Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Directions / Beta for Little River Canyon, AL
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

poomasta

Mar 28, 2007, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Directions / Beta for Little River Canyon, AL  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Little_River_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After hours of searching online, I still have no clue how to get to the popular climbing areas within Little River Canyon. So to all those that are working to keep access limited - congrats...ur doing a helluva job!

I would really appreciate any info on how to get to the major areas, some good routes in the 11 to mid-12 range, and any other beta that might prove useful for a first time visitor.

I'm headed up to camp/climb at Sandrock this weekend (Fri & Sat), but would like to go check out the canyon as well. For what it's worth, I promise to keep a low profile and do all the things good responsible climbers should do while venturing into access-senstive areas ;-)

Thanks!
Mike

saxfiend

Mar 28, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Directions / Beta for Little River Canyon, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a good reason that Little River is not in any guidebooks and otherwise kept under the radar. Climbing there is pretty much at the pleasure of the park service; if it gets too popular, access could be cut off entirely. This has happened at other (privately-owned) crags in Alabama.

The best advice I can offer is to hook up with someone who has climbed there and go with them.

JL

poomasta

Mar 28, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Directions / Beta for Little River Canyon, AL [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, I'm aware of that, but I've had a hard time finding someone to show me around (i've even posted requests on RC.com Tongue)

But I can always ask again: anyone gonna be at LRC on Saturday that wouldn't mind showing two climbers at least one area there?

Is the park service open to sharing what they know about the climbing areas?

Thanks,
Mike

bernard

Mar 28, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not that its necessarily access sensitive, it is public land after all.......its just that an understanding has developed over time between the local/regional climbing community and the park service that the park's infrastructure....mainly parking.....cannot support the level of visitation that widespread publicity would encourage. There is not budget or resources to enhance what is there to respond to a swell of climbing visitors analogous to the Red, the New, etc.......and if that were to occur, the management folks would likely resort to climbing restrictions in order to mitigate impact.

Try posting your inquiries at the Southeastern Climbers Coalition website. Likely someone there can PM you with some general directions to the various crags but you will be on your own to suss out specific routes.......you are not likely going to get a finely detailed list or topos.....you will have to do it like everyone else who comes to the canyon does it......DIY......examine routes from the ground and make your climbing decisions based on your observations and intuition. To get to know the areas and routes intimately, you have put some time in......self tutelage, as it were.

This is a beautiful time of year to visit......the best, maybe......but some areas will be warm

wanlessrm

Mar 28, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call True Adventure Sports. They do guided trip in the canyon but will probably give you directions to the climbing areas.
Isreal is the owners name.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook