Yes 49 / 61%
80 total votes

ajkclay

Jan 29, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #1 of 103 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so there appears to be more controversy than I had expected surrounding what exactly constitues an onsight;

Do you think it can really be considered an onsight if you begin a route (take both feet off the starting point not considered to be part of the route) and return to that point with one or two feet, and then beginning the route again, completing it cleanly on a subsequent attempt?

Adam

(This post was edited by ajkclay on Jan 30, 2007, 12:28 AM)

jt512

Jan 29, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #2 of 103 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:
Ok, so there appears to be more controversy than I had expected surrounding what exactly constitues an onsight;

Do you think it can really be considered an onsight if you begin a route (take both feet off the starting point not considered to be part of the route) and return to that point with one or two feet for whatever reason, and then beginning the route again, completing it cleanly on a subsequent attempt?

Adam

Wording is biased toward a "no" response.

Jay

ajkclay

Jan 29, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 103 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm I was worried about that, wanna pm me something a little less biased? I'll edit it.

Cheers

Adam

devils_advocate

Jan 30, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #4 of 103 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about this:

A climber ascends the first half of a sport route, clipping draws on the way up. At this point the climber realizes that his spandex doesn’t match his quickdraws. The climber downclimbs, never weighing the rope, unties and goes to his car to put on his hot pink spandex to match the draws. After sticking a cucumber in his crotch to make his penis look bigger he returns to the climb, pulls the rope and sends it clean; clipping the pre-placed draws and placing above that point. Is it an onsight?

(This post was edited by devils_advocate on Jan 30, 2007, 12:22 AM)

caughtinside

Jan 30, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #5 of 103 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totally biased! return to the starting point for whatever reason? well, i fell! oops.

ajkclay

Jan 30, 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 103 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
totally biased! return to the starting point for whatever reason? well, i fell! oops.

gotcha :)

rokgot

Jan 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #7 of 103 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devils_advocate wrote:

...A climber ascends the first half of a sport route, clipping draws on the way up. At this point the climber realizes that his spandex doesn’t match his quickdraws. The climber downclimbs, never weighing the rope, unties and goes to his car to put on his hot pink spandex to match the draws. After sticking a cucumber in his crotch to make his penis look bigger he returns to the climb, pulls the rope and sends it clean; clipping the pre-placed draws and placing above that point...

you obviously seen Jay at New Jack last weekend Sly

caughtinside

Jan 30, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #8 of 103 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rokgot] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rokgot wrote:
devils_advocate wrote:

...A climber ascends the first half of a sport route, clipping draws on the way up. At this point the climber realizes that his spandex doesn’t match his quickdraws. The climber downclimbs, never weighing the rope, unties and goes to his car to put on his hot pink spandex to match the draws. After sticking a cucumber in his crotch to make his penis look bigger he returns to the climb, pulls the rope and sends it clean; clipping the pre-placed draws and placing above that point...

your obvious and continued humping of jay's leg is really quite impressive! do you fall asleep dreaming of witty insults that you'll post about your friend jt512?

dan2see

Jan 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #9 of 103 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:
Adam

OK, but you need two more items for your onsight poll:

o Yes
o No
o Maybe
o Who cares
o I don't know

This addition would bias each answer correctly.

PS Adam: We should arm-wrestle to settle if your mountains are more awesome than my mountains!

Partner angry

Jan 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #10 of 103 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll do one better.

Did I onsight Critics Choice in IC?

The first time I tried it was in May, I got about 8 feet up and realized I didn't have the gear and it was getting dark so I downclimbed.

I came back in October and sent it easily.

So I never weighted the rope, but I did not send it the first time I tied in to try it.

Not like it really matters. I've got a dozen other tainted onsights, they don't hurt my feelings.

ajkclay

Jan 30, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #11 of 103 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
ajkclay wrote:
Adam

OK, but you need two more items for your onsight poll:

o Yes
o No
o Maybe
o Who cares
o I don't know

This addition would bias each answer correctly.

PS Adam: We should arm-wrestle to settle if your mountains are more awesome than my mountains!

interesting that there seems to be the misapprehension here that this about pissing on trees etc....

I am merely pointing to an aspect of the terminology that appears to mean different things to different people and was wondering what the general consensus is.

I couldn't care less who climbs what, who's the best climber, has the best mountains or how many onsights they have, just what people all over the world consider an onsight.

Adam

rokgot

Jan 30, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #12 of 103 (2874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
rokgot wrote:
devils_advocate wrote:

your obvious and continued humping of jay's leg is really quite impressive! do you fall asleep dreaming of witty insults that you'll post about your friend jt512?

i have to hump his leg, your caughtinside his ass
...as i have previously stated

bill

dan2see

Jan 30, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #13 of 103 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:
I couldn't care less who climbs what, who's the best climber, has the best mountains or how many onsights they have, just what people all over the world consider an onsight.
Adam

Whoa Adam! I'm sorry I pissed you off, I was hoping to keep it light but I failed.

Maybe our conflict is in our point-of-view?

"What people all over the world consider an onsight" sounds like an exact definition of the word.

But really, a lot of guys I know don't use words like "flash", "on-sight" or "red-point". Well almost never. Sometimes somebody will use the word and the guy who did the climb will say "Yeah? Huh!" and then continue what-ever else he was doing.

Because Wink
Cool Climbing is what climbers do. Cool

As for who has the most awesome mountains: When I'm out there, it's hard to stop saying "Wow", and I bet you get the same feeling. It's really wonderful how folks can share such a useless sport and get so much enjoyment, don't you think?

tradrenn

Jan 30, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #14 of 103 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would depend on once standards.

If I down climb the hardest pitch then I don't call it "onsite". I will call it a "flash".

If I down climbed a 5.7 pitch, for whatever reason, just so I can onsite 5.9 on second pitch. I would still call it onsite cause the hardest pitch is where the fun is IMHO.

Onsite for me is:

1. No beta about the route ( except for guide book )
2. No down climbing it.
3. No use of artificial holds. ( grabbing pitons )
4. No touch of anchors until I'm clipped to them.

chalkfree

Jan 30, 2007, 2:15 AM
Post #15 of 103 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say it's onsight. Even in the case of the IC senario that somebody mentioned.

Partner angry

Jan 30, 2007, 2:37 AM
Post #16 of 103 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalkfree] Onsight Poll: Is it an onsight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about this? Do you remember when Yuji Hiriyama onsighted Sphinx Crack (13b)?

Rumor has it that he climbed to the roof (pumpy and wierd, but not the crux) wiggled in a tricam and downclimbed. Then he shook out for a bit and fired the route.

sidepull

Jan 30, 2007, 3:38 AM
Post #17 of 103 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devils_advocate wrote:
How about this:

A climber ascends the first half of a sport route, clipping draws on the way up. At this point the climber realizes that his spandex doesn’t match his quickdraws. The climber downclimbs, never weighing the rope, unties and goes to his car to put on his hot pink spandex to match the draws. After sticking a cucumber in his crotch to make his penis look bigger he returns to the climb, pulls the rope and sends it clean; clipping the pre-placed draws and placing above that point. Is it an onsight?

During the days of yore, I'm sure ye received more trophies per post than the entire kingdom.

sidepull

Jan 30, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #18 of 103 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I'll do one better.

The first time I tried it was in May, I got about 8 feet up and realized I didn't have the gear and it was getting dark so I downclimbed.

So I never weighted the rope, but I did not send it the first time I tied in to try it.

Not like it really matters. I've got a dozen other tainted onsights, they don't hurt my feelings.

Personally, if you told it to me it that way, I'd be fine with it. If you just said, "I onsighted it" and then later I found out the details I'd make a mental "spraylord" note. As you point out, at best it's a "tainted onsight" as is the example for the poll (although yours is more tainted).

Basically, if you have to ask, "is it an onsight if . . ." then you know there's something a bit off, so you'd better just describe what happened and let the tenuous glory of claiming an onsight be decided by those who choose to repeat your heroic deeds.

Of course, according to the poll, I'm in the minority (which doesn't mean much in a world where GB is president).Tongue

Partner philbox

Jan 30, 2007, 3:52 AM
Post #19 of 103 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so how's this scenario.

I step up to a climb and I climb it cleanly with no falls. Later someone reminds me that I have done this climb before. Does this constitute an Alzheimers onsight? Laugh

jt512

Jan 30, 2007, 3:54 AM
Post #20 of 103 (2752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
angry wrote:
I'll do one better.

Personally, if you told it to me it that way, I'd be fine with it. If you just said, "I onsighted it" and then later I found out the details I'd make a mental "spraylord" note. As you point out, at best it's a "tainted onsight" as is the example for the poll (although yours is more tainted).

Basically, if you have to ask, "is it an onsight if . . ." then you know there's something a bit off, so you'd better just describe what happened and let the tenuous glory of claiming an onsight be decided by those who choose to repeat your heroic deeds.

Of course, according to the poll, I'm in the minority (which doesn't mean much in a world where GB is president).Tongue

Take a look at the link I posted in the "Lame Redpoint Question" thread. This same question was discussed 10 years ago in rec.climbing. The majority then (most discussants were long-time trad climbers) was that angry's ascent was a clear, untainted on-sight. He didn't weight the rope; he didn't fall; he had no outside information of the route. One poster at made it clear, stating that a multi-day onsight is perfectly valid "even if it takes 15 years." Yuji Hirayama, Jim Erickson, and Steve Hong have all downclimbed to the ground and rested before completing routes, and claimed onsights without reservation.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 30, 2007, 4:01 AM)

shockabuku

Jan 30, 2007, 3:59 AM
Post #21 of 103 (2743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:

Do you think it can really be considered an onsight if you begin a route (take both feet off the starting point not considered to be part of the route) and return to that point with one or two feet, and then beginning the route again, completing it cleanly on a subsequent attempt?

Adam

Says it all for me. Not an onsight.

ajkclay

Jan 30, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #22 of 103 (2724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Take a look at the link I posted in the "Lame Redpoint Question" thread. This same question was discussed 10 years ago in rec.climbing. The majority then (most discussants were long-time trad climbers) was that angry's ascent was a clear, untainted on-sight. He didn't weight the rope; he didn't fall; he had no outside information of the route. One poster at made it clear, stating that a multi-day onsight is perfectly valid "even if it takes 15 years." Yuji Hirayama, Jim Erickson, and Steve Hong have all downclimbed to the ground and rested before completing routes, and claimed onsights without reservation.

Jay

actually, this was the stimulus for my question; I was really surprised to see so many experienced climbers espousing this viewpoint so I thought I'd give it a specific thread of its own...

granted I may have been a little ham-fisted in framing my question and defining my reason for asking, but I really am interested in everyone's opinions on this and not necessarily just finding a right or wrong answer... the Yuji Hirayama and co. case is really interesting and sheds light in a way I had not considered before...

Cheers

Adam

ajkclay

Jan 30, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #23 of 103 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:

I step up to a climb and I climb it cleanly with no falls. Later someone reminds me that I have done this climb before. Does this constitute an Alzheimers onsight? Laugh

Ha ha! I have wondered about this before too!

Adam

Partner philbox

Jan 30, 2007, 4:36 AM
Post #24 of 103 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ajkclay wrote:
philbox wrote:

Ha ha! I have wondered about this before too!

Adam

It's happening all too often these days. Laugh

Colin Carstenz on the other hand can give a blow by blow description from climbs he's done 15 or 20 years ago. Irks me no end. He'll be walking past a crack at Frog that someone is struggling on and he can immediately let them know exactly where to put their hand and foot. Me on the other hand .......

ajkclay

Jan 31, 2007, 1:26 AM
Post #25 of 103 (2602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] A Tired Question of Semantics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
It's happening all too often these days. Laugh

Colin Carstenz on the other hand can give a blow by blow description from climbs he's done 15 or 20 years ago. Irks me no end. He'll be walking past a crack at Frog that someone is struggling on and he can immediately let them know exactly where to put their hand and foot. Me on the other hand .......

I know what you mean... I spent my first couple of years climbing on top rope because that was what everyone in my group did... after our first trip to Arapiles (which consisted entirely of top roping) I came back to Adelaide, borrowed a rack and taught myself to lead... so then I repeated all the routes I had top roped and even though I had TR'd them in the distant past had a whole pile of "redpoints" that I led for the first time even though the only recollection of having climbed them was when I went to record them on The Crag.

Heh heh, I think a category of Onsight (AZ) would be fair enough Wink

Adam

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook