Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner rgold

Apr 16, 2007, 3:57 PM
Post #26 of 45 (853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The fall described here is a factor .22 fall. With an 80 kg leader, a rope with a UIAA rating of 8.5 kN, and a static belay, one would expect 17% stretch, a bit less than 8 feet, which would put the fallen leader about 13 feet below the bolt. The additional 5 feet, if that's how much there was, must have come from slack in the system and belayer motion.

stevej

Apr 16, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #27 of 45 (843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Have you seen some one getting hurt from falling ?

If so, can you tell us about it

I wish there was a one eyebrow raised smilie face. I indeed see someone who has been hurt by falling every single day. I was around for that accident, but I don't really remember it.

From reports of my accident the rope didn't catch me before I hit the ledge. The route was runout, and I'm sure I was aware of the dangers, figured I wouldn't fall on easy ground, and lost the gamble. Nothing to do with falling further than expected, or rope strech or bad belaying.

I will say that the fall lengths do interest me because the idea of ever hitting another ledge terrifies me!

But this thread is to serve as a reminder to people to be careful and to maybe understand lead falls a little better. I'd rather not have this conversation turn into what happens when you hit a ledge, but what to keep in mind so you won't.

Stop, don't indulge him!!! You've been around long enough to know what major_sorbet's real interest is - he's probably masturbating feverishly at the description of another climbing accident.

joshy8200

Apr 16, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #28 of 45 (827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevej] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those numbers don't seem that surprising at all. You factor in the exaggeration affect (I'm not picking here...it's just a usual phenomenon.) And 2-3 above the bolt should be a 6 footer. So a 10 footer 3 feet out from the bolt is not anything to be 'surprised' by.

Also think about this. Every factor that adds distance to the fall doubles. Ie: You think you're 2-3 feet above the bolt, but you're actually 3.75 feet above the bolt. Well you're actually adding 1.5 feet to a fall estimated from the 3 feet above the bolt. This would also apply to your rope stretch and any slack in the system of course and those numbers would add up quickly.

Just something to think about.

chossmonkey

Apr 16, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #29 of 45 (813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevej] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stevej wrote:
Stop, don't indulge him!!! You've been around long enough to know what major_sorbet's real interest is - he's probably masturbating feverishly at the description of another climbing accident.

If so he should go back and read some of the threads he has posted to here as he has already probably masturbated to this one. It really makes me wonder if Majid really reads any of the posts he "responds" to.

chossmonkey

Apr 16, 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #30 of 45 (798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Exactly the reason why we posted this.

I guess the range of comments doesn't really surprise me. Its too bad so many people who have decided to put in their $.02 have missed the point.

For what its worth there was no rope slippage as we were using a Gri-Gri. There was a small amount of slack out, as in how anyone who isn't constantly shortroping their partner will normally have. Rebecca was not anchored and she did get pulled up some on each fall.

joshy8200

Apr 16, 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #31 of 45 (791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
In reply to:

Exactly the reason why we posted this.

I guess the range of comments doesn't really surprise me. Its too bad so many people who have decided to put in their $.02 have missed the point.

I didn't mean to 'miss the point' by adding my $.02 at all. I get the point of being extremely aware of the possible distance of a fall, which y'alls' experiment does a very good job at pointing out sometimes we underestimate the distances that we could possibly fall.

I only meant to chime in that there a quite a few factors that we may overlook when estimating how far we will fall vs how far we will actually fall.

The comment about exaggeration is meant to point out that a lot of times we will may think we have fallen farther than 'possible' or farther than we should have...But in actuality (in climbing) those claims can be explained by the phenomenon I spoke of.

dynosore

Apr 16, 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #32 of 45 (785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbrain wrote:

In reply to:
To recap for those with reading comprehension similar to dynosore's level. Everything from the belayer's perspective was done correctly.

yet in your original post, microbrain, you wrote:

In reply to:
The belayer got a broken nose from the impact.
In reply to:
Both climbers are worried that the belayer was not prompt in locking off.

Yeah, how did I ever get the impression the belayer could have done a better job, standing directly under the climber when 2 steps to the side would have saved them a broken nose and still given a safe belay, and by your own story it's questionable whether they were ready and locked off to catch the fall....my comprehension is more than adequate, work on YOUR presentation. And you're an idiot if you think it's the climber's fault because he didn't ANNOUNCE his fall intentions, the belayer should be ready to catch a fall AT ANY TIME.

microbarn

Apr 16, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #33 of 45 (772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why I hadn't posted in a public forum before.

In reply to:
Both climbers are worried that the belayer was not prompt in locking off.

To mean that we thought of that issue already. The belayer was giving slack at the time on an ATC, and his hand was out of brake position to facilitate that.

The point about standing to the side is mute. The normal recommendation is to stand under the first bolt after the climber is clipped to the second bolt. This climber was all the way to the third bolt.

dynosore wrote:
work on YOUR presentation

point taken... you seem to understand now, and you are just argumentative through the rest of your post. I don't need to side track the thread defending any more.

(This post was edited by microbarn on Apr 16, 2007, 5:36 PM)

csproul

Apr 16, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #34 of 45 (745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or moot even.Cool

microbarn

Apr 16, 2007, 6:14 PM
Post #35 of 45 (741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Laugh good catch Laugh I will leave it as mute for others to laugh too.

psprings

Apr 16, 2007, 6:44 PM
Post #36 of 45 (718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to let it go, microbarn... good work muting the flames! :D

Anyway, thanks for posting you 2. I'd agree there are definately too many people not thinking seriously about what could happen during a lead fall.

I think this is especially neglected when clipping the second bolt [and even third] that can lead to ground falls.

And on top of that, many belayers will sit down on the most comfortable belay seat they can find, not standing close to the wall. And let's admit it, often it's a GF belaying, and they weigh less than the macho BF whose leading [I'm including myself here :D]... and if a lead fall happens, you fall farther because the belayer not only gets pulled up, but also towards the wall.

Good points, everyone. Reminds me that it's good to tell your belayer to stand into the wall and pay attention.

Peter

psprings

Apr 16, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #37 of 45 (714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psprings] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As an addendum:

Maybe people aren't falling enough and there aren't enough falls to keep belayers sharp. I know lot's of leaders that will "take" instead of falling, including myself at times. There are leaders out there who only have a couple of whippers in their climbing carrier because they take so much!

Perhaps everyone should learn to fall more SO THAT belayers can practice staying more attentive. [I'm talking sport climbing here; obviously falling on tenuous gear is a judgement call.]

PS

(This post was edited by psprings on Apr 16, 2007, 6:49 PM)

jt512

Apr 16, 2007, 6:53 PM
Post #38 of 45 (706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
I have a rather soft 10.2 (mammut eiger) and weight 180. Couple that with the fact that we have very short routes at the crags I frequent, and it means i've hit the ground more than i like.

You know, actually, you're never supposed to hit the ground. I think you have a bigger problem than a stretchy rope.

Jay

jt512

Apr 16, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #39 of 45 (698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
dynosore wrote:
In reply to:
We also gave the leader an ear full for the unannounced practice lead fall.

Verses giving the belayer an earful for not being ready to catch a fall? Nice Crazy

The belayer caught the fall. The climb was easy and the leader was climbing fast. The belayer was trying to give an appropriate amount of slack to ensure the leader wasn't hindered.

To recap for those with reading comprehension similar to dynosore's level. Everything from the belayer's perspective was done correctly.

Unfortunately for the belayer, his perspective was apparently from directly below the leader. Do you think that was correct?

Jay

jt512

Apr 16, 2007, 7:04 PM
Post #40 of 45 (689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
It is strange, but I noticed that shorter falls ( 5-6 ft) that I have taken since then were actually worse -- I felt more of a rope jerk, I was slamming into the rock weirdly, etc.

Nothing weird about that at all. The falls are short and hard because your belayer is pulling you into the wall, instead of giving you slack and a dynamic belay. By any chance, is this the same belayer who caught you on your first, long fall? If so, the psychology makes sense: he thought he dropped you too far the first time, so now he's pulling in slack (perhaps unconsciously), resulting in shorter, harder, and potentially more injurious falls.

Jay

jt512

Apr 16, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #41 of 45 (679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
The point about standing to the side is mute [sic].

The belayer was injured in the fall and you think the point is moot? "Microbrain" it is.

In reply to:
The normal recommendation is to stand under the first bolt after the climber is clipped to the second bolt.

Maybe that's the "normal recommendation" in Pennsylvania. In the rest of the climbing world, we realize that the belayer should almost never stand directly below the climber. Standing a little off to the side reduces the chances that the belayer will be hit by rockfall or by the climber himself.

Jay

wanderlustmd

Apr 16, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #42 of 45 (666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psprings] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

psprings wrote:
As an addendum:

Maybe people aren't falling enough and there aren't enough falls to keep belayers sharp. I know lot's of leaders that will "take" instead of falling, including myself at times. There are leaders out there who only have a couple of whippers in their climbing carrier because they take so much!

Perhaps everyone should learn to fall more SO THAT belayers can practice staying more attentive. [I'm talking sport climbing here; obviously falling on tenuous gear is a judgement call.]

PS

I don't know if you're trolling, but the last thing I want to do is take a whipper as a way of testing my belayer. I see what you're saying; people should learn what it's like to catch a lead fall, but in the way that Nate and Rebecca did it: a controlled enviroment where everyone knows what's up. What you seem to be suggesting is a random ping to see if your belayer is awake. All the above stuff about proper aniticipation of fall length, etc. aside, it indeed shouldn't matter since belayer's should be paying attention all the time, right? In reality, I think we'd have more accidents.

People just need to learn to belay properly and pay attention. It's not that hard....

psprings

Apr 16, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #43 of 45 (651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's not what I'm saying at all, actually. You misunderstand. I'm not talking about random "testing" of the belayer or non-random testing at all; I'm talking about taking a fall when you're coming off instead of a down-climb + take.

The point is, often times, when people know they are going to be falling, instead of ACTUALLY falling, they tend to "take". I simply suggest that since leaders know that they are "coming off", that instead of taking, they should fall and let their belayer know that they are falling. This does not prevent the leader from letting their belayer know verbally that they are going to be falling instead of taking.

I don't think that most sport climbing falls result in injury, and I don't think that never falling is a solution that keeps people from getting hurt. If anything, it makes them less safe for when a fall does occur.

Hope that clears up my point; I think were talking about 2 different situations. I agree with you on random testing; it's not smart to not let your belayer know when you're falling. I'm usually saying things like "watch me" "freaking small holds up here... ugh!" "holy crow, Batman, I'm about to fly!".

Peter

curt

Apr 17, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #44 of 45 (576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
It is strange, but I noticed that shorter falls ( 5-6 ft) that I have taken since then were actually worse -- I felt more of a rope jerk, I was slamming into the rock weirdly, etc.

Nothing weird about that at all. The falls are short and hard because your belayer is pulling you into the wall, instead of giving you slack and a dynamic belay. By any chance, is this the same belayer who caught you on your first, long fall? If so, the psychology makes sense: he thought he dropped you too far the first time, so now he's pulling in slack (perhaps unconsciously), resulting in shorter, harder, and potentially more injurious falls.

Jay

In addition, of course, there is less rope in the system to stretch and absorb the energy generated.

Curt

deadhorse

Apr 17, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #45 of 45 (567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] lead falls - how far do you go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
You know, actually, you're never supposed to hit the ground. I think you have a bigger problem than a stretchy rope.

Jay
In normal climb circumstances I would agree, but the groundfall I was talking about was a R rated trad climb. I'm not trying to blame it all on the rope, bad belaying an the R rating were just as big of factors- but don't get the wrong idea, this wasn't an ankle breaker, just an ankle tweaker.
In reply to:
I hate it when you are falling, and you have time to think "hey I should have stopped by now".

>Cam

YES! I was working a "project" climb's crux and blew it, for the first time, and it was only at like the 22 ft mark. My tiny belayer (she's 100 lbs, I'm 180) was way back from the base. All I had in my head was "I wonder if she's gonna catch me before I hit the ground..." My ass finally came to a stop a few feet off the deck.
Kinda makes you happy when you realize you should have been scared, but were only curious instead! Wink

(This post was edited by deadhorse on Apr 17, 2007, 4:30 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook