Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner climbinginchico

Mar 8, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #26 of 67 (4750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That looks very interesting...

Is it basically a short Trango Alpine Equalizer with extra rings sewn in and then rabbit runners sewn to those rings?

How long are the runners? I've contemplated taking a couple of the Alpine Eq's from my shop for evaluation. This seems tidier that using slings and biners to extend, and more redundant than using the longer equalizer.

Are you considering selling these Mal? (I'm assuming you made them for rgold) I'd be very interested in testing them out if you need more field testing!

maldaly

Mar 8, 2007, 3:06 AM
Post #27 of 67 (4738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico,
You've got the idea. rgold came up with it and I was intrigued enough to sew a few up for him. Don't know if it will ever be a product. Needs load cell testing at each anchor point to see if there is any real benefit. Also want to run it by Largo and Luebben.
mal-never use the damn things myself-daly

Partner climbinginchico

Mar 8, 2007, 3:13 AM
Post #28 of 67 (4732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How did the Alpine Eq fare in load testing? I'm assuming it did well enough, as you have it rated to 25 kn...

Can't see why this would be any lower than the strength of the rabbit runners, and equalization seems like a minimal concern. Would perhaps going to a skinnier (10mm) spectra reduce the friction?

Partner rgold

Mar 8, 2007, 3:31 AM
Post #29 of 67 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico, each arm is about 3 feet long. Given the performance and durability concerns about skinnier spectra, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it for the arms.

If friction proves to be too great a problem, I think the only hope would be to find a better replacement for the rings...everything that occurs to me seems like it might be pretty expensive...

Mal, please run it past anyone you think will take the time to think about it. In some cases, I think we know the response, though. Largo already hates the AE; god only knows the vituperation he'll bestow on a pimped-out version of it---be prepared to take cover.

If this topic continues to elicit responses, maybe it should be split off into a separate thread?

jakedatc

Mar 8, 2007, 3:43 AM
Post #30 of 67 (4710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If this topic continues to elicit responses, maybe it should be split off into a separate thread?

Sounds like a good plan.. i made a new thread.. maybe the mods wanna move some of these posts over there (or split off this thread and delete mind. i dont mind)

fun idea Rich.. hopefully it tests well

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #31 of 67 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RGold: Nice note. Haven't seen the article in question, but it sure sounds like it wouldn't make good lining for a birdcage.

Regarding the geekqualizer, I've already given my comments over at ST. Basically, I think it looks pretty cool.

At this point there are a fair number of neat new anchoring methods out there. In my opinion, the next step must be to test a few of 'em, to see how they perform. With a smart person designing the tests and looking at the data, hopefully this will do more than just say which rig performs the best, but can show why. In other words, I think we next need to learn what *elements* of certain rigs are producing what results. Then we can begin to refine the product, and steal the best elements from each rig, to make the best anchor setups.

Right now the feedback loop is not complete, so no real progress can be made that's any better than an educated guess.

GO

qwert

Mar 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #32 of 67 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just a quick switch back to the EDK:

could anyone please give my an explanation or a source why this knot is seen so negative in the US?
EuroDeathKnot. why? Yes it is used in europe for ages, but why death? just because of the rolling issue, thats more of a non issue, if you tie it properly?

what is better:

to rappel with a rope that is joined by an "EDK", with your tails being 29cm long after five rappels, instead of the 30cm you started with, or

to rappel with a rope that is joined with a double fischerman (or better yet a triple, you gotta be save) but makes your rapel about an hour longer, because that friggin thing gets stuck everywhere?

qwert

winkwinklambonini

Mar 8, 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #33 of 67 (4619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
I sent R&I the following letter on this general subject. It may prove to be too long to be published as is.

--------------------------

Real-world climbing decisions are always a matter of balancing various competing considerations. In the recent Gear and Safety guide, R&I has apparently decided against acknowledging the issues involved in favor opting for promoting rules, and has further decided to provide little or no discussion of its recommendations.

Of course, any discussion, no matter how relevant and focused, could only dilute the authority of the rules R&I chose to present. One cannot help but wonder whether the absence of a byline for these proclamations indicates the author's recognition of the nuances that have been swept under the table in pursuit of what seems to me to be an unrealistic certitude. It is certainly strange to see what one assumes to be critical observations about safety scattered incoherently throughout the issue as if their main purpose is to function as filler. Unless of course...that was their main purpose...

In some cases, R&I's commentary seems as uninformed as it is prescriptive. For example, the anonymous author of Frigging the Rigging discounts the claims that the EDK being is likely to jam as "ridiculous," arguing that when ropes do jam it isn't because of the resistance to pulling them. The only study that I know of that actually measured pulling resistance of various knots, by Peter Drohan, available as a .pdf download at http://www.bwrs.org.au/research/index.htm, came to the following conclusion:

"The Double Fisherman’s Knot has traditionally been the knot used to join two ropes. Whilst the strength of this knot cannot be questioned, its performance in rope pull down tests was poor and for that reason this knot is not recommend for joining ropes in canyoneering where rope jam could be an issue."

The same anonymous author goes on to say that the EDK's potential for "capsizing" was the cause of a fatality in Zion, but that fatality occurred with a figure-eight variant that had been known for some years to be inferior, precisely because of its greatly increased tendency to capsize.

Other recommendations seem a bit quaint. The idea, in Don't Have a Bum Rap, that a few biners will keep 60m-70m of rope from blowing around in a high wind is certainly questionable, and there is no mention of the potential risk of damage to the biners that might occur as a result of being thrown down and then bouncing around at the end of a rope. The author claims it is "almost always" possible, in mid-rappel, to free ropes stuck by virtue of knotting the ends, thereby immediately begging the question. How easy will it be, for example, if the ropes blow horizontally and jam 60m away? Meanwhile, the option to lower the first climber down, which solves the rope blowing problem as well as eliminating the danger of the first climber rappelling off the ends, is never mentioned as an option.

I think R&I would perform a more valuable service to the climbing community if, rather than promulgating rules that are destined to be ignored, it would instead air safety discussions that are attuned to the variety of choices climbers face, that expose the pros and cons of making those choices, and that own up to some of the genuine uncertainty we have to live with.

Hope you don't mind RGold, couldn't resist hacking it up a bit...

In the recent Gear and Safety guide, R&I has apparently decided against acknowledging [all] the issues involved in favor of promoting rules.
For example, the anonymous author of Frigging the Rigging discounts the claims that the EDK being is likely to jam as "ridiculous," arguing that when ropes do jam it isn't because of the resistance to pulling them. The only study that I know of that actually measured pulling resistance of various knots, by Peter Drohan, available as a .pdf download at http://www.bwrs.org.au/research/index.htm, came to the following conclusion:

"Whilst the strength of the [Double Fisherman’s Knot] cannot be questioned, its performance in rope pull down tests was poor and for that reason this knot is not recommend for joining ropes in canyoneering where rope jam could be an issue."

The same anonymous author goes on to say that the EDK's potential for "capsizing" was the cause of a fatality in Zion, but that fatality occurred with a figure-eight variant that had been known for some years to be inferior, precisely because of its greatly increased tendency to capsize.

Other recommendations seem a bit quaint. The idea, in Don't Have a Bum Rap, that a few biners will keep 60m-70m of rope from blowing around in a high wind is certainly questionable, and the author claims it is "almost always" possible, in mid-rappel, to free ropes stuck by virtue of knotting the ends. How easy will it be, for example, if the ropes blow horizontally and jam 60m away? Meanwhile, lowering the first climber down is never mentioned as an option.

(This post was edited by winkwinklambonini on Mar 8, 2007, 2:32 PM)

redpoint73

Mar 8, 2007, 3:15 PM
Post #34 of 67 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
just a quick switch back to the EDK:

could anyone please give my an explanation or a source why this knot is seen so negative in the US?
EuroDeathKnot. why? Yes it is used in europe for ages, but why death? just because of the rolling issue, thats more of a non issue, if you tie it properly?

what is better:

to rappel with a rope that is joined by an "EDK", with your tails being 29cm long after five rappels, instead of the 30cm you started with, or . . .

The EDK mostly gets a bad rap due to accidents (some fatal) caused by the figure-8 variant of the EDK (called the EDK-8 by some). The EDK-8 can start to roll at as little as 200 lbs., and sucks up 3 times as much rope then the overhand EDK as it rolls, making it very easy for the end of the rope to roll through the knot and untie it.

See the link posted above:

http://www.xmission.com/...yer/testing/EDK.html

The writer does mention a case where an injury resulted from the "good" overhand version of the EDK.

The writer of the webpage also states that for the overhand-EDK, the knot cinches tighter each time it rolls "most of the time". The examples of the load dropping as knot rolls in his tests look primarily to apply to the knot being tied with very different diameter ropes, and don't come close to approaching body weight. The lowest figure is around 1000 lbs.

He goes on to say that he does use the overhand version of the EDK for some rappels where getting the rope snagged can be an issue. But does not recommend it when the knot can experience more-than-bodyweight loads.

(This post was edited by redpoint73 on Mar 8, 2007, 3:18 PM)

bbirtle

Mar 8, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #35 of 67 (4557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
reg wrote:
well - safe? i like john longs new phrase - "good enough" - even an 8 will roll but not likely - an edk correctly tied and backed up with another tight to it well, i'd say that's as good as it gets!

what say you

Except the second, unnecessary knot defeats the purpose of using the first instead of a double fisherman.

Jay

I agree with Jay. ShockedShocked Whoa! ShockedShocked Did I really say that? Smile

Partner camhead

Mar 8, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #36 of 67 (4555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint73 wrote:

The writer does mention a case where an injury resulted from the "good" overhand version of the EDK.

uhhh, read the article more thoroughly. He never says if the accident was from a "good" version of the overhand EDK or not. He just says it was concerning the overhand EDK.

If you read the detailed ranger's report of the accident in question, you will see that the knot was dicked with– loosened and such– immediately before the accident. The knot also had reportedly "between 6 and 8 inches of tail."

Also, right before the accident, the rappelers moved the rope so that the knot was perhaps two feet below the anchors, causing the load to pull at a greater angle on the rope.

None of these factors really seem to add up to a "good" version of the EDK.

(personal note: if I am ever particularly sketched on using an EDK for whatever reason, I simply back it up with another EDK. Any over-analyzers want to debate the sage wisdom of this practice?)

Partner camhead

Mar 8, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #37 of 67 (4530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbirtle] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa, second post because I did not see this after I mentioned the EDK backup.

jt512 wrote:
reg wrote:
well - safe? i like john longs new phrase - "good enough" - even an 8 will roll but not likely - an edk correctly tied and backed up with another tight to it well, i'd say that's as good as it gets!

what say you

Except the second, unnecessary knot defeats the purpose of using the first instead of a double fisherman.

Jay

Theoretically, yes, it defeats the purpose. In my practical experience, less so. I'm sure Jay will find a hole in my logic.

Option II: Back up the EDk with another EDK for the heavier climber, or the climber riding the pig or whatever. Then, the lightest climber rappels last, after untying the backup. duh.

dingus

Mar 8, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #38 of 67 (4529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree as to the origins of the EDK moniker relating to failures of any kind.

I think the name arises from appearance alone.

Many of us merkins grew up in this sport using the x2 fisherman or even an in-line8. These are beefy, bulky knots.

The EDK LOOKS jingus, how could such an insubstantial knot possibly hold two ropes together, looking at it it almost defies common sense. Then we see pics of you rad Euros, cloved hitched to big old rusty ring bolts, knots joined with silli string looking knots we we think you must have a collective death wish.

I got over my EDK reluctance, use it all the time. I don't think this old dog will ever cotton to the notion or the logic of a single clove to an anchor, these rationalizations I've heard all equate to 'good enough' and I do not agree.

Anyway, the name is based on image, not on incidents.

DMT

redpoint73

Mar 8, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #39 of 67 (4524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
redpoint73 wrote:

uhhh, read the article more thoroughly. He never says if the accident was from a "good" version of the overhand EDK or not. He just says it was concerning the overhand EDK.

If you read the detailed ranger's report of the accident in question, you will see that the knot was dicked with– loosened and such– immediately before the accident. The knot also had reportedly "between 6 and 8 inches of tail."

Also, right before the accident, the rappelers moved the rope so that the knot was perhaps two feet below the anchors, causing the load to pull at a greater angle on the rope.

None of these factors really seem to add up to a "good" version of the EDK.

(personal note: if I am ever particularly sketched on using an EDK for whatever reason, I simply back it up with another EDK. Any over-analyzers want to debate the sage wisdom of this practice?)

I did read the article. I should have been more clear, when I said "good" overhand version, I meant this as opposed to the "bad" EDK-8 variant.

I brought this up to illustrate that accidents apparently can and have happened with the overhand-EDK, not just the EDK-8. I agree that these types of accidents can most likely be attributed to too little tail, badly dressed, or poorly tensioned overhand-EDK knots.

dingus

Mar 8, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #40 of 67 (4523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Theoretically, yes, it defeats the purpose. In my practical experience, less so. I'm sure Jay will find a hole in my logic.

A doubled EDK does not 'defeat' the purpose, ie less likely to get stuck. Less likely than what???

A x2 fisherman? No.... way.
x2 EDK knots still stand up when you pull on the rope, just like a single, raising the knots away from the rock and drastically reducing friction, ergo less likely to get stuck.

DMT

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #41 of 67 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
camhead wrote:

A doubled EDK does not 'defeat' the purpose, ie less likely to get stuck. Less likely than what???

A x2 fisherman? No.... way.
x2 EDK knots still stand up when you pull on the rope, just like a single, raising the knots away from the rock and drastically reducing friction, ergo less likely to get stuck.

DMT

This is true, but another thing the EDK has going for it is that of all the joining knots, it has the lowest volume. This is irrelevant when the issue is getting stuck on an edge, but when it comes to getting stuck in a constriction, this may be more important than which side sits up. And in this case, setting a second EDK after the first doubles the volume of the knot, thus reducing the benefit of the knot.

Also, unless the second EDK was cinched up tight against the first, I'd be afraid of it getting very easily caught, even on an edge, while flopping around.

I often set a single overhand up tight against the EDK in one strand. This only increases the volume slightly, while making it impossible for the knot to roll. Best of both worlds, IMO.

Looks like this:

GO

bbirtle

Mar 8, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #42 of 67 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
...I often set a single overhand up tight against the EDK in one strand. This only increases the volume slightly, while making it impossible for the knot to roll. Best of both worlds, IMO.

I like the idea of your backup knot and might start using it as a nice compromise.

By the way I think I read somewhere that the EDK should not be used on ropes of differing diameters, like those in your photo, as the failure strength can be signifigantly lower in that case.

(This post was edited by bbirtle on Mar 8, 2007, 8:20 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #43 of 67 (4388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbirtle wrote:
cracklover wrote:
...I often set a single overhand up tight against the EDK in one strand. This only increases the volume slightly, while making it impossible for the knot to roll. Best of both worlds, IMO.

I like the idea of your backup knot and might start using it as a nice compromise.

Thanks. It's probably overkill, but, I think, at very little cost.

In reply to:
By the way I think I read somewhere that the EDK should not be used on ropes of differing diameters, like those in your photo, as the failure strength can be signifigantly lower in that case.

Right, and what's the failure mode? It's not slipping, it's rolling/capsizing, and with the knot configured as I have it, it cannot roll.

That's exactly why I started doing it. I climb with double ropes, but with a system where one of the ropes is actually a thin single, and is a bit bigger than the other, a true 1/2 rope.

Hey, I'm not as dumb as I look. ;)

GO

dingus

Mar 8, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #44 of 67 (4378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey I like that cracklover I'll have to give it a try.

One comment relative to stuckiness...

barrel-type knots get stuck easily in V-slots, not just cracks but little variations of edges and what have you. I've stuck a few x2 fisherman knots this way.... they can stick on some of the most insubstantial things and then wedge ever tighter when you pull. Stuck one this way on the first pitch of Serenity once.

Anyway, by standing up the EDK knot keeps it out of the bottoms of the Vs and thus (in my theory anyway) is still an improvement over a fat knots being pulled through. But I don't double as a practice anyway, cept for the very first rap.

DMT

skinnyclimber

Mar 9, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #45 of 67 (4334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

I often set a single overhand up tight against the EDK in one strand. This only increases the volume slightly, while making it impossible for the knot to roll. Best of both worlds, IMO.

GO

This is a cool Idea. It seems intuitive that it would not roll any more. BUT even though I'm convinced it's totally safe, I'd love to find out what the failure mode is now? Does the rope break? Is an experiement in order?

roy_hinkley_jr

Mar 9, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #46 of 67 (4307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbirtle wrote:

This one belongs in the myth collection along with microfractures and unsafe bowlines. It keeps getting repeated ad nauseum despite several tests showing it's false: ropes with very different diameters are just fine with a properly tied OOB (offset overhand bend, aka EDK).

psprings

Mar 9, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #47 of 67 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bbirtle wrote:

I'm curious about the differing diameter question. I was thinking of getting a tag line of somewhere between 7 and 8.5mm for rapping. I usually climb on a 10.3 sterling. I always snug the knot [and I actually load it while clipped in to the anchor still].

Is the EDK dangerous on differing diameters without tying a back up on one side like cracklover does. Will it hold if it's well dressed without any back up knot? Any numbers on load rates? Do you think it'd be getting lower that 1000lbs?

Thanks,
PS

(This post was edited by psprings on Mar 9, 2007, 4:51 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 9, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #48 of 67 (4292 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by cracklover [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner cracklover

Mar 9, 2007, 4:15 PM
Post #49 of 67 (4277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] R&I gives EDK one star [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinnyclimber wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

This is a cool Idea. It seems intuitive that it would not roll any more. BUT even though I'm convinced it's totally safe, I'd love to find out what the failure mode is now? Does the rope break? Is an experiement in order?

I imagine it would break inside the knot at approx 60-70% of the strength of the rope. I'm basing this on the fact that this is the typical strength for overhand knots. My recollection is that climbing ropes tend to break in static pull tests at around 4000 lbs. In other words, pretty sure it wouldn't roll, and it wouldn't break.

Dingus - good point on the V-slots vis-a-vis the EDK. Still, I can't believe you're getting involved in a technical discussion! Will the real DMT please stand up?

GO

Partner rgold

Mar 9, 2007, 4:49 PM
Post #50 of 67 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too use Gabe's back-up knot, but I learned from Knudenoggin that it matters which strand you put it in.

If the EDK is going to roll, the roll is initiated by a turn that lengthens under the pressure of the rappel strands. That longer turn can then pass over an adjacent turn and the roll begins.

So, the stopper knot should be placed in the tail that will keep the roll-initiating turn from lengthening. This is the turn most immediately in contact with the rappel strands The contorted language here notwithstanding, it is totally simple to spot the roll-initiating strand and so decide which end to knot. The following picture makes this clear, I hope.

Edit: Before someone scolds me, I purposely tied the ends shorter than usual so that they'd fit in a closeup of the knot.

(This post was edited by rgold on Mar 9, 2007, 7:06 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook