the water for their max effort in the morning; thus keeping to store in the body but a bit later. then again not an expert.

ebonezercabbage

Jan 2, 2007, 2:17 PM
Post #35 of 43 (1066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clayman] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best advice i've read and heard is to drink your water normally until it is gone. It is important to stay hydrated and making clear rational decisions for as long as possible. It may be difficult to find water when you are no long capable of thinking clearly from being dehydrated.

Something to think about: I've heard that it is often that people find dead explorers in the desert who died from dehydration with WATER STILL IN THEIR BOTTLES. Often they find them less than 10 miles from a water source. If they had drank the water they had, the might have been "clear" enough to find that much needed water source.

P.S. I saw this on discovery. But a good way to stow dehdration and keep yourself cool in a hot environment would be to piss on a shirt and rap it around your head. It makes sense, but i've never had the chance to try it, as i spend more time worring about freezing to death than staying cool.

Partner alexmac

Jan 2, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #36 of 43 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebonezercabbage wrote:

P.S. I saw this on discovery. But a good way to stow dehdration and keep yourself cool in a hot environment would be to piss on a shirt and rap it around your head. It makes sense, but i've never had the chance to try it, as i spend more time worring about freezing to death than staying cool.

I saw the saem sort of thing, then mention that staying dressed to trap evaporating water to create a cool layer is better than no shirt, etc.

reno

Jan 2, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #37 of 43 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:

Because if you have, you'd understand why your statement is silly.

If you have not, that's fine.

Partner alexmac

Jan 2, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #38 of 43 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:

Because if you have, you'd understand why your statement is silly.

If you have not, that's fine.

I am sorry, does not matter if its the middle of ocean, Toronto, the desserts of Arizonia in the middle of July or any climb in the world, proper planning and water management is important.

The basic question was (even if they mentioned the place) drink all at night, save and sip for the entire day.

Seems everyone is agreed so far drink all, I merely suggest drink all at the start of the day and not drink at night.

The place

Partner drrock

Jan 2, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #39 of 43 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
Seems everyone is agreed so far drink all, I merely suggest drink all at the start of the day and not drink at night.

I disagree. You didn't read my post(s). I don't care if you do or don't read them but don't say we all agree. I think it depends a lot on an individual situation, but I would ration water based on the factors listed in my posts. I also agree with Mr. Milktoast in that I have a hard time drinking that last swallow until I can see my car. Stupid perhaps, but it's human nature. I have not been to survival school but I know a bit about medicine and kidney physiology.

reno

Jan 2, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #40 of 43 (992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:

No, not everyone is in agreement.

And you STILL haven't answered my question: Have you climbed Sharkstooth?

nedsurf

Jan 2, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #41 of 43 (976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clayman] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The US Army, in WWII tried water rationing in training to prepare to fight Rommel in N. Africa. It didn't go so well. Here is a URL from a quick google search. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/desert-3.php
I'll have to dig my old survival field manual out to see if the site really copies it.
Bottom line drink what you have normally; that is, at the rate to keep yourself hydrated. Don't drink so much you pee clear every five minutes..like at the bar. Hopefully get to more water soon.

htotsu

Jan 3, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #42 of 43 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:
alexmac wrote:

Reno, respectfully, you didn't answer his very simple question either. You answered it with a question. Those of us who have not climbed Sharkstooth might be interested in your explaining why having climbed it would exempt one from thinking it poor planning to be "7 hrs+ from decending with only a quart of water [among] three people" - I think he asked a reasonable question, and would like to know why you seem to think otherwise. Thanks.

Partner alexmac

Jan 3, 2007, 4:43 AM
Post #43 of 43 (910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] rationing water vs. drinking it all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:

Reno, respectfully, you didn't answer his very simple question either. You answered it with a question. Those of us who have not climbed Sharkstooth might be interested in your explaining why having climbed it would exempt one from thinking it poor planning to be "7 hrs+ from decending with only a quart of water [among] three people" - I think he asked a reasonable question, and would like to know why you seem to think otherwise. Thanks.

Respects, but I just ignored the question.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook