RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner the_shoe

Feb 14, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2780 views)
Shortcut

Web-o-lette.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got a Web-o-lette for free with the purchase of my new rope from Mountain Tools and I have a few questions for those who own one.

1. How the hell are you guys racking this monstronsity? They sent me the 14 foot big wall version. I tried racking it like a trad draw and it comes up two inches longer, which I can live with but curious if there might be a better way.

2. I was taught of the school where you build your anchors out of the climbing rope and equalize them with clove hitches. A way that I am very comfortable with and efficent with. How have you found the web-o-lette to be more efficent? One way that I can think of is that I can still build my anchor from the rope and use the web-o-lette as a master tie in for my second, so I don't have to place double biners on the runners of my gear so he can build his anchor with the rope.

3. Do you all find this a useful piece of gear? From the directions it sounds like it can come in very handy in rescue situations and aiding pitches.

Thanks

rocknice2

Feb 14, 2007, 3:32 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_shoe] Web-o-lette. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

????????????????????????????????

anykineclimb

Feb 14, 2007, 3:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Web-o-lette. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why would you use your rope to build the anchor when you have a webolette??

I prefer them over a cordolette as its less bulky.

rack it like you would a LONG runner (which, essentially, it is)

Partner epoch

Feb 14, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. How the hell are you guys racking this monstrosity?
  • I tri-fold it, then in half, then a fig 8. Seems to rack fairly well, and no bigger than a cordelette.

• 2. I was taught of the school where you build your anchors out of the climbing rope and equalize them with clove hitches. A way that I am very comfortable with and efficient with. How have you found the web-o-lette to be more efficient?
  • I use mine similar to how you would use a cordelette. Because there is less to it, there is less of a mess to deal with and with practice it is quick to plug a few pieces and equalize, but it is a trade off for the "shelf" of a cordelette. Follow the instructions and it becomes clear. While not within the parameters that were exhaustively discussed in the "death by cordelette" thread, it does the job and is useful for situations where weight may be a factor. In self rescue situations it can become an awesome tool if used correctly.

• 3. Do you all find this a useful piece of gear?
  • I own two and I love them. I am knowledgeable of at least a dozen different fundamental systems for anchoring and they definitely come in handy every time I bring them. Often I find it useful to carry one web-o-lette and one cordelette on long climbs. With a little planning and ingenuity you'll have it exactly where you need it, leaving you the ability to utilize your cordelette when it's really needed. They are also great for extended back country stints where weight defiantly becomes an issue.

• I personally recommend that anyone who climbs trad become aware and practiced in at least 3 anchoring fundamentals.

granite_grrl

Feb 14, 2007, 2:20 PM
    Post #5 of 7 (2681 views)
    Shortcut

Re: Web-o-lette. [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

I don't have a web-o-lette as long as yours, but I just fold mine in half till I feel its small enough, then wrap it up with one tail, kinda like you would with a rope.

Becasue I have the shorter one its great to reduce bulk, but it can be a pain if the gear isn't very close together. Usually its not a problem because I'll just slap one of my extra runners (I ususally carry two double lengths, and rarely have I used both on a climb) onto a piece to extend the reach of the web-o-lette.

I just use it in the same manner as I'd use a cordalette.

kevinheiss

Feb 14, 2007, 3:18 PM
    Post #6 of 7 (2649 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Go here

http://www.climerware.com/webolet3.htm

Partner euroford

Feb 16, 2007, 4:31 PM
    Post #7 of 7 (2559 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [kevinheiss] Web-o-lette. [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

web-o-lette seams like a silly thing to have in the first place.

cordollete, when used properly (lets not get into an anchor discussion thread again...) is for all puruposes equall or better, plus more versatile.

web-o-lette would be handy for setting up topropes i suppose.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
    Password: Remember me:

Go Register
    Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook