RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

winkwinklambonini

Sep 17, 2002, 3:13 AM
Post #1 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

How do you rack up?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious how other people rack up. This is because I recently changed my system, and it works really well.
I tied gear loops on my shoulder sling with spectra chord and semi-rigid tubing(vise grips work to maintain good tension so the tubing ends up nice and tight), because I tied them, they are adjustable. I also added one long one on the left side. Draws are on the left, gear on the right starting with stoppers and small cams which end up in the middle of my chest(wicked accessable). Lockers, Chordelette, and any doubles I have on my harness. Unlike racking on a harness, now I can reach any piece with either hand easily.

stevematthys

Sep 18, 2002, 2:21 AM
Post #2 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

How do you rack up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have one of those metolius slings with the sewn gear loops, i rack my stoppers and tri-cams on the first loop. on the second loop i rack cams. on the thrid loop i rack runners and long webbing. on the forth loop i rack quick draws. then i keep extra locking biners, nut tool, etc.... on my harness

farmerc

Sep 18, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #3 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two gear slings. one over each shoulder (obviously ) On my right I keep the set of nuts, all of my hexes, 12" slings and my webolette. On my left, I have All of my tricams and spare biners, and (on that rare occassion when i am borrowing a set) cams. I put the 24" and 48" slings over my shoulder. Nothing on my harness except maybe a waterbottle or descent shoes.

joemor

Sep 18, 2002, 7:17 AM
Post #4 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all pro and draws on my harness. pro on the front loops, and draws on the back.

slings over the sholder.

joe

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 18, 2002, 7:24 AM
Post #5 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything goes on my harness.

climbingcowboy

Sep 18, 2002, 7:46 AM
Post #6 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Metolius multi-loop double D sling I would link it to you but dont know how. This works great for all the routes I've been on. I rack small nuts and cams in front to largeer cams in back, if I need a #3 and up (BD) cams those go on my harness , on the separte rap-around loop on the sling I put ovals and lockers , on my harness I also have draws and my cordalette. then of coruse slings over the shoulder. The puls for me having it on a sling vrs pro on my harness is being able to see it which = less time screwing around which = not falling.

chuckd278

Sep 18, 2002, 12:23 PM
Post #7 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All on my harness and runners on my shoulders. Most climbs in my area are only 25 to 100 feet in length and all the gear I need can fit on my harness. With racking gear on shoulder slings I found that when the route gets pitched back it's harder for me to get to all of my gear. I rack my harness depending on how I will need to place gear. Many routes in my area are protected by left or right facing cracks and in order to place gear you only have your one hand free.

Chuck

rck_climber

Sep 18, 2002, 1:02 PM
Post #8 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I use a Singing Rock gear sling with three loops.

Generally, we group all the medium-sized gear (nuts 6-9, mid cams and hexes) on the first loop, the largest gear (nuts 10-13, big cams and hexes) on the second loop (this keeps the sling hanging straight on our side since all weight is in the middle and reduces the "swing" of the sling around your body), and the smallest gear (nuts 1-5 and micro-cams) on the back loop.

It's worked very well for us since the sling doesn't swing around your neck and body as much and all of the gear is grouped by size so you can quickly and easily find the right piece.

Hope this helps.

Mick

toobigtoclimb

Sep 18, 2002, 2:42 PM
Post #9 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try to get everything on my harness unless it's a long route. Then Metolius sling, nuts in front, cams next, misc. crap last.

radistrad

Sep 18, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #10 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get it all on my harness!
Small cams up front large cams towards the rear. Each cam has a carabiner on it and if I know I am going to place a particular cam I will put a 12" (1/2 shoulder) sling on the cam with a clip in 'biner on the sling.
I rack my stoppers, cordalett, cleaning tool and extra biners at the rear or my harness.
I always carry a dozen or so shoulder slings each with a clip in 'biner.
I have an Acr Teryx Targa harness, its gear loops are hugh!

skloppen

Sep 18, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #11 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just a beginner, so prehaps it's not the best racking but,

Everything goes on a modified black diamond double sling. I have attached five (I think) gear loops on each side to keep the gear from sliding arround and more organized.

right side (front to back): nuts on 2 biners, tricams, hexed on 2 biners, quickdraws, free biners

left side (front to back): cams on 5 bieners, a few quickdraws, cordalette and lockers for anchors

slings accross from left sholder to right side. ATC, nut tool, etc on harness.

munckee

Oct 6, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #12 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with the "everything on the harness" crowd. I can't stand having gear swinging around in my way on a shoulder sling. I have heard a solution to this: clip a biner on draw to the very front of your shoulder sling and then to the front loop on your harness to keep it from swinging around, but I still don't like the way it feels.

Anyway, I usually rack cams front right smallest to largest, stoppers and tricams smallest to largets front left and then split draws and lockers, etc between the two back loops. Slightly crowded, but it all fits.

tanner

Oct 6, 2002, 6:04 PM
Post #13 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

short and long slings over my shoulder. nuts on the front right gear loop, Larger nuts on one beiner, smaller on another cams and tricams on the left. draws and loose beiners on the back. I run a short sling from my the belay loop of my harness with a locker clipped on one of my gear loops

transse

Oct 7, 2002, 7:43 PM
Post #14 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rack all the gear on my harness. I put nuts front right, followed by a set of BD cams racked small to large. On the left I rack a set of TCUs small to large with any doubles of BD cams, followed by tricams. Draws/tripled slings split between back 2 loops. This works really well because you have basically a full set of cams on either side of your body. Although you rarely carry all of that gear on any pitch.

Jake

stoutclimb1

Oct 7, 2002, 8:16 PM
Post #15 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate gear on my shoulders, keep it on the harness, but thats just my opinion hey whatever floats your boat right!

bradbaker

Oct 7, 2002, 8:46 PM
Post #16 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It Depends (TM)

On long routes where quick gear changes are beneficial, I'll rack most of the stuff that I'll exchange on a single shoulder sling (nuts up front, followed by cams, then misc). Most of the slings still go on my harness. Belay gear goes on the back loops. Same goes for anything with a chimney where I'll want to move the gear around (left to right, front to back, etc).

For shorter routes where efficiency of the gear change doesn't matter as much, I'll often rack cams on the front loops of my harness, slings and belay gear on the rear loops and nuts and other misc items on my gear loop.

If I really know what pro I'll need for a short route, I just rack on my harness and leave the sling in the pack.

Generally, I rack each cam on its own biner and will extend it with a draw/sling if necessary. For nuts, I rack 4-6 nuts per biner.

Brad Baker

reno

Oct 7, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #17 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majority on the harness with slings over the shoulder and extra biners on one of those slings.

Harness as such: Nuts and Tri-Cams on the front left loop. Draws, lockers, and cordlette on the back left. Small Friends on the front right, larger cams on the back right.

Spare biners, as mentioned, are on a sling over a shoulder.

Best,

JRB

(Edited for a typo.)

[ This Message was edited by: reno on 2002-10-07 13:54 ]

jbrd528

Oct 7, 2002, 9:07 PM
Post #18 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is alot easier to have all your gear racked on a gear sling when you are swaping leads. My partner and I generally like to climb longer routes where we swap the leads. The only thing we keep on our harnesses is your own personal gear (belay/rap devise, several lockers, nut tool, cordalet). This way it saves time at each belay. Also if you have to lead with a pack it is hard to get at the gear that might be racked on your back gear loops.

tanner

Oct 8, 2002, 10:13 PM
Post #19 of 19 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Racking on a gear sling makes sense for swiching leads because sorting it out on the harness is a pain.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook